Obscure Players That You Remember

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm pretty sure he when he was brought back in 86/87, a lot of the talk was about his leadership. He may have even been made vice-captain to Border - although I have heard various stories both pro and con (dressing room discussions etc - the team was basically crap except for Border). He was brought in for Boon, who, despite not really having made a go of his test career to then (he was averaging mid-30s at best) was very popular. As we all know Border had his favourites, and it was HIS team, so unless Wellham starred, he was out on his ear straight away. Australia won, Wellham flopped, and was never heard of again (internationally, at least).

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Some former shield cricketers

Peter Gladigau
Joe Scuderi
Greg Rowell
Danny Buckingham
Glenn Bishop
Darren Webber
Paul Jackson
Corey Richards
Mark Lavender
Neil Maxwell
Richard Chee Quee

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I saw Richard Soule and Danny Buckingham batting together, they turned a nudge to fine leg into a quick single.
Big boys, made Boon look positively slim. Those two, Boon and Sean Young in the same team. On flights for away games they had to sit two on each side of the plance, two near the front, two near the back. Basically one in each corner of the cabin to balance the weight.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Big boys, made Boon look positively slim. Those two, Boon and Sean Young in the same team. On flights for away games they had to sit two on each side of the plance, two near the front, two near the back. Basically one in each corner of the cabin to balance the weight.
Shaun Young playing test cricket is one of life's great mysteries.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Shaun Young playing test cricket is one of life's great mysteries.
He probably did deserve games at other times (if an all-rounder was to be selected, not something I regard as mandatory but selectors often do). If not, then very close.
His chance came when he was basically in the worst form of his life. Even then, it was considered to be him or Shane Lee, so the right call was made (again, if an all-rounder was to be selected).

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
He probably did deserve games at other times (if an all-rounder was to be selected, not something I regard as mandatory but selectors often do). If not, then very close.
His chance came when he was basically in the worst form of his life. Even then, it was considered to be him or Shane Lee, so the right call was made (again, if an all-rounder was to be selected).
I would put it to you that if you had to choose out of those 2 you are better off not having an all-rounder. The one test he did play was on a green top, where he batted at 8 and was the first change seamer. It would appear they should have picked another quick.

It would have been about the same time a kid called Ponting turned up at the Academy.

Shane Lee couldn't have played any worse :think:

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Tubby cricketers gotta love em.

Who was that tubby cricketer who, when asked, "why are you so fat?", replied, "every time I F your wife she gives me a biscuit"???
Eddo Brandes.
All of them.

Also every baseball player since time immemorial.
And Harold from Neighbours when he was heckled in a nightclub according to a guy I worked with in England.

Back