Review Round 11 vs Essendon @ Metricon (Wed 12/8/20 - 7:10pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Still not home yet, Desperately craving ice cream like I'm on the wrong end of a break up again.

This year has not been good for my heart, just ugh
BRM UPDATE:

Made it home at midnight, Wrangled some overpriced ice cream and bathed in the sugar rush and endorphins while doing some board related tasks I promised to have done.

Do I feel better about the draw? Sort of.
Do I feel guilty for missing training for a draw? Yes.
Do I feel shame for smashing an entire pint of ice cream at qtr past 12? Absolutely ******* not.

SUNS SING A NICE BALLARD
Not all that shines at the Suns are first-round draftees.

Ben King had his moments and kicked a remarkable goal for a 202cm forward, a gather, a shrug, a sidestep, a sprint and he kicked the goal. He missed another with two minutes to play and then Izak Rankine fell short with another shot at goal.

But it’s up the other end where the Suns also have a rising star. He is 21-year-old Charlie Ballard. He staved off a surging Essendon, taking seven intercept marks, which was the equal most this season.

My God, they are going to be a good team for a long time.

And I bet they'll continue to ignore the fact that the pick we acquired from Fremantle to draft Ballard was a part of the Weller trade. I thought Lachie was pretty good tonight and Ballard was obviously very good with his contested/intercept marks. Then you look at Davies-Uniacke from North (the player we were supposedly going to draft with pick 2 that year) and it starts to become really obvious that we won that trade. Trades involving picks are what you make of them and you can really only judge them (properly) many years down the track. We got an absolute gem in Ballard and Lachie has been great lately too.

After games like tonight I can't help but wonder what if Rowelly was playing.

After sleeping on it, I feel less annoyed than I did yesterday. The boys did well to wrestle back momentum when the bombers were surging late in the 4th. We had chances to win it but King and Rankine couldn't get us there, they are 2nd year players and will learn from that.

These stats are thebest evidence that our midfield still lacks the ability to run and spread at speed for the duration of a game. We desperately need to find a few more mids in the vein of a Zac Merrett Or Dylan Shiel.
We have Brodie who can’t get a game, Bowes who they play off the HBF and Fiorini that they also play out of position. IMO we don’t make the most of what we already have, we just don’t develop players well enough

We have Brodie who can’t get a game, Bowes who they play off the HBF and Fiorini that they also play out of position. IMO we don’t make the most of what we already have, we just don’t develop players well enough
We would lose by even more if we didn't have Bowes down back. Fiorini played midfield tonight and absolutely stunk it up. Brodie needs a good but he makes our already slow midfield glacially slow

We where never a finals chance, if you thought we where you are deranged haha. We are 2 years off it still
I reckon we’re closer to three years away. Need to develop / get some more good mids who can run and find another two good KPPs. Ballard is a great third tall option down back but not a KPP and King needs a better partner in crime. Love Daysie but he won’t be around if/when our time comes.

None of those three are run and spread at speed players unfortunately. I’m 51 and faster than Fiorini.

We won lost 19 games in a row last year, have the youngest team in the league, talent is there but still extremely raw. Anyone thinking of finals at any stage this year is delusional. Odds where never in our favour because we still aren't that good yet. The pieces are their and there will be flashes but we arent a finals team. We are 12th-16th
The pleasing (sounds like Rocket) thing to me is although we’re not winning consistently yet, it’s our young guns like King and Rankine who are at least stepping up to give us a chance. Previous years we’ve had none of that and ended up getting smashed by 60+

This season was never about making finals, lets' be honest. It was about improving and not being blown apart, and playing a sustainable brand. Has that been achieved? I'd vote for yes.

Win as many as you can but keep improving is the key, to go into next season. Suns are prob Lions from 2018. Didn't win too many, but was in every single game. But 2019? (2021) was one step further.

Draws are tough. They aren't a loss. It's not a win. Very strange feeling indeed.

They had a tough 3rd quarter, but managed to get back into the game. One might. say Miller having to tag McGrath out of the game was costly, but there was more opportunities to win the game rather than what he was doing. The midfield needed to step up a lot more. But they'll take a lot from this.

Can say.. what if Rankine got that goal. WHAT if, King got the goal rather than a point. What if a few things. But just need to minimise errors and keep doing things better.
I normally take a draw from the Suns as a win but with the team Essendon had out there, and the lead we had over them, we really should have won. Last night is a loss to me.

The pleasing (sounds like Rocket) thing to me is although we’re not winning consistently yet, it’s our young guns like King and Rankine who are at least stepping up to give us a chance. Previous years we’ve had none of that and ended up getting smashed by 60+
This is probably the only light at the end of the tunnel

I've had a night to sleep on the result and get over it. Yes I was initially annoyed partly because we led all game and still didn't get the four points. I really care about this footy club and the boys and want them to succeed and retain belief which is why I get so passionate and emotional. I apologise if I ever say anything that ruffles any feathers- probably better for me to wait until the next day to voice my opinion to let the steam settle on the result.

