List Mgmt. Time to demand Reid and Co. to be sacked.

Remove this Banner Ad

We got 10 honest good years from Danger.

8 years, but yeah I think we got our draft pick's worth out of him. Even though he knew from the start of the year that he was leaving, you can't have a go at him for half-arsing anything given that he won the B&F on his way out the door. And while we got a better return in the trade than we would have got as FA compensation, the problem is that we squandered it on Milera (looked like he'd be good early, but hasn't progressed since) and Menzel as well as wasting list space on Dean Gore.

When judging Hamish people really need to cross reference it with the teams that have had a monopoly on the top of the draft over the last decade. MELB, GC, GWS, BRIS, CARL

MELB: That Midfield could easily be the most dominant midfield over the next 5 seasons
GC: IMO the most exciting young list in the AFL
BRIS: Dripping with talent across the entire field, especially the midfield
GWS: So much talent it literally falls off their list every trade period
CARL: Underperforming to their draft capital, but only just getting off the bottom this year and still have plenty of upside

I think Hamish is really only getting his first swing at the premium end of the draft this year. People like to unfairly judge him for not finding top 2 talent with picks in the 10-50 range.

I'm more then happy to give him the next 2 drafts to see what he can do with the kind of hand the above teams have had.

Ok then lets compare his drafting to Richmond or WCE or Geelong or Collingwood then, see how it stacks up.

When judging Hamish people really need to cross reference it with the teams that have had a monopoly on the top of the draft over the last decade. MELB, GC, GWS, BRIS, CARL

BRIS: Dripping with talent across the entire field, especially the midfield

I think Hamish is really only getting his first swing at the premium end of the draft this year. People like to unfairly judge him for not finding top 2 talent with picks in the 10-50 range.

Except Brisbane’s midfield includes Neale (pick in the 40s), Berry (picked in the teens, after Gooch...), Zorko (a zone selection), Lyons (who we turfed for 43), Mitch Robinson (freebie) and CEY (free agent, original a pick in the 60s).

Only single digit draftee in their midfield is McCluggage.

Hamish has had a top ten pick in each of the last two drafts, one of them a top 5 pick. Long way to go but both currently look like spuds.

[I’ve been a huge Hamish fan; I’m seriously doubting him now]

Who have we traded in?

Gibson...for pick 90
Stengle...win
Keays...rookie pick...win
Crocker...rookie pick...nothing lost.

There's no one coming here because we don't pay well (board directive) and we had The Camp (Burton/Pyke/Roo)
Dont pay well? We have Cap issues and the worst list in the AFL. Jesus H Christ.

Except Brisbane’s midfield includes Neale (pick in the 40s), Berry (picked in the teens, after Gooch...), Zorko (a zone selection), Lyons (who we turfed for 43), Mitch Robinson (freebie) and CEY (free agent, original a pick in the 60s).

Hamish has had a top ten pick in each of the last two drafts, one of them a top 5 pick. Long way to go but both currently look like spuds.

Fish was pick 6, and like you said, a long was to go to be making assumptions on 195cm KP players

...who signed Jenkins to a 5 year deal we now have to get out of...not that long after he traded the best player in the comp for nothing
What was his alternative in the Danger trade? That was a win win for both clubs.
The alternative would have been for him to walk as a free agent.
The deal was widely applauded at the time by people in and out of the club. It is the curse of free agency where players have all the power nowadays.

Jerka is a another thing entirely? He was toxic and needed to go at the end of last year. The club knew that and the footy world knew that. No-one wanted him except the Cats who haven't even bothered to use him he is that useless.
His 5 year contract deal in 2016 was also a knee jerk reaction to Brisbane's attempted grab (real or not it was still news at the time). It was good PR for the club to retain a key forward when we were clearly in a 5 year premiership window at the time. It nearly worked for us in 2017 after all.

I'm more in the development camp, although I don't think 2018 was a good outcome for Hamish. How much did Binuks Moneyball analysis come in to that I wonder?

Doedee was played in his role from day 1. So was Lever. Kids like Gooch and Chayse and Poholke and even Fog have not been developed in their roles. You yourself have had big wraps on some of those kids in the SANFL, yet we see them tank in the AFL.

I believe this hole we are in is largely reflective of a match committee not willing to make hard decisions on senior players, not willing to play kids in the roles for which they were drafted (and played in the twos) and a fitness regime that puts these kids behind the 8 ball physically.

