2021 Bendigo Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Just been sent this:

MEDIA RELEASE
Changes to Leagues within AFL Central Victoria Region due to COVID-19 AFL Central Victoria wishes to advise that following a meeting with the League Chairs and Managers of the Bendigo Football Netball League, Bendigo Junior Football League, Central Victorian Football League Women, Heathcote District Football Netball League, Loddon Valley Football Netball League, North Central Football League and the Bendigo Umpires Association, a collective decision has been made to postpone commencement of each League across the region.
The decision was collectively agreed upon to delay the scheduled start date for all competitions until the first weekend in May. This decision was made due to concerns for the coronavirus and the need to protect the health and safety of players, coaches, volunteers, supporters and the broader community. Fixtures will be amended to complete the season resulting in later grand finals. Leagues will continue to explore fixturing alternatives however acknowledge the situation is fluid and any decision may change.
In the interim, the Commission and League Chairs are advising clubs to cease all activities in relation to football and netball, including training and practice matches from today, Tuesday 17th March until 1 st April 2020.
This will be subject to further direction by the Government and AFL. We, like many organisations are doing our best to make decisions which are in the best interests of all concerned. - Ends – Carol Cathcart, Regional General Manager AFL Central Victoria Region on 5434 2400 further details. Email: carol.cathcart@aflcentralvic.com.au

Hey question and thoughts what now happens to clubs with debts needing payments and if season cancelled they have no income ?

They go to the wall
I’m sure there’ll be announcements in the near future from government, AFL, banks etc as to how this issue will be addressed. Unfortunately this thing is evolving from day by day and not everything can be fixed overnight.

About time we had some discussion on this forum.

The rumour jack Geary is leaving Square for Colbinabbin has been mentioned on other sites, but I am still finding it very hard to believe. (Then again I didn't think Adam Baird would leave Square either).

Sandhurst would be disappointed that Will Holt is leaving after just one very injury interrupted season in 2018. After Holt and Daniel Connors before him, the Dragons will be looking for a full forward who can actually stay on the park.

Anyone got any other recruiting news (or players leaving) for the BFNL?

About time we had some discussion on this forum.

The rumour jack Geary is leaving Square for Colbinabbin has been mentioned on other sites, but I am still finding it very hard to believe. (Then again I didn't think Adam Baird would leave Square either).

Sandhurst would be disappointed that Will Holt is leaving after just one very injury interrupted season in 2018. After Holt and Daniel Connors before him, the Dragons will be looking for a full forward who can actually stay on the park.

Anyone got any other recruiting news (or players leaving) for the BFNL?

Square is interesting. Geary is definitely on the way out and Baird was always a chance to go to Mounts once Trav landed their....Adam did sign out there years ago but pulled out. Word is that many square players aren’t happy with how the Haberman situation was handled by the club.

Square is interesting. Geary is definitely on the way out and Baird was always a chance to go to Mounts once Trav landed their....Adam did sign out there years ago but pulled out. Word is that many square players aren’t happy with how the Haberman situation was handled by the club.

That's interesting Roota as I thought Haberman (from reading the Bendigo Advertiser report) was pulling up stumps due to work commitments. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I am interpreting your comments as meaning he was given a push to go. If this was the case it would be illogical/unfair as anyone appointed for the 2020 'non season' should be reappointed again next year if they were available. Again, if this was the case I could see the players being upset.

If any of the above is wrong then perhaps someone from the club might like to comment.

That's interesting Roota as I thought Haberman (from reading the Bendigo Advertiser report) was pulling up stumps due to work commitments. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I am interpreting your comments as meaning he was given a push to go. If this was the case it would be illogical/unfair as anyone appointed for the 2020 'non season' should be reappointed again next year if they were available. Again, if this was the case I could see the players being upset.

If any of the above is wrong then perhaps someone from the club might like to comment.

All I have heard is that there are players upset that he is not coaching moving forward and feel it wasn’t well handled

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geary isn't going, rumour also got to Colbo coach who got excited and contacted him. Not happening.

With Nathan Thompson stepping down as senior coach at Kyneton what are the chances of Bernie Haberman stepping into his shoes? I believe it would be a great boost for the tigers if this could be achieved.

