Time, flow and momentum wasted giving the ball back

Remove this Banner Ad

Greenac

All Australian
Apr 12, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Player A gives a free kick away, then doesn't hand the ball over until he has retreated/moved to the mark.

Player A decides to hold Player B up after a marking contest or having given away a free kick.

There are many more scenarios but it boils down to this: * Player A.

Why are the umpires so okay with this killer of game flow? Why is it some right players have to stand the mark before giving the player the ball? Why bother saying "give it back straight away" when in fact 'anytime in the next 30 seconds is fine'?

Just start paying 50 and watch how fast players hand the ball over. Let's get this game moving.

Agree 100%.

This is such a juvenile part of the game where highly skilled and balanced athletes who can hit their team mate’s voice with a no look hand pass suddenly turn into clumsy, deaf oafs who can only slowly lob a football to someone five metres away.

And then some poor bloke gets nailed 50m for inadvertently getting into a protected zone that had no impact on the player with the ball.

I’d rather see the first thing penalised hard, and leniency on the second.

Player A gives a free kick away, then doesn't hand the ball over until he has retreated/moved to the mark.

Player A decides to hold Player B up after a marking contest or having given away a free kick.

There are many more scenarios but it boils down to this: fu** Player A.

Why are the umpires so okay with this killer of game flow? Why is it some right players have to stand the mark before giving the player the ball? Why bother saying "give it back straight away" when in fact 'anytime in the next 30 seconds is fine'?

Just start paying 50 and watch how fast players hand the ball over. Let's get this game moving.
bring back 15 m penalties and pay those for the offence. 50 is too harsh.

Not sure the OP remembers footy in the 90s when you could basically have a full ballroom waltz with the player in possession before having to let go of him.

Actually on this I agree but i think it should be 25m. This is also the perfect opportunity to keep adding 25m if the bloke standing the mark gets in his way.

Yep, agree with this. A simple instruction by the ump "Give the ball to player x". If not done immediately, instant 25m penalty.

It's something that was really noticeable last Friday when the Dogs stalled play signficantly a couple of times. I certainly don't blame them for doing so, i'd be pissed off if my team did anything else. But it shouldn't be allowed across the league.

The player with the ball should have to put it on the ground straight away.

This, or they should be able to give it immediately to the nearest opponent.

Umpires should blow the whistle, and instead of all the drama, or saying what the free is for, just say "Free kick, <insert team name>" and point the arm in the direction. They can say and/or signal what it is for after that.

Hopefully this would eliminate things like pretending to not hear the umpire or the old classic of pretending (or genuinely not knowing) who the free kick is specifically for.

I mean, is ours the only game where players are actually required to know the names of all of their opponents or risk giving away 50?

Players who have given away the free kick are taking the urine at times.

So many instances of - player gives up free kick and stands OVER the ball, meaning the free kick taker has to push them off to get the ball and take their kick.

Normally the player over the ball doesn’t budge the first couple times either so it wastes 7-10 seconds which is enough time for defenders to set up.

A few more 50s for these stymying tactics wouldn’t go astray.

There are many more scenarios but it boils down to this: fu** Player A.

Totally agree.

Baffles me that they ping guys for encroaching on the protected zone accidentally (which has absolutely zero impact on anything) - but let this go!!

Just another in a long line of stupid s**t that comes out of AFL house.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This, or they should be able to give it immediately to the nearest opponent.

Umpires should blow the whistle, and instead of all the drama, or saying what the free is for, just say "Free kick, <insert team name>" and point the arm in the direction. They can say and/or signal what it is for after that.

Hopefully this would eliminate things like pretending to not hear the umpire or the old classic of pretending (or genuinely not knowing) who the free kick is specifically for.

I mean, is ours the only game where players are actually required to know the names of all of their opponents or risk giving away 50?

Yeah but then you get blokes giving the ball to the oppo bloke running past him to get ahead of the ball. That bloke then needs to stop and give the ball back to his teammate. I could easily find more ways to ahuse that system.

The rule should be the team that gave away a free kick returns the ball. Waste any time after the umpire tells you who to give it to (the first time, don't act like you can't hear) and it's 50. It has become a big eye sore this year. The amount of stuffing around players get away with in the middle of the ground to let their team mates flood defence has been awful.

Should be umpired exactly the way it is for someone entering the protected area of a mark or stepping over the mark.

If the player who has given away the free kick tries to hold up play they are given one warning to get out the way, return the ball or stop holding the other player and if they don’t immediately then it’s a penalty. Simple.

One rule which lately has really started to grind my gears and slows down play is for free kicks from a deliberate or out on the full free. Player A runs to get the ball, umpire does a dance and goes back and forth that player B from the team was closer and should therefor take the kick and in the meantime we’ve lost 10 seconds and the defence has set up as they decide who takes the kick. It disadvantages teams at time as they are held back and really, who cares what player takes the kick. If player A gets the ball first let player A bring it back into play.

Should be umpired exactly the way it is for someone entering the protected area of a mark or stepping over the mark.

If the player who has given away the free kick tries to hold up play they are given one warning to get out the way, return the ball or stop holding the other player and if they don’t immediately then it’s a penalty. Simple.

One rule which lately has really started to grind my gears and slows down play is for free kicks from a deliberate or out on the full free. Player A runs to get the ball, umpire does a dance and goes back and forth that player B from the team was closer and should therefor take the kick and in the meantime we’ve lost 10 seconds and the defence has set up as they decide who takes the kick. It disadvantages teams at time as they are held back and really, who cares what player takes the kick. If player A gets the ball first let player A bring it back into play.

Yeah that last one is a good one too.

Umpires barely pay stepping over the mark these days. It happens but very rarely and usually it's only after repeated warnings. Being asked to step back to the 9 should be out by now, punish those wjo don't know the rules.

Get tough and players will adjust (okay the dumb ones won't but they get penalised)

The traditionalists might hate it, but is it worth trying what is done in soccer, where you choose which player takes the free kick?

You might think it could be abused by always giving the ball to a really good kicker, but I think most of the time, waiting for the right person here would waste valuable time.

Perhaps separate rules for shots at goal would be required, ie only the Indonesian player can score from the free kick, or something like that

Yeah that last one is a good one too.

Umpires barely pay stepping over the mark these days. It happens but very rarely and usually it's only after repeated warnings. Being asked to step back to the 9 should be out by now, punish those wjo don't know the rules.

Get tough and players will adjust (okay the dumb ones won't but they get penalised)

There is no excuse for not being back to the 9, other than writhing in pain on the ground with injury.

There should be no warning, just 50.

Players who have given away the free kick are taking the urine at times.

So many instances of - player gives up free kick and stands OVER the ball, meaning the free kick taker has to push them off to get the ball and take their kick.

Normally the player over the ball doesn’t budge the first couple times either so it wastes 7-10 seconds which is enough time for defenders to set up.

A few more 50s for these stymying tactics wouldn’t go astray.
This one annoys me.

Immediate 50 would solve it.

The player with the ball should have to put it on the ground straight away.
This is how it works in handball. You give up a foul and wind up with the ball, you can either give it to the player (at your own risk as he can play on immediately) or set it on the ground and get away. To do anything else is a misconduct (yellow card, 2 minute suspension, etc). If the other team wants to go fast, have them get the ball quickly then. (Or that's handball's view of it)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back