Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix

Zer0

Team Captain
May 16, 2019
NSW/ACT
AFL Club
Melbourne
Anyone got info on this logo from the early noughties?

IMG_1225.JPG

View attachment 922629

As far as I know, it was a sparsely used secondary logo introduced to ensure we had some form of cat to use on merchandise and marketing materials. At the time, we were using the formal-looking 'Geelong Football Club' and 'GFC' logo as the primary logo

GEELONG VECTOR LOGOTYPE | Geelong, Geelong cats, Geelong football club

It's interesting to note that the secondary logo above never really caught on with many media sources, who continued using either the 'GFC' wordmark or the 80's-90's cat in graphics until late 2007 when the new logos were introduced

I haven't got any images unfortunately, but I do remember seeing the secondary logo on AFL Live 2003, as well as just the Cats eyes on a handful of old member caps. I don't think it was used any further than roughly 2004, and not long after the 2007 Premiership the ageing GFC logo was replaced by the two logos we see today, now with the snarling Cat featuring primarily and a silhouette Cat used fairly commonly, but I'd still refer to it as a secondary logo

Geelong Football Club - Wikipedia
Geelong cats footy logo!! | Geelong football club, Geelong ...

DiamondGuy

Le goûter qui »BANG«
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwich, St Kilda

View attachment 922629
Someone's been on the trademarks website. ;)

I seem to remember it being used in/on the "Cat Chat" magazine I used to receive but I couldn't find any examples just now.

However, I did find the following. A financial statement from 2002 and Select collector cards from 2002 and 2003.

2002a.jpg

2003.jpg
2002d.jpg

Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
As far as I know, it was a sparsely used secondary logo introduced to ensure we had some form of cat to use on merchandise and marketing materials. At the time, we were using the formal-looking 'Geelong Football Club' and 'GFC' logo as the primary logo

GEELONG VECTOR LOGOTYPE | Geelong, Geelong cats, Geelong football club

It's interesting to note that the secondary logo above never really caught on with many media sources, who continued using either the 'GFC' wordmark or the 80's-90's cat in graphics until late 2007 when the new logos were introduced

I haven't got any images unfortunately, but I do remember seeing the secondary logo on AFL Live 2003, as well as just the Cats eyes on a handful of old member caps. I don't think it was used any further than roughly 2004, and not long after the 2007 Premiership the ageing GFC logo was replaced by the two logos we see today, now with the snarling Cat featuring primarily and a silhouette Cat used fairly commonly, but I'd still refer to it as a secondary logo

Geelong Football Club - Wikipedia
Geelong cats footy logo!! | Geelong football club, Geelong ...
Worth mentioning that Geelong also moved away from the GFC moniker so as not to be mistaken with the global financial crisis.

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s

Attachments

• 1597171409277.png
    1597171409277.png
    560.6 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Worth mentioning that Geelong also moved away from the GFC moniker so as not to be mistaken with the global financial crisis.

Haha! Yep this is one of the biggest myths getting around. The new logos were implemented for the 2008 season, and in fact were even on some 2007 Premiers merch. Given the lead-in time for designing and implementing new logos, the process would likely have started in late 2006.

The GFC didn’t even start till mid-2007 and hit its peak in 2008, well after Geelong had commissioned the new logos.

that actually looks really good IMO, and with some polish of the modern times and probably a more breathable type of lycra, would be a great modern version of the lace up.

Haha! Yep this is one of the biggest myths getting around. The new logos were implemented for the 2008 season, and in fact were even on some 2007 Premiers merch. Given the lead-in time for designing and implementing new logos, the process would likely have started in late 2006.

The GFC didn’t even start till mid-2007 and hit its peak in 2008, well after Geelong had commissioned the new logos.
And I don’t think the financial crisis was called the “GFC” until after the logo was released (week after the 2007 GF), it was mostly called the “credit crunch” in late 2007.

Interesting. I noticed AFL Brandzone specifically states not to refer to the club as GFC. I wonder if this is simply to distance themselves from their old logo and merchandise or if it’s a deliberate choice to not be likened to the Globak Financial Crisis. I assume it has nothing to do with the Global Financial Crisis however we can’t see when they decided they don’t want to be referred to by GFC, had they made this choice along with the new logo then it would have nothing to do with the crisis but it could easily have come in a few years later when GFC was the term to refer to the crisis.
3FDB6867-3174-40B6-9926-1D2FD5859A9A.jpeg

Back