Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

North board says that anyone who wants to leave their great and mighty club is suddenly sh*t. :rolleyes:
Nobody has said anything like that since yesterday's trade, comments about her have been overwhelmingly positive (especially compared to the s**t spoken in this thread about West Coast recruit Kellie Gibson). Jess was regularly criticised during her time as a North player for her ball use, nothing more to it.

Nobody has said anything like that since yesterday's trade, comments about her have been overwhelmingly positive (especially compared to the sh*t spoken in this thread about West Coast recruit Kellie Gibson). Jess was regularly criticised during her time as a North player for her ball use, nothing more to it.
In fairness to my fellow posters Kellie Gibson didn't exactly play the situation of transitioning well. So she probably deserved many of the comments she got thrown her way. She also didn't back up her big mouth with performances on the field. Kara having a few words for her at the first AFLW Derby is all I needed to see to confirm some of the rumours that were swirling around.

I know a few people at WC don't really want her there (not because of her footy talent obviously). If they had their time again I'm really not sure they would have grabbed her.

Meanwhile Trend has been ultra appreciative of North - like many of the other Freo players we've lost and probably deserve to be thanked rather than told "well she was only fringe".

Nobody has said anything like that since yesterday's trade, comments about her have been overwhelmingly positive (especially compared to the sh*t spoken in this thread about West Coast recruit Kellie Gibson). Jess was regularly criticised during her time as a North player for her ball use, nothing more to it.
lmao ok

Meanwhile Trend has been ultra appreciative of North - like many of the other Freo players we've lost and probably deserve to be thanked rather than told "well she was only fringe".
Probably, but suggesting the evaluation of Trend as a player has changed post-trade is wrong. The evaluation of Gibson as a player on here has definitely changed though. Nobody on here questioned her selection in the AA squad at the time. In fact, the poster you're defending said this:
(Stay Kellie Gibson, please...).

And in other news - 6 Freo players have made the AA squad:
Bowers, Hooker, Houghton, Antonio, Gibson, Duffy

Probably, but suggesting the evaluation of Trend as a player has changed post-trade is wrong. The evaluation of Gibson as a player on here has definitely changed though. Nobody on here questioned her selection in the AA squad at the time. In fact, the poster you're defending said this:
Nah that doesn't change anything. Like I posted, it was how she left and the complete lack of appreciation/respect. She showed her true colours imo. Michelle Cowan also had some questionable behaviour around that same time and it exposed some of the issues that had been going on internally. We are entitled to adjust our opinions of people as new information comes to light. IP had only been exposed to her playing footy at that point in time (nothing off the field).

Proof is kind of there with the outcome. Fremantle struggled with Cowan for three years. Then we got rid of her and players that weren't necessarily committed to Freo, Trent comes in and the team goes undefeated. The improvement in culture at the time seemed massive. The team played as a team and the results showed it was the right move.

Nah that doesn't change anything. Like I posted, it was how she left and the complete lack of appreciation/respect. She showed her true colours imo. Michelle Cowan also had some questionable behaviour around that same time and it exposed some of the issues that had been going on internally. We are entitled to adjust our opinions of people as new information comes to light. IP had only been exposed to her playing footy at that point in time (nothing off the field).

Proof is kind of there with the outcome. Fremantle struggled with Cowan for three years. Then we got rid of her and players that weren't necessarily committed to Freo, Trent comes in and the team goes undefeated. The improvement in culture at the time seemed massive. The team played as a team and the results showed it was the right move.
Michelles quote from the B&F yesterday says it all, she couldn't care less about the club when she was coaching

Based solely on playing ability whilst at Freo, but she has done very little to back it up at WC. I didn’t know at the time how toxic she is. I have a young friend who was ‘mentored’ by her, and she said she couldn’t have taken less of an interest in her football development if she tried. In fact she was quite belittling towards her, and was not at all liked around her WAFLW club. Opinions, when more facts are gathered, can change, you know.

Opinions, when more facts are gathered, can change, you know.
Having just supplied you with more facts about the reaction to yesterday's trade, I'm expecting your opinion about the North board (specifically the view that we're saying Jess is "suddenly s**t") will change.

To be clear, I know Gibson was poison, and came to that conclusion when she tried to kill Hayley Miller during a match in 2017 for no reason. But you say other factors beyond her move to the Eagles changed your mind so, ok, I accept that.

Having just supplied you with more facts about the reaction to yesterday's trade, I'm expecting your opinion about the North board (specifically the view that we're saying Jess is "suddenly sh*t") will change.

To be clear, I know Gibson was poison, and came to that conclusion when she tried to kill Hayley Miller during a match in 2017 for no reason. But you say other factors beyond her move to the Eagles changed your mind so, ok, I accept that.
Fair call, particularly about Trend. 🙂

Maybe I’m basing the North board calls are more about failing to land the big fish over the years when some posters suddenly claimed the player was crap and they didn’t need/want them anyhow. Some.