Anyway, the thing that did annoy me too is that like our other close defeats, we had plenty of chances to get there and win and didn't take them. I would have loved to think some things that we didn't do so well in the other losses were learnt and could have been reflected in other tight games but maybe it was and it just wasn't our night?! I loved Sam Day's match- he played a terrific game, kicked straight and kicked that goal on 3QT that basically was one that assured our control at the break- such an important goal. Although it didn't go all our way, still plenty of positives. Our young brigade were creating chances again. Imagine what sort of team we will be when they build further strength and enter their prime! I'd love to see King charge at those balls in future years and mark them the majority of the time and this will come. That last kick by him he was probably spent and that reflected in the kick. All game Essendon just seemed to run around us and it helped us they handballed to much and undone all their good work- we just seemed to be a bit flat most of the night. Collins didn't really star like he usually does which is a shame- maybe he is getting tired? Flanders whilst not as bad as Sharp and not as good at Rowell/Anderson did play an OKAY game- probably give him another week against the Tiges.

Will be interesting to see how we handle the tight turnaround! Go Suns

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've had a night to sleep on the result and get over it. Yes I was initially annoyed partly because we led all game and still didn't get the four points. I really care about this footy club and the boys and want them to succeed and retain belief which is why I get so passionate and emotional. I apologise if I ever say anything that ruffles any feathers- probably better for me to wait until the next day to voice my opinion to let the steam settle on the result.

Anyway, the thing that did annoy me too is that like our other close defeats, we had plenty of chances to get there and win and didn't take them. I would have loved to think some things that we didn't do so well in the other losses were learnt and could have been reflected in other tight games but maybe it was and it just wasn't our night?! I loved Sam Day's match- he played a terrific game, kicked straight and kicked that goal on 3QT that basically was one that assured our control at the break- such an important goal. Although it didn't go all our way, still plenty of positives. Our young brigade were creating chances again. Imagine what sort of team we will be when they build further strength and enter their prime! I'd love to see King charge at those balls in future years and mark them the majority of the time and this will come. That last kick by him he was probably spent and that reflected in the kick. All game Essendon just seemed to run around us and it helped us they handballed to much and undone all their good work- we just seemed to be a bit flat most of the night. Collins didn't really star like he usually does which is a shame- maybe he is getting tired? Flanders whilst not as bad as Sharp and not as good at Rowell/Anderson did play an OKAY game- probably give him another week against the Tiges.

Will be interesting to see how we handle the tight turnaround! Go Suns
Flanders looks like he'll be a footballer but we are still playing too many under 20's for such a condensed schedule IMO

He didn't really.
Kicked a nice goal
He's only 22 FFS top 5 B+F last year
No worse than Miller or Swallow and they haven't been playing Jolly Japes Footy for the past 12 months on random cow paddocks against my mum and her mates
He had 4 touches after half time, he missed multiple tackles and spent the majority of the game out of position and jogging on the wing.
We had major injury issues last year and the where the worst team in the league, is finishing 5th in the BNF really something to hang his hat on? Unless he magically gains 4 yards of pace he doesn't have a spot in this team atm. He is a vanilla outside mid with no speed. You can't carry those types in a slow side and not in the way we try to play

He didn't really.
Kicked a nice goal
He's only 22 FFS top 5 B+F last year
No worse than Miller or Swallow and they haven't been playing Jolly Japes Footy for the past 12 months on random cow paddocks against my mum and her mates
You do have your favourite sometime if Sam day or Powell not doing well you jump on them . Even your swallow is pretty ordinary yesterday, slow and tire.

Last night sucks. We were in a winning position and blew it. The members and most importantly their children were denied again by a lack of mongrel the opportunity to sing the song and have a glorious night together.

Having said that I was ok with getting another wooden spoon this year with maybe getting a couple more wins and then making some progress up the ladder in 2021.

So we are actually a year ahead now of what I expected. Plus we aren’t really getting completely towelled up anymore this time of year.

I want to beat Carlton. This Monday’s game is a VFL farce.

How many wins did the Lions get in that year before they took off? 5 or 6 wins, right? With a high percentage? Hopefully this is our version of that year and next year we just take off.

We should still beat North IMO. The Hawks are our only other realistic chance of a win. I don't have a lot of faith we'll beat Carlton, and Collingwood will have their players back for us. Tiges and Lions will probably smash us.

How many wins did the Lions get in that year before they took off? 5 or 6 wins, right? With a high percentage? Hopefully this is our version of that year and next year we just take off.

We should still beat North IMO. The Hawks are our only other realistic chance of a win. I don't have a lot of faith we'll beat Carlton, and Collingwood will have their players back for us. Tiges and Lions will probably smash us.
Yeah 5 in 2018.
Picking up Neale and Lyons certainly helped them though even with Beams leaving.
Hopefully this hub experience helps us convince a couple of good mids in staying up here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back