Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Could Cunnington miss the rest of 2020?

"100% it's a possibility. It's a possibility he might be back in a couple of weeks as well ... (but) the longer it goes, then the more preparation time he'll need to get back to playing, so the next week or two are big for Ben."
Put him on ice for the year.

Yep his body sounds completely cooked

sbdan

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2005
FNQ
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rooboys
it came out of nowhere. Was it annon field injury? Or just one of those back twinges that has gone horribly wrong?

king rising

Premiership Player
Jul 20, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sad that the great man hasn’t been able to strut his stuff this year. No way we should try and play him again this season, get him right for a big 2021 campaign. Back injuries are not to be trifled with.

Sad that the great man hasn’t been able to strut his stuff this year. No way we should try and play him again this season, get him right for a big 2021 campaign. Back injuries are not to be trifled with.

I just want to see him on the park as quickly as possible.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m assuming he’s done for the year?
As Rawlings said, the longer it takes for him to recover from the injury, the longer it will take for him to build up the strength in his quads again.

So... yeah, he probably is done for the year considering the lack of recent update.

it came out of nowhere. Was it annon field injury? Or just one of those back twinges that has gone horribly wrong?

I suspect it might have happened during the initial lockdown. He was apparently down at the farm doing a bit of work and maybe he tried to lift a 700 kg bull or something, just to keep in shape. I would send him to a good Chiropractor, who might spot something amiss.

Does anyone actually know how he hurt his back?
Nothing has actually ever been said.
If it ends up being that he hurt it on his farm lifting some hay or machinery I would honestly punish him financially.

His injury ****ed our year. No doubt whasoever.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
If it ends up being that he hurt it on his farm lifting some hay or machinery I would honestly punish him financially.

His injury f’ed our year. No doubt whasoever.

You can be the one that tells him 👍

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

His injury f’ed our year. No doubt whasoever.

I'm not sure you can just punish people financially whenever you feel like it mate.

I'm not sure you can just punish people financially whenever you feel like it mate.
Yes you can. Just ask Matty Campbell when he got the flick from the club.

It would be interesting to see what clauses are in contracts about physical exertion and playing other sports.

I understand the US sporting market is much more cut throat but sustaining an injury doing manual labour that jeopardises your ability to play the sport is the sort of thing franchises can terminate contracts for.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It would be interesting to see what clauses are in contracts about physical exertion and playing other sports.

I understand the US sporting market is much more cut throat but sustaining an injury doing manual labour that jeopardises your ability to play the sport is the sort of thing franchises can terminate contracts for.

I'm just not so sure you can clause proof all of this kind of stuff. Maybe they have a specific clause, who knows. But I highly doubt Ben would sign anything, being a very in demand player, if it purported to terminate his contract or financially punish him for helping out on his farm.

The dude could walk into any club in the competition. He has all the power here.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes you can. Just ask Matty Campbell when he got the flick from the club.
I'm not up with what happened with Matty but unless it's provided for in the person's contract or incorporated instruments (e.g. code of conduct) then no you cannot just unilaterally fine them whenever you want.

I'm just not so sure you can clause proof all of this kind of stuff. Maybe they have a specific clause, who knows. But I highly doubt Ben would sign anything, being a very in demand player, if it purported to terminate his contract or financially punish him for helping out on his farm.

The dude could walk into any club in the competition. He has all the power here.
I almost guarantee language in contracts about injuries sustained outside of footy.

We pay him hundreds of thousands of dollars and he'd be fairly specifically covered for medical insurance.

He is not the only factor at play here however in a normal season you'd be able to put a $ figure of the cost to us of him not playing.

This looks like one of those BF discussions that's morphed out of control on the back of a throwaway line. I think someone said as a joke that Ben did his back doing some superhuman lifting at the farm during the break. It was a nod to Ben being a superman, no?

I believe the truth is far more mundane - it appears that he did his back in a game (Sydney - round 3?).

Back