And seriously, is it really worth your time coming into oppo team boards arguing that we’re wrong about you (as a collective)? Geez if Freo posters did that we’d be waging war against the whole of BF, getting banned all over the joint, and eventually pissing off everyone such that we implode and cease to exist. I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but this is BF, this is our board, and we can poke a bit of fun at other clubs if we want. Lord knows we get beaten down all over just about every other board.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having just supplied you with more facts about the reaction to yesterday's trade, I'm expecting your opinion about the North board (specifically the view that we're saying Jess is "suddenly sh*t") will change.

wait what

Freo = CV padding. 🙄🙄
Longmuir coached at WC. Wouldn't want to be hypocrits would be?

A WC team didn't even exist. Only so many opportunities going around and sometimes you take an unpreferred path to get where you want to be.

Just to be clear re prior back and forth. You are a great poster and always welcome. We've had some shocking North posters on our board before (you are not one of them). I'm not sure if supporting North or Freo is harder? At least our AFLW teams don't suck - hoorah!

edit - we have our own s**t Freo supporters as well. Like one guy who finds a way to complain when we are doing really well. I'd put him on ignore but it's pretty funny stuff.

Longmuir coached at WC. Wouldn't want to be hypocrits would be?

A WC team didn't even exist. Only so many opportunities going around and sometimes you take an unpreferred path to get where you want to be.
History is written by the victors.
Victory 1: sacking her.
Victory 2: WC sucking.
Victory 3: added fire in our girls’ bellies to show what she’s missing out on.

Like I said - history is written by the victors.

Re JLo
Victory 1 = gaining an experienced assistant who’s previous clubs had reached a GF.
Victory 2 = landing a favourite son who wants to be here
Victory 3 = someone who doesn’t trash-talk his previous employers in an underhanded way, rather he thanks them for the opportunities provided for him.

Whichever way you spin it, Cowan going = good, JLo coming = also good.

Win- Win us 😁👍🏽

And seriously, is it really worth your time coming into oppo team boards arguing that we’re wrong about you (as a collective)? Geez if Freo posters did that we’d be waging war against the whole of BF, getting banned all over the joint, and eventually pissing off everyone such that we implode and cease to exist. I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but this is BF, this is our board, and we can poke a bit of fun at other clubs if we want. Lord knows we get beaten down all over just about every other board.
Just to be clear re prior back and forth. You are a great poster and always welcome. We've had some shocking North posters on our board before (you are not one of them). I'm not sure if supporting North or Freo is harder? At least our AFLW teams don't suck - hoorah!
In most cases, it isn't worth my time, but in this case I don't feel like it's been a waste. I've always enjoyed watching the team play and reading relevant opinions on here, so I'll keep stopping by and will continue to refrain from interjecting unless I feel I can add new information or clarification to a subject.

In most cases, it isn't worth my time, but in this case I don't feel like it's been a waste. I've always enjoyed watching the team play and reading relevant opinions on here, so I'll keep stopping by and will continue to refrain from interjecting unless I feel I can add new information or clarification to a subject.
Look - I was basing my comment off a comment another poster made about the north board taking pot shots at Trend as being a ‘turnover merchant’ and ‘not missed’. Maybe I was harsh, but I was taking the piss with another poster about an oppo club on our board. Shits and giggles. And I agree you’re a solid poster who respects our board, and also a committed supporter of your club who wants to defend it when you feel you’ve been misrepresented. Personally I avoid all other boards, but that’s just me. Please accept my apology for making a disparaging comment, but please also realise that on this board we can make comments that we never would on other boards. I know you get it.

Expecting to get a quality youngster with our pick #2 (eg Davison after WC get Dowrick with pick #1) and think they'll line up round 1 as well. Even our second pick could be a chance as there seems to be a handful of youngsters in the draft pool that wouldn't look out of place at AFLW level.

Jatz was saying on the WC board that Davison was there at the WC awards night. Probably makes sense given she's been involved with their academy, but I wonder if it'll be awkward for us to draft her (surely not?)

Jatz was saying on the WC board that Davison was there at the WC awards night. Probably makes sense given she's been involved with their academy, but I wonder if it'll be awkward for us to draft her (surely not?)
She certainly was and nah it wouldn't be awkward at all. Fairly sure Roxy was in our academy as well.

Excuse me while I go cry

Are uncontacted players in AFLW essentially free agents or do they have to enter the draft if a trade isn't reached like the men's?

Are uncontacted players in AFLW essentially free agents or do they have to enter the draft if a trade isn't reached like the men's?
If the offer (contract length and/or money) by their current club is less that what they already had, they can accept the lower offer or ‘explore options’. If they’re delisted they’re automatically FAs.
That’s my understanding.

WC set up an academy long before we did with the eye to their eventual entry into the comp. Smart. A lot of the girls coming through in the past few years (obviously first to Freo, then to either club last year), were/are from the WC academy. But whoever nabs them, nabs them. Roxy looked pretty ok with being here in the derby - and with a 2 year contract just signed, you’d have to think she’s not thinking too much about having come through the WC academy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back