jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
if you haven't got the information then your opinion is quite pointless.
Ratings have come out before. They were no higher than the error margin of american ratings, ie indistinguishable from zero.

If they have quadrupled, they are still very low.

This is true whether you pull a Trump, or not.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
And they are NOT zero. So why the B.S. comments.
They could be reasonable this year and there could be some spinoff.
Australian Football in the USA was built on the back of 1980s cable TV introduction.
Theyre not BS comments.

People posting about the AFL ratings in the US are almost as bad as the 'A league is going to take over' soccer crowd were 3 or 4 years ago.

AFL ratings in the US could have had a HUGE spike, and still amount to not much in the scheme of things. As Wookie said, they only list the top 50, which is never AFL.

I too get twitter posts and fb posts from Americans finding AFL and loving it, but some of these games are at 3.00 am, and we are talking hundreds of posters here, not hundreds of thousands.

AFL isnt getting significant revenue from the US any time soon.

After all, the last big boom in AFL on TV in the US was the early days of ESPN, and that died because ESPN wanted the AFL to PAY to show it.

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
People posting about the AFL ratings in the US are almost as bad as the 'A league is going to take over' soccer crowd were 3 or 4 years ago.

So that would include you because you're posting about AFL ratings in the USA.

AFL ratings in the US could have had a HUGE spike, and still amount to not much in the scheme of things.

It depends on how you approach things. It could be a really good boost to the USAFL.

I too get twitter posts and fb posts from Americans finding AFL and loving it, but some of these games are at 3.00 am,

Yes and despite the sometimes poor viewing times the average of 16 games was 23,000 in 2016.

AFL isnt getting significant revenue from the US any time soon.

It's about the development of Australian Football not AFL.

After all, the last big boom in AFL on TV in the US was the early days of ESPN, and that died because ESPN wanted the AFL to PAY to show it.

Which was a mutual loss by both parties.
Why would any business knock back popular content that was free?

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
So that would include you because you're posting about AFL ratings in the USA.

It depends on how you approach things. It could be a really good boost to the USAFL.

Yes and despite the sometimes poor viewing times the average of 16 games was 23,000 in 2016.

It's about the development of Australian Football not AFL.

Which was a mutual loss by both parties.
Why would any business knock back popular content that was free?
US is a TV market over 15 times our size.

23000 in that context is about 1600 here.

Imagine the A league. With no FTA at all, no news coverage, and ratings on Foxtel 1 tenth of what the currently are.

It's as close to invisible as it's possible to get without having no presence at all.

It's why the vast majority of Americans have no knowledge of the game at all.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
It's why the vast majority of Americans have no knowledge of the game at all.
It's not their game, no one knows about it unless they play it (ie introduced by an expat or stumble upon it at 3am on ESPN3). Most games are played overnight (think EPL, but worse), so live exposure is never going to be its strong point unless we play games at 9am (7pm over there).

Soccer is "the world game", self marketed. Their target audience in Australia is mainly early generation migrants who don't have the cultural ties to AFL/Cricket/NRL (whilst having parents who may have grown up watching EPL etc).

The AFL doesn't market itself in this way, even in NZ. It's a grassroots thing. Let people come to the game and build it up.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
US is a TV market over 15 times our size.

Yes, most people would be aware of this and that is the main attraction that indeed
the USA is a TV market over 15 times our size.
That's a prime reason for looking at China and now india and Pakistan etc etc etc.

23000 in that context is...

Is greater than many sports in Australia.
That is the beauty of the arrangement.
Don't beat yourself up conquering Australia but rather ger some easy points overseas.

Imagine the A league. With no FTA at all, no news coverage, and ratings on Foxtel

Yes, that's what everyone imagines.

It's as close to invisible as it's possible to get without having no presence at all.

Yes A-league is invisible to most because there is no point of difference.
The USAFL now has 46 clubs, almost one club per state.
Most of those clubs run metro leagues, women's teams, junior teams and football.variants.
With the increased exposure to AFL and the cessation of American Football Australian Football could leverage great gains in North America.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Most games are played overnight

Looking at past AFL USA ratings it is easy to see the games played at unsociable hours.
Some very decent ratings there also obviously at a better timeslot.
WTF do they have to show it live? They'd be much better ratings on delayed.
It's not as if the local news is going to run a spoiler.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
WTF do they have to show it live? They'd be much better ratings on delayed.
Sport is best viewed live. With the internet you can see the scores easily.
Why do they persist playing it live? Because it's cheap live filler when they'd otherwise show replays that would rate lower. There's enough US live sport to cover 10am to midnight, so it's not like the 3pm time slot is sitting free and you can delay the game 12 hours.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sport is best viewed live. With the internet you can see the scores easily.

IN AUSTRALIA.

