Analysis Dangerfields drop in form

juzcat

All Australian
Sep 15, 2007
Singapore
AFL Club
Geelong
I wish he'd aim at the right goal post for once. All his shots on goal go left. No faith on him kicking any at the moment, last night's goal was a fluke mistake.
oh gosh, me too..think he has the yips and no idea if the driver gonna go straight, hook or block

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Short reminder all...

As the season progresses and the media starts looking at potential AA squad inclusions, Danger is being included in more AA teams than I've seen not

At the same time, some believe the he's form is down, want to focus on that, ignoring that Danger's season ain't actually too bad even if not at the same lofty heights as his past couple of seasons

And apparently the discussion has moved off topic in recent times and we need to return focus to the apparent drop in form by Danger...
He has only had 2 games this year where he has cracked more than 24 disposals. He has also only kicked 5 goals for the year. He is just not getting his hands on the ball like he was.

Would you personally have him in the AA squad?

He has only had 2 games this year where he has cracked more than 24 disposals. He has also only kicked 5 goals for the year. He is just not getting his hands on the ball like he was.

Would you personally have him in the AA squad?

Is 24 disposals a magical number this year, or what makes it a magical number?

More disposals doesn't necessarily equal greater impact - rather see Danger make his impact count compared with racking up disposals just because he can

I don't have an AA squad - I don't watch enough of the other teams to keep track of who should or shouldn't be in contention

But I do know that some players are judged harsher than others and the knives seem to come out quickly if there's even a suggestion of a form drop.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Matthews set the tone early in games though. He use to get smashed, get up and continue to dominate the game. He was the ultimate pinball machine just as Snr was for us.
It is why many regard Matthews as one of the toughest ever. He hit guys but he always took his as well.
You just have to go onto YouTube and watch old matches. There are now hundreds of full match replays (plenty of Geelong) and you will see why he's regarded as the best, or thereabouts.

Buddha Hocking was as tough as they get. Same as Matthews. hit blokes but never shirked a contest when he knew it was his time to cop it.
Not many players were like that.

Sorry, I've got to disagree. He ran like a scared schoolgirl after king hitting Bruns.

A coward.

But this is a thread about Danger's form......

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Short reminder all...

As the season progresses and the media starts looking at potential AA squad inclusions, Danger is being included in more AA teams than I've seen not

At the same time, some believe the he's form is down, want to focus on that, ignoring that Danger's season ain't actually too bad even if not at the same lofty heights as his past couple of seasons

And apparently the discussion has moved off topic in recent times and we need to return focus to the apparent drop in form by Danger...

He is one of those exceptional players that i actually believe his output could drop and he still earns AA honours... He is one of the elites of the game and amongst a handful of players who have that wriggle room to still obtain such honours.

The past few weeks seems to be more by design than any form drop that he is being used as a general forward with small snippets in the middle on occasions.

Does it seem to be working well?? So far yes. Lets possibly see if they decide to shift him back into the middle more often towards finals or they keep him forward rotating through the centre.

I wouldnt mind seeing him play a high half forward role roaming the wings and breaking lines from 100-60 m range.

His drop in output is as much by team design and shuffling than anything else

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Second most goal assists in the AFL this season despite being way down on possession numbers. Getting on the end of chains with less contested work. For team balance, the current versions of each midfielder are combining to give us a more efficient overall unit than in any of the seasons since Danger arrived. One year there was super mega peak Dangerwood with outside Duncan class, but nothing beyond that. Anyway great to see Danger pin pointing more passes inside 50 this season instead of simply blazing away or picking up so many hack possessions.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I just think people need to face reality on this one, 30 year olds often decline, hes still a very good player just not at the same level as 2 or 3 seasons ago.
Its a good thing that we signed him to a long term agreement for no real reason

Second most goal assists in the AFL this season despite being way down on possession numbers. Getting on the end of chains with less contested work. For team balance, the current versions of each midfielder are combining to give us a more efficient overall unit than in any of the seasons since Danger arrived. One year there was super mega peak Dangerwood with outside Duncan class, but nothing beyond that. Anyway great to see Danger pin pointing more passes inside 50 this season instead of simply blazing away or picking up so many hack possessions.

Offset by the fact he is barely hitting the scoreboard himself.

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Its a good thing that we signed him to a long term agreement for no real reason

Offset by the fact he is barely hitting the scoreboard himself.
You do have a point here, his 6.12 this year has made him way less efficient in goal scoring himself. 27.18 last year was way better. Quick analysis time, combine goals and assists normalised to possession numbers.

1.55 goals + goal assists per game (combined) in 2020

1.83 goals + goal assists per game (combined) in 2019

Normalised to possession count, a goal or assist every 14.8 possessions in 2019.

Normalised to possession count, a goal or assist every 13.7 possessions in 2020.

So even with deplorable goal kicking this season, he's still close enough to 10% more efficient at generating goals overall.

My point was pertaining to how effectively he sets up a team mate for a goal per possession though, not the goal kicking. A goal assist every 21.2 possessions this season, compared to 38.2 possessions in 2019, backs that up - almost twice as efficient with his effective field kicking inside 50.

Interestingly enough his overall disposal efficiency is relatively unchanged, it just seems to be when he's heading inside 50.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
You do have a point here, his 6.12 this year has made him way less efficient in goal scoring himself. 27.18 last year was way better. Quick analysis time, combine goals and assists normalised to possession numbers.