I do agree that our LMC has seemed to lack a long term plan, but when your CEO tells you "don't leave the room without a deal for Gibbs", what are you supposed to do? I'm not a huge fan of Reid but he has got some good trades done and given the above scenario he clearly is influenced by the executive.

As for Hamish, I reckon he has the runs on the board overall, but could possibly play a straighter bat at the top end of the draft.
I think most of that is pretty fair. What gets in my grill is the holier than though halo which seems to surround Hamish and to a lesser extent Reid.

I’ve never thought Hamish has done a particularly bad job, I’ve certainly never thought he should be replaced. I don’t think he’s the genius people seem to think he is though. Lots of good lower picks and rookie picks - not so great with the higher end picks. It deserves questions- does he need more assistance?

Reid has got some decent deals done, but IMO the Gibbs fiasco taints him. Not just the 2017 period either but the 2016 fiasco where we ballsed the trade. It’s commonly accepted that Fagan carries the blame. I think Reid was too close to the whole thing with Gibbs a long standing client of his. He was conflicted and I would be very surprised if he didn’t have more to do with it than we commonly accept.

As you well know we are very much in agreement over issues of poor development, particularly Gallucci. But carving out Reid and Hamish when analysing the state of the list is counter intuitive.

We’d sure as hell be slapping them on the back if we were top.

Dont pay well? We have Cap issues and the worst list in the AFL. Jesus H Christ.
We don't pay the right players well and we overpay the wrong players.

We pay players who aren't in our top 10 too much, meaning we can only attract B and C grade players because thy are being paid more than market rates.

Seedsman
Hampton
Frampton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was his alternative in the Danger trade? That was a win win for both clubs.
The alternative would have been for him to walk as a free agent.
The deal was widely applauded at the time by people in and out of the club. It is the curse of free agency where players have all the power nowadays.

Jerka is a another thing entirely? He was toxic and needed to go at the end of last year. The club knew that and the footy world knew that. No-one wanted him except the Cats who haven't even bothered to use him he is that useless.
His 5 year contract deal in 2016 was also a knee jerk reaction to Brisbane's attempted grab (real or not it was still news at the time). It was good PR for the club to retain a key forward when we were clearly in a 5 year premiership window at the time. It nearly worked for us in 2017 after all.
What was the alternative in the Lever trade...we managed to get a good return on that one. Why couldn't we do it with the best player in the comp?

People here keep saying Reid did a crap job on the Keath trade, they need to look back at what I would say in our worst trade in history (Dangerfield) and analyse that one.

Every single club can point to some good pick ups in the draft. I along with others could do a phantom where there would a decent strike rate.
The proof of the pudding is in the tasting. how's this year tasting?
Tastes like all the other club's pies.

Is your point that we shouldn't be using top end picks on mids? ;)

We don't pay the right players well and we overpay the wrong players.

We pay players who aren't in our top 10 too much, meaning we can only attract B and C grade players because thy are being paid more than market rates.

Seedsman
Hampton
Frampton
So that would be a list management problem then? One That has led to not only losing quality players and not being able to attract good one?
Glad to see you on board.

Well that's not exactly fair with Neale, you have to factor in what Brisbane paid for him, which was two first round picks.

I think in order to evaluate Reid you need to look at the deals we didn't do as much as the ones we did.

For example with Jenkins the absurd contract we gave him is only half the picture.

What is ignored is the deal Brisbane offered us for him if we let him leave. They offered essentially a straight swap for Rockliff (some pick exchanges down the draft, but nothing major).

We had depth to cover Jenkins loss at the time of the deal, we had issues with his work rate and willingness to play the way the coaches wanted AND we had issues with our midfield at that time.

The deal was a slam dunk yet we turned it down.

Now Rockliff is far from the perfect player but we would have been a better side for every year after that trade than we ended up being with Jenkins. Including this year.

And it's correct.

Is it though?

No mention of the Lever trade, McGovern or the Stocker deals.

Claims our best trade was trading Jenkins and 41 for pick 31 🤣🤣🤣

He's either put in little to no research or has deliberately ignored certain trades to justify giving a F grade.

Yep our trading has been it's been less than ideal, but to deliberately ignore certain trades and claim that trading Jenkins to Geelong for a 10 pick upgrade is our best trade in 10 years is clearly total BS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back