Contract Status: Out of contract 2024
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 23, DERO

Last edited by a moderator:

Legend Lucas

Debutant
Sep 14, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
I was all in on giving him an oppourtunity. He would be the first small lockdown defender to try and defend his player by not going anywhere near him🤦‍♂️

R t james

Debutant
Jul 14, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I goal , take that before the game , maybe kicks one himself would have been even better , no calling Rankine out when guelf masked uo forward uncontested

Guelfi on Rankine is not an idea that should have been allowed to be put into action.
Here's the thing, he had to. He doesn't provide the flexibility to play on smalls or mediums like Gleeson and Ridley, he doesn't have the run and carry of Redman and Saad, he doesn't have the intercept work of Ridley and Francis. He's effectively playing as a lockdown small defender who doesn't play on the opposition's best small forward. Redman and Gleeson have the propensity to play on a secondary small forward, as seen by Redman blanketing Ainsworth for a decent portion of the night and Gleeson having done jobs last year on secondary smalls like Josh Thomas and Brandon Matera.

Guelfi is a guy that gets a game because he tries hard. He's Ben Howlett-lite as a midfielder essentially.

Jul 6, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal, Pacers
He got a lot of stick for it but I didn't mind him going to support his teammate in that contest that led to Rankine's 50m bomb. Reckon a lot of well regarded defenders would have done the same.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
He got a lot of stick for it but I didn't mind him going to support his teammate in that contest that led to Rankine's 50m bomb. Reckon a lot of well regarded defenders would have done the same.
Well regarded defenders kill that contest, I’m not a fan of leaving your man to not influence the contests your coming of your man for especially when your a small defender minding a small dangerous forward.

Tagged an out of form Brad Hill and played him back into form. Tries hard but doesn't get the ball very often, averages less than 2 tackles a game, and when he does get it he doesn't really use it that well.

I know some people will say "focus on what he can do rather than what he can't" but please tell me what he "can" do. He wasn't the worst today but still, he isn't AFL standard and we need to make a call on him.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Tagged an out of form Brad Hill and played him back into form. Tries hard but doesn't get the ball very often, averages less than 2 tackles a game, and when he does get it he doesn't really use it that well.

I know some people will say "focus on what he can do rather than what he can't" but please tell me what he "can" do. He wasn't the worst today but still, he isn't AFL standard and we need to make a call on him.
Freo were into him last year probably could’ve got a 3rd off them, which would’ve been in the 40s. Doubt we’d get anything close to that now.

Freo were into him last year probably could’ve got a 3rd off them, which would’ve been in the 40s. Doubt we’d get anything close to that now.
They traded their 3rd ast year in 2018, but yeah, a future 3rd round pick maybe. I'd take a pick in the 60's for however many points we'd get at this stage

He’s one that really got screwed by Covid along with Begley, Mutch and Gown with no VFL. I still don’t really know what he is or could be and I doubt we’re going to get to really find out.

I look at how physical he is, how good a runner he is and how good his leg is and think Mitch Robinson and Ed Curnow. A midfield experiment makes more sense than trying to turn him into a defender or tagger IMO

He’s one that really got screwed by Covid along with Begley, Mutch and Gown with no VFL. I still don’t really know what he is or could be and I doubt we’re going to get to really find out.

I look at how physical he is, how good a runner he is and how good his leg is and think Mitch Robinson and Ed Curnow. A midfield experiment makes more sense than trying to turn him into a defender or tagger IMO
I honestly see Ben Howlett-lite. Robbo and Curnow, come year 3/4 were getting high teens/low 20's averages though. He's getting 11/12.

I honestly see Ben Howlett-lite. Robbo and Curnow, come year 3/4 were getting high teens/low 20's averages though. He's getting 11/12.

You don’t reckon he could gather high teens if played exclusively on ball?

Not that we should do that but I had him penned in in the centres of our VFL side this year with Begley and Hibberd and he hasn’t had that chance.

There was Probably at least 6-8 worst performed teammates on the ground, he had more tackles than most, as many as Townsend, Cutler and Clarke combined and you focus on bagging him out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen

I was all for trying him as a midfield bull. A role player if you like but tend to agree. Not sure what he brings to the team apart from a tough head. Sort of bloke who is number 30 on your list, not in the top 22.

You don’t reckon he could gather high teens if played exclusively on ball?

Not that we should do that but I had him penned in in the centres of our VFL side this year with Begley and Hibberd and he hasn’t had that chance.
That's basically what he did last year apart from those first couple of games last year. Averaged 13.7 a game. I don't see him doing it honestly.
There was Probably at least 6-8 worst performed teammates on the ground, he had more tackles than most, as many as Townsend, Cutler and Clarke combined and you focus on bagging him out?
Yes, he was better than quite a few. However that doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about him and the fact he isn't AFL standard. The fact you haven't actually refuted my point proves that.
I was all for trying him as a midfield bull. A role player if you like but tend to agree. Not sure what he brings to the team apart from a tough head. Sort of bloke who is number 30 on your list, not in the top 22.
He has to play as the small lockdown defender at this stage and that's redundant since he won't take the #1 small forward and beat them.

Yes, he was better than quite a few. However that doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about him and the fact he isn't AFL standard. The fact you haven't actually refuted my point proves that.
Didn’t think Hill was played into form exactly and Saints were clearly making extra effort to look for him after last weeks comments that they were possibly ignoring him at times. Jury still out on whether he’ll ever make it, but he’s ahead of quite a few.

Didn’t think Hill was played into form exactly and Saints were clearly making extra effort to look for him after last weeks comments that they were possibly ignoring him at times. Jury still out on whether he’ll ever make it, but he’s ahead of quite a few.
He's played nearly 40 games and have tried him in 3 or 4 different roles. If the jury's still out it's very concerning.

R t james

Debutant
Jul 14, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Started of okay yesterday then went of , when he came back on he had that role somewhere in the backline where your not allowed to play , seen others do when he wasnt getting a game with the same results , must be part of the plan and the fourth quarter they must have said go and get a kick , wasn’t the bombers best game but there was a lot of kids out there

Legend Lucas

Debutant
Sep 14, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Fantastic game. You always know he is going to have a dip one of the few players you can trust in our side to always have a crack. Just no good at lockdown roles.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
You know you're blessed when you can't seem to get within 3 feet of your direct opponent but are penciled in as a defender.

Why did we drop Redman while this guy is playing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back