Normalised to possession count, a goal or assist every 14.8 possessions in 2019.

Normalised to possession count, a goal or assist every 13.7 possessions in 2020.

So even with deplorable goal kicking this season, he's still close enough to 10% more efficient at generating goals overall.

My point was pertaining to how effectively he sets up a team mate for a goal per possession though, not the goal kicking. A goal assist every 21.2 possessions this season, compared to 38.2 possessions in 2019, backs that up - almost twice as efficient with his effective field kicking inside 50.

Interestingly enough his overall disposal efficiency is relatively unchanged, it just seems to be when he's heading inside 50.
I have noticed his kicking inside 50 seems better. Looks like he is making a conscious effort to slow down his last couple of steps, to get his kick targeted. Rather than dumping it on the foot at full speed and blazing away.

His goal kicking still sucks though. You can pretty much count on him missing most of the time.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

So he is playing more forward but is having less impact on the scoreboard.

One thing I will note. He is playing his role in the forwardline better. He is no longer clogging up the space other players lead into and spoiling his own team so he can take the mark. It seems to be making the forwardline function better when he is playing forward.

4 goal assists from 24 possessions tonight, and one where Miers missed a soda. Much more efficient beast when heading into attack this season.
Back in the middle tonight and was very effective. Will be interesting to see if they can get the midfield balance right when we get to the finals

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
So he is playing more forward but is having less impact on the scoreboard.

One thing I will note. He is playing his role in the forwardline better. He is no longer clogging up the space other players lead into and spoiling his own team so he can take the mark. It seems to be making the forwardline function better when he is playing forward.

Back in the middle tonight and was very effective. Will be interesting to see if they can get the midfield balance right when we get to the finals
I standby the current versions of Dangerfield, Selwood, Duncan, Guthrie and Menegola adding up to a better midfield unit than in any of the previous 5 or so years. That's all that matters to me, not if Danger is in Brownlow form or not. The others are helping him more and releasing him on the outside to hit targets inside 50. It's a different Danger, but outside of goal kicking, is it actually a worse Danger for the team? I'd argue not. Plug in last year's goal kicking accuracy and people would say he is having a career best season, even with less possessions.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
I standby the current versions of Dangerfield, Selwood, Duncan, Guthrie and Menegola adding up to a better midfield unit than in any of the previous 5 or so years. That's all that matters to me, not if Danger is in Brownlow form or not. The others are helping him more and releasing him on the outside to hit targets inside 50. It's a different Danger, but outside of goal kicking, is it actually a worse Danger for the team? I'd argue not. Plug in last year's goal kicking accuracy and people would say he is having a career best season, even with less possessions.

agreed; couldn't care less about Dangerfield's standing in the game; right now he is a very important part of a side that is very much in-form.

has however definitely nudged ahead of Scratcher Neal in Geelong's #35 pecking order.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong

Seemed perfectly balanced last night, albeit in a 10 goal win with the opposition showing barely any fight.
I think drastic improvement of Guthrie and Menegola (and a lesser extent, the defensive side of Parfitts game) has brought a far better balance to the side than we've had recently, also rumours around the club suggest Danger has been given a bit of a rocket about his lack of chasing/manning up and that it'll cost him midfield minutes if he continues to do it (again I'll contribute that to the form of the above 3 providing opportunity to not NEED Dangerfield in the middle), which if true means we should see this more balanced and polished Dangerfield from here on.
I mean honestly if last night was replicated throughout the season you'd be hard pressed to say that he's not the best player in the game, so whatever they've done to do that, let's hope it continues.

11th ranked player in the league according to CD, before last night so yeah I’d say he is well and truly in All Australian form. And from a viewing point, our midfield is going excellent this year but it looks a hell of a lot better when he’s standing in the centre square.

ATSAM

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Herald Sun on line running a story about who you can trust in front of Goal. And it appears Dangerfield is not one of them

Herald Sun on line running a story about who you can trust in front of Goal. And it appears Dangerfield is not one of them
nor should he be.

GO Catters

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
There's probably only 2, maybe stretch to 4, who I'd trust in front of goal no matter the situation.
Hawkins an obvious number 1, Duncan second.
If I was pressed to find others I'd say Guthrie and Menegola a distant 3rd and 4th.
I'd have Dangerfield outside the first 15, unless he was outside 50.

Hinkley29

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2008
the heart of darkness
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
StL Cards, THFC, South Sydney
There's probably only 2, maybe stretch to 4, who I'd trust in front of goal no matter the situation.
Hawkins an obvious number 1, Duncan second.
If I was pressed to find others I'd say Guthrie and Menegola a distant 3rd and 4th.
I'd have Dangerfield outside the first 15, unless he was outside 50.
Rohan
Selwood
Gaz
Tuohy
Parfitt

I trust these guys

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Rohan
Selwood
Gaz
Tuohy
Parfitt

I trust these guys
Dunno about parfitt. I recall him missing a fair few.

I would add cam guthrie in. He’s a great goal kick, especially on the run.

And miers is pretty handy too. Last game was the first miss he has had this year. Had kicked 11 straight till that point. But he doesn’t have a long range though.

Back