Any whispers on where Jack Geary will line up in 2021? I am sure a few Goulburn Valley Clubs would love to recruit him.

There does appear to be quite a bit of player movement out of the BFNL in 2021, especially in the top clubs. The door to finals is open for the likes of South Bendigo & Kyneton if they can improve.

Im not associated with KFNC, amd wasnt aware of Nathan standing down.

But was just wondering a couple of things, mainly from a KFNC side of things.

What would they need to play finals in 2021 in the bfnl, how many players and what type of players.

As we know, player recuitment is tough on any club, but just wondering what kyneton people and supporters would think, if KFNC, made the move to a closer comp, yes a lower standard, in the RDFNL.

Do many oppo supporters travel down the calder to watch your team play kyneton amd gisborne?

Would it make sense, and it would def make sense on a money side, if KFNC, took the leap and joined the RDFNL.

I see plenty of positives.

Super competitive, play finals most years, and most years contending.

A much bigger taking at home games with more local clubs that would travel to come to the games.

Just wondering what KFNC people and supporters would think of this idea?

On SM-T355Y using BigFooty.com mobile app

Im not associated with KFNC, amd wasnt aware of Nathan standing down.

But was just wondering a couple of things, mainly from a KFNC side of things.

What would they need to play finals in 2021 in the bfnl, how many players and what type of players.

As we know, player recuitment is tough on any club, but just wondering what kyneton people and supporters would think, if KFNC, made the move to a closer comp, yes a lower standard, in the RDFNL.

Do many oppo supporters travel down the calder to watch your team play kyneton amd gisborne?

Would it make sense, and it would def make sense on a money side, if KFNC, took the leap and joined the RDFNL.

I see plenty of positives.

Super competitive, play finals most years, and most years contending.

A much bigger taking at home games with more local clubs that would travel to come to the games.

Just wondering what KFNC people and supporters would think of this idea?

Mate the RDFL have had 4 clubs leave in recent times...all had very valid reasons...they are in the process of quitting AFL goldfields...I'd suggest they consentrate on that and consolidate the league...they should be grateful they still have an operational competition.

I agree with you thwt our comp, after loosing 4 clubs, while isnt as bad as it looks from the outside, i was just putting a question out there as to, would the RDFNL be a better fit for KFNC.

Put the league dramas aside.

I was just wondering if KFNC would be a better income/recruiting option by joining RDFNL from supporters of the club and what opposition club people thought.

I agree with you thwt our comp, after loosing 4 clubs, while isnt as bad as it looks from the outside, i was just putting a question out there as to, would the RDFNL be a better fit for KFNC.

Put the league dramas aside.

I was just wondering if KFNC would be a better income/recruiting option by joining RDFNL from supporters of the club and what opposition club people thought.

Only would appeal if Gisborne, Sunbury, Bacchus, Darley joined and made the rdfl two tier comp

Only would appeal if Gisborne, Sunbury, Bacchus, Darley joined and made the rdfl two tier comp

There is more chance Gisborne would join the Ballarat FNL as the other clubs listed have no interest in moving. My understanding is Gisborne are very happy in the Bendigo League as they like to play on good, high quality ovals.

There is more chance Gisborne would join the Ballarat FNL as the other clubs listed have no interest in moving. My understanding is Gisborne are very happy in the Bendigo League as they like to play on good, high quality ovals.

I would think it very unlikely Gisborne would joint the Ballarat League after rejecting all past attempts (at least 3 I think) by the Ballarat administration to recruit them. I suspect the Ballarat Board would feel the same and would have moved on.

As for Kyneton, I cannot see them wanting to go to the RDFNL in the forseeable future. The have made the finals in 3 out of the last 4 seasons, outperformed the likes of South Bendigo and Kangaroo Flat over the same period and now should be feeling pretty positive after wiping off a large debt. When Kyneton (seniors) were in remission around 2013 this move could have been possible, but even then they stayed in the BFNL. They do need to appoint a coach pretty quickly though. Once this is done I think they can approach the 2021 season with optimism.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back