Analysis The Awkward Captaincy Problem

Remove this Banner Ad

If Geary was to retire at the end of this season Ryder could be a solid option as captain for 2021.

Err no.

We currently have the situation of where the captain may not be able to justify a spot in the 22 on form alone, why would we want to repeat that in 2021?

Irrespective of whether Geary retires or not, he should not be captain in 2021.

Someone like Steele would have to be a front runner.

Err no.

We currently have the situation of where the captain may not be able to justify a spot in the 22 on form alone, why would we want to repeat that in 2021?

No idea if Steele is the man. Based on not being included in the leadership group probably no buT why the hell would Ryder be captain.

What future did they sell? what an emotional post

The only future Gags and Satan sold is the one where we win 5 spoons in the next decade ... Adelaide, Sydney and North are welcome to add to their cutlery drawer, thank you very much.

Half our best-22 isn't even entering it's prime yet, so it's grossly premature to start dismantling the list.

Another off-season of effective list management should just about see us set for repeat finals appearances.

Err no.

I through up Ryder because he could at least play 17 games in 2021 assuming a standard home and away season and is a Veteran.

Steele would be up there so maybe we decide on 2 or 3 captains in 2021

I through up Ryder because he could at least play 17 games in 2021 assuming a standard home and away season and is a Veteran.

Steele would be up there so maybe we decide on 2 or 3 captains in 2021

No Ryder for me.
Ideally we have a captain for the next five or six years and he is way out of that age bracket. Roo seemed to be a standout pick for captain but even he said he needed to mature into the role.

Better than head up bum.

And it was drivel.

All the 'analysis' from Monday's game has focused on how bad Geary played (and it was a shocker) and zero on who he played on, the position he played and how the performance of the rest of the team made all of our forwards look terrible.

Looking forward to your response regarding all the players who have stood up and demanded the captaincy ahead of him for this season.
I was talking about performance i never mentioned anything about him being captain

Geary's last 5 games disposals , 11 , 9 ,7 ,6 ,4 its only trending one way

I think that says it all

I was talking about performance i never mentioned anything about him being captain

Geary's last 5 games disposals , 11 , 9 ,7 ,6 ,4 its only trending one way

I think that says it all
Yep - while being asked to play in a spot that he doesn't normally play simply to assist with the development of younger players.

Paton is coming along nicely ATM, but if you had to choose a defensive stopper for say a GF, a fit Geary would still be first choice.

Yep - while being asked to play in a spot that he doesn't normally play simply to assist with the development of younger players.

Paton is coming along nicely ATM, but if you had to choose a defensive stopper for say a GF, a fit Geary would still be first choice.
A fit geary of 2018 for sure , he was flying then but time catches up with us all , what makes you think he is not fit this year

Ratts set the agenda at the start of the season when he welcomed the young players back to training before the senior guys came back. He specifically mentioned it was up to them to push the likes of Geary out of the side. I think they have done that and probably Savage, Webster and Robbo too although the last two have had their own fitness issues in recent years.

That said, Geary is the captain and while that does not guarantee him a game, he will serve out the year as captain. There is no way he will be replaced mid-season, especially not by someone from outside the leadership group. Gears has been a warrior for our club and we will manage him to 200 games this year, assuming his body holds up, and should we play finals he will proudly lead us out as Roo's successor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Geary's presser today, was interesting that he listed Steele, Howard, Membrey and Marshall as potential replacements as captain. I wouldn't mind Steele and Howard as co captains. From all reports, Steele is a pretty quiet guy, whereas Howard seems like more of a vocal, passionate leader. Could work well together.

In Geary's presser today, was interesting that he listed Steele, Howard, Membrey and Marshall as potential replacements as captain. I wouldn't mind Steele and Howard as co captains. From all reports, Steele is a pretty quiet guy, whereas Howard seems like more of a vocal, passionate leader. Could work well together.
Judging by Steele's voice after the GWS game, I reckon he is becoming more vocal

Someone mentioned earlier a rotating captaincy ala 2003-2006 and I can get on board with that.

Steele 2021
Billings 2022
Winx 2023

However if Steele steps up in a major way as captain in 2021 then give him the reigns.
Not picking mate but Billings , you cant be serious , he has shown nothing to suggest he is a leader in fact he needs to work on his own game as he has been disappointing im my eyes

Not picking mate but Billings , you cant be serious , he has shown nothing to suggest he is a leader in fact he needs to work on his own game as he has been disappointing im my eyes

Yep, Billings seems totally unsuited to captaincy unless he is a whole different person off the field.

Steele seems the obvious one but maybe something we don't know holds him back. If that is the case then maybe it is Membery or Howard for 2 or 3 years and wait and see if King or Coffield or Clark comes along.

Reckon Gears will exclude himself from captaincy nomination next year and spend a year in the handover role like Roo did..
May still land in the Leadership Group
Not sure on where Ratts stands on Captaincy but a shared role may work with Steele and Membrey?

Reckon Gears will exclude himself from captaincy nomination next year and spend a year in the handover role like Roo did..
May still land in the Leadership Group
Not sure on where Ratts stands on Captaincy but a shared role may work with Steele and Membrey?

if they go the co- captain route, I’m betting it’s Steele and Howard.

This’ll be an unpopular opinion but Steele doesn’t jump out to me as a captain. If he had leadership skills surely he would have been in the leadership group and if he is to be captain he’ll need some media training going off his AA acceptance speech. Didn’t look comfortable being interviewed compared imo

Time to close this thread. If it ever was an awkward problem it isn't any longer. We have made the finals with Gears as captain. He is the only player in the squad to have played for St Kilda in a final and he will lead us out as captain in all our 2020 finals (barring injury) and will not nominate for captain in 2021.

This’ll be an unpopular opinion but Steele doesn’t jump out to me as a captain. If he had leadership skills surely he would have been in the leadership group and if he is to be captain he’ll need some media training going off his AA acceptance speech. Didn’t look comfortable being interviewed compared imo
He hasn't don't a lot of media yet in his career. The more he does, the better he will get.

If you look how far Billings has come in the past 2-3 years at interviews, there is hope for anyone. JB use to look nauseous every time and his eyes would dart everywhere. But now he is one of our best on camera interviews. It just takes practice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back