List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Like Harks’ said, we’ve gone the midfielders from the previous drafts, actually for the last 4 with our 1st 2 selections.
2016: Setterfield, SPS, Fisher
2017: Dow, LOB
2018: Walsh, Stocker (Gibbons + Cottrell)
2019: Kemp, Philp (& Ramsay)
That’s 9 midfielders that need to step up & play midfield minutes but our transition has been to place in other positions. We’ve also got DC & Kennedy from 2015..

Happy with the “small” forwards in reserve of Honey, Phillips & Owies. Another at the draft that has some dynamic traits would be welcome.

KP is where we need to be looking as uncertainty around Goddard, BSOS, Macreadie & Moore is not an answer plus our injuries in this department. Not sure where Finbar fits in but I do like his attributes as tall pocket/flanker.

I’d like to see some players with dash out of the backline but just as important, deft skills. We need better users all over the park.

Not sure if we’ll have a 1st rounder come draft day as the mature route will likely be the one we head down prior to draft night. The club wants stability within the list, so it’ll be interesting on who makes it through to 2021 & what holes are there & if selection’s are made to accomodate or it’s best avail until the RD.

Edit: no objection if we gave up our draft picks, along with FA's, in obtaining Papley (or a replica @ 1/2 the value), Witherden, Z.Williams & another midfielder for instant impact...though we have the talent already at our disposal, if they can be developed.

Last edited:

new_blue

Team Captain
Aug 19, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I personally see Philp taking over Ed's role in a couple of years. He strikes me as the type of person who is disciplined and team oriented, possessing all the physical attributes necessary to play the role of a highly accountable midfielder who can punish his opponent going the other way.

I definitely see that as an option once he builds the required tank. Just feel he starts as a HBF.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Size ?
Position ?
Plays like ?

Looks about 6"2, plays HFF, natural footballer and goalkicker, gets up the ground to get into play, good wheels, carries the ball, lovely kick.

Only saw him twice. Played with Rowell,Anderson and co as well as the No1 prospect this year. His class didn't look out of place.

Seen and heard nothing this year though.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
I don’t have any special access to junior footy. We need to draft X factor, either on ball, HHB or forward. Please tell me someone is available mid first round who fits the bill?

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
I don’t have any special access to junior footy. We need to draft X factor, either on ball, HHB or forward. Please tell me someone is available mid first round who fits the bill?

Elijah Hollands as a dynamic half forward/midfielder if he slides that far. Done his ACL though but was touted as the potential #1 pick.

Otherwise Tanner Bruhn (classy goal kicking mid), Archie Perkins (half forward/mid) and Oliver Henry (utility) are the ones you're after.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
Looks about 6"2, plays HFF, natural footballer and goalkicker, gets up the ground to get into play, good wheels, carries the ball, lovely kick.

Only saw him twice. Played with Rowell,Anderson and co as well as the No1 prospect this year. His class didn't look out of place.

Seen and heard nothing this year though.
Sounds good Terry...
Ford 188cm 79kg Western Jets Dynamic forward-midfielder, explosive, xfactor, very skilled strong in the air and ground level...
Just looked Ford up on AFL draft central which is for anyone who is not familiar with it has some terrific information on many of these kids about their height weight talents testing coaches comments strengths and weaknesses and a general summery of the kids year as a whole and where they might land as far as draft range...

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
AFL draft central, liked the assessments on all these suggestions...
*E.Hollands 188cm 77kg Murray.. xfactor forward-midfielder...
*E.Ford 188cm 79kg Western.. Dynamic forward-midfielder...
*A.Perkins 186cm 77kg Sand’ham.. Explosive forward-midfielder...
*J.Ginnivan 182cm 79kg Bendigo.. Clever, goal sense forward...

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I have slowly started to come around to the idea of using our first pick in this draft, currently pick 7, if I’m choosing, I wouldn’t be happy to do that if the clear bests at our pick were tall defenders, rucks or tall forwards, but I would love for us to take a medium/small forward, as it’s an area we are missing.

I haven’t seen or heard anything about the draft, but a player like Rankine, Rozze, Higgins, Greene, Lipinski, Bolton, someone with X factor, mongrel, composure, goal sense would be great for us.

Totally not fussed with our other picks as I still see us trading either this years or next years first and a second rounder somewhere.

Afl draft central is a fantastic resource. Everyone interested in the draft should check it out

I think one/some of the resident BF draft experts are involved.... Bishop?

I use it as my main source of info to work out which youtube highlights I should take out of context next :)

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
I have slowly started to come around to the idea of using our first pick in this draft, currently pick 7, if I’m choosing, I wouldn’t be happy to do that if the clear bests at our pick were tall defenders, rucks or tall forwards, but I would love for us to take a medium/small forward, as it’s an area we are missing.

