Non-AFL chat thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

One of my friends works in cyber security. He told me a story from 4 years ago. It took a junior programmer under 24 seconds to hack into one of the big 4 banks. Less than 30 minutes to break into all big 4 banks and under an hour to break into the government systems.
Things have got much better since then but there is a long way to go.
I work under the umbrella of one of the Big 4. Our cyber security people send out bait emails to test staff every few weeks/month, and a few months back the stats got leaked throughout the bank in an excel spreadsheet, with every single colleague's results. It is genuinely astounding how stupid some of the older staff can be. The majority of large cyber attacks these days start with simple phishing emails. One of the best ones I saw was a shitty ad for back to school gear, rife with spelling errors, that caught out so many people.

Add to that the fact that some of the core banking systems sit within databases designed 2 decades ago, and there are complex spiderwebs of systems passing information between each other, and it creates huge vulnerabilities. I can completely believe what you said about the junior programmer

One of my friends works in cyber security. He told me a story from 4 years ago. It took a junior programmer under 24 seconds to hack into one of the big 4 banks. Less than 30 minutes to break into all big 4 banks and under an hour to break into the government systems.

You mix in odd company, LittleG. I picked up that you are a Programmer. I have this mate in ASIO...(reaching for the 'phone)...

I work under the umbrella of one of the Big 4. Our cyber security people send out bait emails to test staff every few weeks/month, and a few months back the stats got leaked throughout the bank in an excel spreadsheet, with every single colleague's results. It is genuinely astounding how stupid some of the older staff can be. The majority of large cyber attacks these days start with simple phishing emails. One of the best ones I saw was a shitty ad for back to school gear, rife with spelling errors, that caught out so many people.

Add to that the fact that some of the core banking systems sit within databases designed 2 decades ago, and there are complex spiderwebs of systems passing information between each other, and it creates huge vulnerabilities. I can completely believe what you said about the junior programmer

People are so gullible with stuff online. It’s the easiest way into a secure system. Without via the gullible staff, theservers are now much more secure.... I think he said last year 2-3 days (if undetected) for a big 4 bank these days. Doubtful his monitoring team would not notice an intruder for 2+ days.

My friend was a director of a multinational accounting firm.... his team were elite and got a lot of business in Australia.

I work under the umbrella of one of the Big 4. .....It is genuinely astounding how stupid some of the older staff can be. ..

Oi, again VD. (I am motivated to respond to your posts by the opportunity of using you initials), Back in 19 mumble mumble, half the blokes in Matric joined Banks. Stupid ? that's outrageo....

d ? , a
People are so gullible with stuff online. It’s the easiest way into a secure system. Without via the gullible staff, theservers are now much more secure.... I think he said last year 2-3 days (if undetected) for a big 4 bank these days. Doubtful his monitoring team would not notice an intruder for 2+ days.

My friend was a director of a multinational accounting firm.... his team were elite and got a lot of business in Australia.
And the financial Institution advise thatthey are phasing out cheqes in 2021.

Last edited:

Not sure you are serious here. Core banking systems do not sit in databases. A database is a data repository. A system may or may not use a "database". Core banking systems weren't designed 2 decades ago. More like 4 decades ago before Databases were mature enough to host those banking systems. The home grown Australian banking systems used VSAM or IMS. Westpac tried in the late 80's to modernise their banking systems and came up with CS90 project which is a case study for many MBA courses in how not to do it.

Most Australian banks have tried to go to Hogan systems, which didn't scale well for our larger banks. The smaller banks, such as Bendigo are running with a banking system designed in the 80's. Most of the code was kludged to get from indexed files to DB2 database but it's not really re-engineering.

Security is a totally different subject from application design. Application security should be in the dustbin now, all modern systems use an external security manager. Broadcom default to "protect everything". Basically you can do nothing unless a rule is created to allow access. The access issues are all human errors, guessable passwords, no 2 or 3 factor authentication, it goes on. If that junior programmer did indeed hack into a variety of systems, he should be hired by ASD.

I feel this “person” has forfeited any right to any rights:

Yet apparently his legal team are negotiating with prosecutors! Should be locked in a cell with all manner of items contaminated by COVID19 sufferers. Stream it live as a deterrent for anyone considering evading social distancing guidelines, while he slowly loses the ability to breathe. Maybe tape a ventilator and some hand sanitiser on the outside of the glass in the cell door for good measure. Any remorse he claims is hollow given the lifestyle he’s led and the choices he’s made. Has also forfeited any attempts at redemption IMO. Maggott.

We sell gas to China, they refine it then we buy it back at inflated prices. We are dumb.

We sell the gas to China cheaper than we sell it in Australia. We are one of the largest gas exporters in the world, yet we get less than 10% what other countries get for the same gas production.

IF we got the same money, we could all pay less taxes OR pay down the deficit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shows just how much successive governments have completely failed in Australia. These numbers are horrible.
Qatar exports less natural gas than we do, yet in the 2019 financial year, they received $26 billion on royalties while we received $1 billion. We willingly get ****ed by mining companies who ship profits offshore, while collecting nothing in profit tax and nothing in royalties. Our country has been run by muppets for years

Did you have girls fighting over you in nightclubs Chicago1 ?
I had them fighting ME. They usually won. :(

I'm happy that there is footy on almost every evening because there is mostly crap on fta TV at the moment after H&A.

Many of you may find it strange I admit I’m not the smartest cookie around(actually am I’m just trying to be amiable today) but can anyone explain to me how the Democrats in the US have an apparently African American female Vice President candidate with parents born in JAMAICA and INDIA ???

Is this the extension of being able to identify as any gender you wish? You can now choose your race?

Many of you may find it strange I admit I’m not the smartest cookie around(actually am I’m just trying to be amiable today) but can anyone explain to me how the Democrats in the US have an apparently African American female Vice President candidate with parents born in JAMAICA and INDIA ???

Is this the extension of being able to identify as any gender you wish? You can now choose your race?

One of her parents was born in Jamaica and one in India. Kamala was born in the US but did high school in Canada, before college in the US. Her husband is European American.
Interesting background.

Many Jamaicans are of African decent.

After a bit of reading it turns out she’s actually descended from a prominent slave trader on her father’s side. I wonder if she mentions that bit on her CV.

Many Jamaicans are of African decent.

After a bit of reading it turns out she’s actually descended from a prominent slave trader on her father’s side. I wonder if she mentions that bit on her CV.

She is as African American as I am

And we all apparently come from Africans originally so does that make me African Australian?
If you have to go back 300,000 years to find your African ancestor then probably not.

There’s plenty of ‘Italians’ in Melbourne who have parents both born in Australia and none of them have ever been to Italy.

I don’t have the answers.

I have an English Uncle who married into the Irish side of my family. He pretty much turned into Mr Ireland after that. Insisted on buying a farmhouse in Ireland...despite none of the family living there anymore. Always the keenest for Paddy’s day. Massive Ireland rugby fan. It’s embarrassing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back