We're talikng the USA. HTF are you going to see scores in the USA ulless you SEARCH the internet.
Look, if you're that fanatical about LIVE football then you'd obviously invest in WatchAFL.
They have achieved good ratings for AFL games in the USA in reasonable time slots.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
IN AUSTRALIA.

We're talikng the USA. HTF are you going to see scores in the USA ulless you SEARCH the internet.
Look, if you're that fanatical about LIVE football then you'd obviously invest in WatchAFL.
They have achieved good ratings for AFL games in the USA in reasonable time slots.
No network is gonna bump dodgers v blue jays for collingwood v richmond

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
No network is gonna bump dodgers v blue jays for collingwood v richmond

What a totally irrelevant statement.

No network is going to bump a MLB game for an AFL game because they are on different channels.
No network is going to bump a MLB game for an AFL game because they are in diametrically opposite time slots.
No network is going to bump a MLB game for an AFL game because there is plenty of room either side of a MLB game.
No network is going to bump a MLB game for an AFL game because there are plenty of days, hours and timeslots available.

There is a huge shortage of content caused by Covid19 producing a huge demand for content to fill in.
There have been plenty of AFL games that have attracted reasonable ratings when aired in a suitable time slot.
All the networks have to do is delay the games to achieve much better ratings.
To my knowledge, professional sports in the U.S.A. are like those in Australia and are played in the late afternoon through to night time.
That leaves a huge amount of available time to fill will alternative sports.

It's not rocket science.
The increased exposure of AFL on North American media could provide quite a boost to Australian Football in the U.S.A.

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
Optus Stadium is claiming on Facebook that tonight’s Freo vs Carlton game is the first time the venue has been sold out this season. No more tickets left.

It may be the biggest crowd for the season.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Optus Stadium is claiming on Facebook that tonight’s Freo vs Carlton game is the first time the venue has been sold out this season. No more tickets left.It may be the biggest crowd for the season.

That's strange because Eagles members have to go into a lottery for tickets. I would have thought Dockers as well.

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
24,114 Freo vs Carlton. The rain probably kept some of the members who got free tickets away.

That's strange because Eagles members have to go into a lottery for tickets. I would have thought Dockers as well.

Any Freo members who didn’t ask for a membership refund due to COVID, get a code for every game to select a seat for free. But you only get one day to select the seats, about five days before the game, before the rest of the seats go on sale to the general public.

I’m normally in the pocket in the fifth level. But for the derby I got the closest row your allowed in, directly next to the Eagles bench. So my normal seat might be $70 for a game, but those seats might be $150 a game, but I paid nothing extra for them. My young cousin who is an Eagles supporter was pretty happy I took him when my partner wasn’t able to come with.

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
That seems to be the capacity.
Every second row is clear plus a few others and there is a minimum one seat clear between groups.

The first two rows from the field are empty, to quarantine the players from the general public.

Then every second row after that is empty for separation between spectators. But I don’t think there is a gap between different groups in the row. Definitely not when me and my cousin were sitting next to randoms on both sides of us, and every row was full with no gaps.

It seems to be the level two seats on the southern side that are mostly empty. I think these tend to be corporate type seats. So may not be factored in, when claiming a sell out, instead they just mean seats available to Joe Blow.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
The first two rows from the field are empty, to quarantine the players from the general public.

Then every second row after that is empty for separation between spectators. But I don’t think there is a gap between different groups in the row. Definitely not when me and my cousin were sitting next to randoms on both sides of us, and every row was full with no gaps.

It seems to be the level two seats on the southern side that are mostly empty. I think these tend to be corporate type seats. So may not be factored in, when claiming a sell out, instead they just mean seats available to Joe Blow.

I'm in premiership terrace (i.e HFF on southern side), a lot of people just stand behind the seats, especially if it rains. As I understand it those seats are all available to buy. On the wing is sports lounge (Dunno what they cost, but it wouldn't be cheap), and then on the other side is bankwest club (which you can't buy seats in). All of them have big areas above the rows of seats that you can stand in and still watch the game.

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
I'm in premiership terrace (i.e HFF on southern side), a lot of people just stand behind the seats, especially if it rains. As I understand it those seats are all available to buy. On the wing is sports lounge (Dunno what they cost, but it wouldn't be cheap), and then on the other side is bankwest club (which you can't buy seats in). All of them have big areas above the rows of seats that you can stand in and still watch the game.

Yeah I got seats in the Sports Lounge for last years WAFL GF. Everyone in that area easily fits into the bar area behind.

Whilst there is a lot of frontage facing the ground, not everyone would fit side by side and you have to wonder, why bother going if you are going to be in the bar area and not likely watching the game...

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Yeah I got seats in the Sports Lounge for last years WAFL GF. Everyone in that area easily fits into the bar area behind.

Whilst there is a lot of frontage facing the ground, not everyone would fit side by side and you have to wonder, why bother going if you are going to be in the bar area and not likely watching the game...

Full strength beer.

Back