I haven’t seen or heard anything about the draft, but a player like Rankine, Rozze, Higgins, Greene, Lipinski, Bolton, someone with X factor, mongrel, composure, goal sense would be great for us.

Totally not fussed with our other picks as I still see us trading either this years or next years first and a second rounder somewhere.

I've warmed to the idea of using our first pick in the draft too.

This years draft picks are going to be worth peanuts on the trade table given the lack of junior footy.

Probably best to keep it and take the best talent available.

There's still going to be some elite A grade talent in this draft. It will just be a little more speculative than other years.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
Afl draft central is a fantastic resource. Everyone interested in the draft should check it out

I think one/some of the resident BF draft experts are involved.... Bishop?

I use it as my main source of info to work out which youtube highlights I should take out of context next :)
It’s a real shame that the U18-championships and TacCup Grand Final won’t be there to watch, top two for me to watch, there’s plenty of access to live, and replay’s highlights of the U18’s games these days... There’s some great formats like Draft Central out there that provide excellent information on all these youngsters, nothing like watching these players in games and moulding your own opinion on who and what you like...

reubsblues

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I think Marchbank has the capacity to be the best intercept marking third tall defender in the comp.
With Weitering to take the best forward, Jones to take the most athletic/tallest forward, Marchbank can be the one reading the play and drifting across to kill the contest.

With Plowman or Macreadie taking the best marking, medium forward for a stopping job, and Williamson to take the fastest small forward, we then have Docherty, Simpson or SPS to do the mopping up and generating attacks.

I'd prioritise taking the tallest, most athletic key defender in this draft (like a Nikolas Cox or Zach Reid) to have a few years to get strong enough to take over from Jones when he's done.
That's a seriously slow backline

Last year I told you we should split our first pick, take Philp and Honey.

It's still a bit early in the year for me, but I'll be back in the coming months to tell you what we'll do.
There's something about Honey. The way he moves. He just looks like a quality footballer. He didnt do much against Freo but there's definitely something interesting about this young man.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Keeping in mind it's very rare for a Ruckman to go in the 1st round. Every year a Ruckman expected to go in the first round seems to slide.

I think in the long term TDK will replace the Levi role being both a forward and ruck. Even as a kid he had some good write ups as a forward. I don't see Pittonet as a long term number 1 ruckman.

Mentioned in the past would happily go for someone like Sam Hayes or Callum Coleman-Jones. But I don't think we currently have a future number one Ruckman on our list.

We went into the season with essential 2.5 Ruckman and Kruzer. That worries me a little. Especially because it is a position that takes so long to develop.
Pitto doesnt have to be a long term solution. Just pickup another mature afer

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
There's something about Honey. The way he moves. He just looks like a quality footballer. He didnt do much against Freo but there's definitely something interesting about this young man.
Two words: Tom Bell.

Now it's on the kid to reach a far better ceiling.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I've warmed to the idea of using our first pick in the draft too.

This years draft picks are going to be worth peanuts on the trade table given the lack of junior footy.

Probably best to keep it and take the best talent available.

There's still going to be some elite A grade talent in this draft. It will just be a little more speculative than other years.
How does your second and third sentence make sense? Picks useless because you don't know what you have available.. therefore lets take best available.

This is the season to trade first picks for either more mid range picks or established players. Take a whole bunch of kids and try abd unearth one who could have dominated if given the chance or trade for an established player.

Teams like Adelaide, Sydney, North, Suns, Pies, West Coast still need talented 18 year olds so the buying market will be there

nothing like watching these players in games and moulding your own opinion on who and what you like...

images - 2020-08-17T124827.179.jpeg

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
How does your second and third sentence make sense? Picks useless because you don't know what you have available.. therefore lets take best available.

This is the season to trade first picks for either more mid range picks or established players. Take a whole bunch of kids and try abd unearth one who could have dominated if given the chance or trade for an established player.

Teams like Adelaide, Sydney, North, Suns, Pies, West Coast still need talented 18 year olds so the buying market will be there

I'm favouring keeping a top 10 draft pick instead of trading it to only receive an average player because clubs are devaluing draft picks due to lack of junior footy.

The reality is recruiters have been watching these kids for years, so they'll have a strong idea on the players at the very top end of the draft. It's worth using the pick with the added risk of drafting a bust if the return on the trade table isn't justified.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm favouring keeping a top 10 draft pick instead of trading it to only receive an average player because clubs are devaluing draft picks due to lack of junior footy.

The reality is recruiters have been watching these kids for years, so they'll have a strong idea on the players at the very top end of the draft. It's worth using the pick with the added risk of drafting a bust if the return on the trade table isn't justified.
Still makes no sense to me. If recruiters have a strong idea of who the best players are, why would top 10 picks be devalued?

Back