Unofficial Preview GWP Eagles Vs Freo Swans - Round 12

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it depends what their approach is with the youngsters. They have usually been playing 4 inexperienced young players per game and there are 6 games left after this. So I think they have to share the games around a bit.

Maibaum, Gould, Knoll, Amartey and Rowles are the uninjured players yet to debut.

With our ruck issues, I guess they would want to see Amartey/Knoll play as a second ruck. So we know what we have already got on our list. Also we have been developing Maibaum for 4 years, so they might as well give him a game.

Last edited:

Our recruits have cost us next to nothing. Pretty disappointed that they're not working out but given the cost there's been no loss

except for the million in cap space a year

Our recruits have cost us next to nothing. Pretty disappointed that they're not working out but given the cost there's been no loss
I mean, this is the crux of it.

Clarke: Pick 62
Thurlow: Pick 70
Taylor: Pick 48
Brand: DFA
Gray: DFA

Identifying and recruiting fringe players for a fit is something many on this board have espoused yet they're pissed that players that were picked up for 3rd and 4th round picks aren't killing it.
except for the million in cap space a year
What would you have done with that, keeping in mind minimum list sizes and cap floor?

Identifying and recruiting fringe players for a fit is something many on this board have espoused yet they're pissed that players that were picked up for 3rd and 4th round picks aren't killing it.

What would you have done with that, keeping in mind minimum list sizes and cap floor?

It's not the logic of identifying and recruiting fringe players that I'm frustrated by, it's our execution of it. I actually want us to persist with it, keep trying to get experienced players onto the list in the hopes that the next Shaw, JPK, Mattner, Mumford or Richards is among them. But geez we have got to actually get some of them right, or I think it's fair of fans to question and doubt those involved in making these decisions.

As for the cost, I don't so much as look at it as what we gave up to get them onto the list, but rather what they're currently costing us by being on the list.

For a young list, that group between 23 and 30 becomes that much more important, as they are the ones we'd ideally be relying on more than kids as we have done this year. They are all in that group, every one of them, yet they're the ones we have to keep dropping because of their form. So I think they cost us a chance this year to have a lot more of a settled team to help develop the younger players around them better.

Not really, we should look at that as a positive that there are better ahead of them. Wouldnt be the first incoming players not to make the best 22 at a new club.
They probably are best 22 now.

But we’re playing kids, with a view to coming seasons - knowing that Gray and Taylor aren’t ever going to be part of a top 8 best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was Melican's first full game of the season. Even when we have introduced the young players, we have been giving them at least two consecutive games.

Players are going to make mistakes in pressure moments and have poor games.

Coming off no proper 2s footy isn’t ideal either.

It's not the logic of identifying and recruiting fringe players that I'm frustrated by, it's our execution of it. I actually want us to persist with it, keep trying to get experienced players onto the list in the hopes that the next Shaw, JPK, Mattner, Mumford or Richards is among them. But geez we have got to actually get some of them right, or I think it's fair of fans to question and doubt those involved in making these decisions.

As for the cost, I don't so much as look at it as what we gave up to get them onto the list, but rather what they're currently costing us by being on the list.

For a young list, that group between 23 and 30 becomes that much more important, as they are the ones we'd ideally be relying on more than kids as we have done this year. They are all in that group, every one of them, yet they're the ones we have to keep dropping because of their form. So I think they cost us a chance this year to have a lot more of a settled team to help develop the younger players around them better.

I think people seem to forget that at the same time as we were recruiting the likes of Shaw, Mattner, Kennedy, Mumford and Richards we also brought in players like Tingay, Daffy, Playfair, Armstrong, Walsh, Talia... Every club is making picks like this each season and the majority of them don't work out.

I think people seem to forget that at the same time as we were recruiting the likes of Shaw, Mattner, Kennedy, Mumford and Richards we also brought in players like Tingay, Daffy, Playfair, Armstrong, Walsh, Talia... Every club is making picks like this each season and the majority of them don't work out.

Never disputed that.

But the last several years it has not been the majority of them that haven't worked out.

None of them have.

It is an opportunity to put it behind him and see if he can play better.

There is no point in banishing him to the reserves for the rest of the season. He has been best 22 for us in the past. We have to give him a few games.
We will see, he has had a number of opportunities since returning from injury and failed to take any of them,....

Clearly there must be a reason, possibly his ability to run out a game?
How can that be measured this year? If hot now its unlikely Maibaum will ever debut.

The cap floor is a terrible rule....

Do you sign guys like Lewis Taylor to 3 year deals if they're just "that'll do" recruits though?

And don't forget Beatson's comment about how they liked Clarke in his draft year and had been tracking him ever since.

Would have seen a galaxy of moon balls over that tracking journey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back