2nds Gold Coast Reserves: Title Defense 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I had high hopes for Jezz McLennan. AA in Under 18s as a rebounding defender.
Pictured him taking over from Harbrow in years to come, but doesn't seem to have come on this year.
Coaches report continually says they're trying to get him to be more attacking off back..
From what you read he sounds quite reactive. Not making his own play just following his man around.

From what you read he sounds quite reactive. Not making his own play just following his man around.
He was super solid as a one on one defender as junior so that side of his game is good. Just needs that aggression to come off his man and intercept/spoil and generate drive from the D50

Snippet from Geeling site
Could see Fiorini, McPherson, Wright out there

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Geez, they were running rings around us. Based on the video we never even touched the ball ;)

Sounds like we gave them a run for their money which was good.

Geez, they were running rings around us. Based on the video we never even touched the ball ;)

Sounds like we gave them a run for their money which was good.
They would be stupid to put up vision of them performing bad so we arent even a chance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can't expect a player who has only played scratch matches to turn up and play 4 quarters of AFL football.
Guys need 2 or 3 weeks to get up to speed
That's true, but this isn't anything new. Fiorini can and has been bumped away in those situations often.

You can't expect a player who has only played scratch matches to turn up and play 4 quarters of AFL football.
Guys need 2 or 3 weeks to get up to speed
Have heard rumours _ no neafl, academy to be under 19s and Southport Sharks to go to qafl next year, what happens to your players who miss selection next year

Have heard rumours _ no neafl, academy to be under 19s and Southport Sharks to go to qafl next year, what happens to your players who miss selection next year
Eastern AFL reserves competition to be established and travel with our best 22?

I think having the Sharks return to the QAFL would be a good outcome for local footy.

Eastern AFL reserves competition to be established and travel with our best 22?

I think having the Sharks return to the QAFL would be a good outcome for local footy.
I'd love an Eastern Reserves league... it just makes sense plus helps our development when you are playing against AFL teams each week.

I heard there are a few scenarios- VFL/NEAFL Merger, VIC/NSW/QLD Reserves team league, VIC/NSW/QLD Reserves team league with Tasmania Devils (who were meant to enter the VFL next year, or extended VFL with NSW and QLD AFL teams.

I just hope Southport arent too dominant if that happens
It'll be really interesting to see how the local GC teams adjust to Southport re-entering the QAFL. GC teams have had a great opportunity to set the foundations for the last 10 years that shouldn't just fall apart as soon as Southport returns. I've also heard the QAFL has a salary cap of sorts these days which may force Southport into a situation where they can't just raid the best talent from the Tweed Coast all the way up to Logan. It'll be fascinating to follow in the coming years.

I'd love an Eastern Reserves league... it just makes sense plus helps our development when you are playing against AFL teams each week.

I heard there are a few scenarios- VFL/NEAFL Merger, VIC/NSW/QLD Reserves team league, VIC/NSW/QLD Reserves team league with Tasmania Devils (who were meant to enter the VFL next year, or extended VFL with NSW and QLD AFL teams.
I think the best scenario for us and the local GC footy scene looks like this:

AFL - Gold Coast Suns
Eastern AFL Reserves - Gold Coast Suns
NAB League - Gold Coast Suns
QAFL - Broadbeach, Labrador, Palm Beach Currumbin, Surfers Paradise, Southport
etc etc

The QAFL clubs feed our NAB League team which then feeds into our Eastern Reserves team as top ups and we draft the best talent into our AFL team.

How does this work financially the year after the AFL will have made a massive loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back