AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

What would it take?
Could this covid season be the precursor?
Two QLD teams, both competitive, one likely a top 4 team
The Courier Fail owned NRL team being less than garbage
A Grand Final in QLD?
Could the seeds laid be enough?
not a chance in hell. As soon as the lions become mediocre again and the broncos become competitive support would flip straight back again

Is Cairns really the hotbead for Australia Football that I keep hearing?

I'm sure to the extent it is, it is only marginally more than the Gold Coast with both based on substantial immigration from Vic, SA ant Tassie...just that there is 4 times as many people on the gold coast

Overall there is 3.6M in South east Queensland. This is why it makes sense long term to have two Clubs there....and would make no sense whatsover to have one another 2 and a half hours flight further north in a city of 150,000

One very basic fact that most Victorians cannot comprehend is SOO Game 1 gets more TV viewers than the AFL Grand Final.

It sometimes gets better average TV ratings than the grand final

It never gets more viewers.

The AFL grand final is easily the biggest event in Australian sport in terms of domestic interest.

Bottom line is an annual three game series is only an annual three game series.

One very basic fact that most Victorians cannot comprehend is SOO Game 1 gets more TV viewers than the AFL Grand Final.

Because the NRL are smart and put SOO and their Grand Final on during prime TV viewing times (at night).

Once the AFL gets with the times and change the GF to night and turn it into a spectacle it will become the number 1 watched sporting event in the country by a mile. Until then forget it.

Because the NRL are smart and put SOO and their Grand Final on during prime TV viewing times (at night).

Once the AFL gets with the times and change the GF to night and turn it into a spectacle it will become the number 1 watched sporting event in the country by a mile. Until then forget it.

Forget what? The AFL GF is already is the number 1 watched sporting event in the country by a mile

It will be by a mile and a bit if and when it moves to twilight or night

Forget what? The AFL GF is already is the number 1 watched sporting event in the country by a mile

It will be by a mile and a bit if and when it moves to twilight or night

SOO1 pipped it. Not sure where you're getting your figures from.

SOO1 pipped it. Not sure where you're getting your figures from.

If the average of a three hour program is "pipped" by the average of a two hour program than the three hour program almost certainly had more viewers

The ratings also breakdown for the AFL grand final given how many are watching it out and about

Is Cairns really the hotbead for Australia Football that I keep hearing?
Cairns does have a great local AFL league that gets plenty of column inches in the Cairns Post as does the afl more widely. There’s a lot of Victorians up here working in tourism, so lots of interest and always someone willing to have a chat about the footy. While league is still the number one sport by a comfortable margin, AFL isn’t derided like it is in some other parts of QLD / NSW. Will be interesting to see how the handful of games go next month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cairns does have a great local AFL league that gets plenty of column inches in the Cairns Post as does the afl more widely. There’s a lot of Victorians up here working in tourism, so lots of interest and always someone willing to have a chat about the footy. While league is still the number one sport by a comfortable margin, AFL isn’t derided like it is in some other parts of QLD / NSW. Will be interesting to see how the handful of games go next month.
Not just Victorian’s up here...
The AFL is better organised up here with the NRL floundering with its grass roots efforts.
The support from AFL HQ and the Auskick program can’t be denied.

I lived in QLD (Toowoomba) for six years up to 2012. Rugby-league is rooted into the culture and history of the place, AFL is more like a visiting circus or show that comes into town sometimes, it is like the Storm in Melbourne, it can't penetrate the broader culture.
There is no culture in qld.
Rugby league is a game played by blockheads for blockheads.

There is no culture in qld.
Rugby league is a game played by blockheads for blockheads.

Maybe true, I'm not a massive lover of league. I'm from Perth and really missed Aussie Rules when I was in QLD.

What I meant about the culture and history of league could be illustrated by this example. I was wearing a Newtown Jets retro jersey (they were pushed out of the NSWRL, now NRL, around 1983). A couple of times guys would stop me on the street to talk about Newtown, a club which hadn't even been in the top league for over 20 years by then and they were a Sydney club anyway. That sort of culture and history and affection is hard to replicate overnight or even ever.

My RL friends boast how well internationally RL goes. Which is bolox.

But in my work place there has been alot more talk about the AFL as a whole. Quite a few who are RL mad have enjoyed this festival of football.

It may take time. But its possible.

I can't stand qld RL fans. Enoy the **** out of me. That's one reason I support the blues in the origin.

The crowds at the current lot of QLD games is a deadset blight on the game and cast a extremely negative perception of the current game. The fact they refuse to announce crowd numbers is just cringeworthy. Just admit they have 200 people there and accept the failure.

The crowds at the current lot of QLD games is a deadset blight on the game and cast a extremely negative perception of the current game. The fact they refuse to announce crowd numbers is just cringeworthy. Just admit they have 200 people there and accept the failure.
Incredible if true. But I don’t believe that to be the case.
The crowds do look pretty average though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back