Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact IV “Phasing into the New Normal”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Looks like the Libs and Newscorp might need to find another line of attack with their "kill Dan" strategy, it seems patient zero in the quarantine outbreak was a hotel worker not a security guard.

Scomo needs to stop the backdoor blame game and get on with the job.
John Hewson sums it up very succinctly.

@JohnRHewson
End game for Morrison Government is security and welfare of the Australian people, not to seek short-term political advantage. They have clear responsibility for aged care, quarantine and the ADF. Cut the crap, accept the responsibility and do the job for which you were elected.
6:24 AM · Aug 14, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
It was clearly the Victorian state governments fault not the federal government . It like saying scomo has done a great job with covid in WA.

It's not his credit or him blame

Aug 12, 2014
P-town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Prescot Cables
so close to getting a zero and then bang. another 2 cases in hq

question is how are we still getting overseas travellers returning six months after the pandemic escalated
Sometimes it takes time to move your life from overseas to back home. I'm intending to do the same after being in the UK for 6 years, but am waiting for contracts to be signed and have a 3 month notice period. It's not as simple as just coming home.

Feb 5, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast (AFLW)
Studied it and applied it in emergency management roles

Cool. Can you point me at the bit regarding state governments having to ask for defence force deployment? I downloaded a copy earlier but while it's a much easier read than I was expecting the only mentions of the word defense didn't appear to be the right sections.

Also if you could point me at the bit Palmer's using in his dispute over state borders that would be sweet :)

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
dont let the facts and the constiturtion spoil a good story.
1. The biggest issue in aged care is the patients dignity. In newmark in Sydney most 'patienyts' refuesed to leave for hospital. Those able to understand the risks but acepted that life was better for them in care not in a hospital. Thanse not able to aunderstsand any longer are far better of in care. Lawyers refuse to look at or emphathise with the context. Aged care is designed to care not to quarentine. We have to live with this.
2. When the Colonies seeded to the Commonwealth defence responsibilities they retained (enshrined in the Constitution) a caveit that Defenec forces can only assist the States when specifically requested by a state. This was seen as a protective measure against military interference. Put simplu the ADF can only help if invited to do so. Dan didnt want to invite them for some reason. He did for the bush fires while NSW declined to do so for some time. Why? I suspect egos within the state organisations.

Vic is suffering for a quarantine failure - it was managed by the State. All else is dressing
It was managed by the states because Morrison would only agree to hotel quarantine if the states managed it.
I haven't read the constitution but I am led to believe that quarantine is a federal govt responsibility.
Not sure what the ADF's responsibilities under the constitution has to do with anything I posted.
I'm pretty sure I recall someone here was blaming the security guards and regaling us with blow by blow descriptions of their misdeeds, turns out that may not have been the case but apparently that doesn't matter now, shift the goalposts, play on.
Five months into the pandemic and the federal govt still doesn't have a covid 19 response plan for aged care, but apparently aged care is just for care not for quarantine so we don't need a plan, the elderly just have to wear it.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Phase 5 delayed until mid/late October. The correct decision again, McGowan I think has left the door slightly ajar for it to be earlier if the Victorian situation improves quicker than expected. My bet is that the Victorian situation will improve slightly quicker than expected due to the lockdown and discussions around phase 5 will move to early/mid October, providing no stuff ups in Victoria and NSW.

Royal show has been cancelled, and it probably puts another nail in the WA Grand final coffin. I believe this extended delay was mainly due to the NZ situation which shows that borders really aren't a bullet proof shield.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Phase 5 delayed until mid/late October. The correct decision again, McGowan I think has left the door slightly ajar for it to be earlier if the Victorian situation improves quicker than expected. My bet is that the Victorian situation will improve slightly quicker than expected due to the lockdown and discussions around phase 5 will move to early/mid October, providing no stuff ups in Victoria and NSW.

Royal show has been cancelled, and it probably puts another nail in the WA Grand final coffin. I believe this extended delay was mainly due to the NZ situation which shows that borders really aren't a bullet proof shield.

Think the WA government concerned with the influx of expats from Bali coming in and if our hotels are going to be even more loaded then the risk is higher for a case to slip through. So cancelling the royal show is smart.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Think the WA government concerned with the influx of expats from Bali coming in and if our hotels are going to be even more loaded then the risk is higher for a case to slip through. So cancelling the royal show is smart.
That Bali risk is seriously overblown, and not for the first time. We have hardly heard anything in regards to people returning from India, Pakistan or the US, but suddenly Bali is an issue? If anything these people have done the country a favour by delaying their arrival instead of rushing back with everyone else. Many of these people will still remain there and find a sponsor if necessary. The main problem areas in regards to the virus in Indonesia is Jakarta and Java in general.

That Bali risk is seriously overblown, and not for the first time. We have hardly heard anything in regards to people returning from India, Pakistan or the US, but suddenly Bali is an issue? If anything these people have done the country a favour by delaying their arrival instead of rushing back with everyone else. Many of these people will still remain there and find a sponsor if necessary. The main problem areas in regards to the virus in Indonesia is Jakarta and Java in general.

Plenty of Australian citizens coming back from India (for example) have been discovered to be COVID positive and that is an issue that has been widely reported (many of those found positive in WA hotels, for example, were returnees from India). Plenty of people in Bali have also been found to be COVID positive - it is not unreasonable to extrapolate that they are a small but significant risk.

The mere fact of them being Australian citizens does not make them immune.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
The mere fact of them being Australian citizens does not make them immune.
Was anyone saying this was the case?

I have a boots on the ground perspective in regards to Indonesia due to personal ties. A fair amount of the Bali cases are from returning workers from overseas who have been tested on arrival to Indonesia (The Indonesian border is also largely closed)

Hap Hapablap

I'm off to Nepal to become a mountain goat.
Jun 27, 2006
Where the cows go bong.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers,Internazionale, Man U
this bali influx i believe is only warranted if these guys are returning to australia permanently. i dont think these ones are per se, i think theyll fly out of indonesia to say singapore and just come back.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
You were saying the risk is 'seriously overblown', I don't think it is.
There is a risk, but it isn't higher than cases coming from numerous other countries. It certainly isn't such a risk that it should be a major reason for a phase 5 delay. McGowan has personally singled out Bali on several occasions right through the pandemic, probably due to it being a well known destination. It is an easy, cheap target.

Saying it is "seriously overblown" doesn't mean I am saying that there will be no cases because the returning people are Australian citizens, that is a ridiculous proposition, but it means I am saying it is getting way more coverage as a "risk" destination in comparison to other places that should be of greater concern.

Aug 12, 2014
P-town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Prescot Cables
How is it a risk if you're tested on international arrival, quarantined and then have to test negative to leave quarantine? Much bigger risk in state to state movement where people can quarantine at home and have been a bit lax. Some airlines are even asking for a negative covid test within a couple of days before you get on the plane.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
How is it a risk if you're tested on international arrival, quarantined and then have to test negative to leave quarantine? Much bigger risk in state to state movement where people can quarantine at home and have been a bit lax. Some airlines are even asking for a negative covid test within a couple of days before you get on the plane.
They are both risks - if you are positive you can pass it on no matter how stringent the proceedures are

Look at how many ppe’d up health workers have caught it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back