FTA-TV AFL 360 - 2020

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
Certainly not a must watch show anymore. Still has its moments, but has become too self-indulgent, matey and dull.

They need to realise that player and coach interviews are generally pretty boring.

Sometimes less is more. Cutting it back a bit might help and perhaps putting some different faces on Fox Footy during the week (e.g. Huddo).

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
I think the difference between now and is the amount and quality of guests they have on it.

The coaches rotating has been a disaster, when they had the same coaches each week tjey could build repore and comfort/trust with the coaches and could actually get really good insight and opinion on more general topics.Treloar and Riewoldt are pure waffle and add nothing interesting but club PR. At least Lewis/Murphy/Sewell wpuld actually be willing to have an opinion on something when they were players.
At the shows peak (2014-2016) the majority of the show was discussion between Robbo and Whately and it was extensive and interesting.

Now they have so many guests and spend so much effort pandering to them the show has become a PR exercise for whoever happens to be on at the time

BC9_

Yellow & Black ???
Jan 31, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
I tuned in tonight, against my better judgment...

EF95CE26-D5C4-49A6-9BCA-C5B1678F82BF.jpeg

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think the difference between now and is the amount and quality of guests they have on it.

The coaches rotating has been a disaster, when they had the same coaches each week tjey could build repore and comfort/trust with the coaches and could actually get really good insight and opinion on more general topics.Treloar and Riewoldt are pure waffle and add nothing interesting but club PR. At least Lewis/Murphy/Sewell wpuld actually be willing to have an opinion on something when they were players.
At the shows peak (2014-2016) the majority of the show was discussion between Robbo and Whately and it was extensive and interesting.

Now they have so many guests and spend so much effort pandering to them the show has become a PR exercise for whoever happens to be on at the time
Agree with this. They’ve forgotten what made the show good in the first place. As irritating as they can both be at times, the show works because Gerard and Robbo somehow have a great dynamic and are interesting to listen to when they chat footy/have some banter.

BC9_

Yellow & Black ???
Jan 31, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Why were they featuring the undies from Sam Powell-Pepper's infamous Insta pic?

It’s the Rogers label Travis Boak named after his late father who passed recently (Travis was a guest). They also got talking about the Port indigenous guernsey.

Subsequent to all of that, Robbo thought it a good idea to put on the display illustrated above.

It’s the Rogers label Travis Boak named after his late father who passed recently (Travis was a guest). They also got talking about the Port indigenous guernsey.

Subsequent to all of that, Robbo thought it a good idea to put on the display illustrated above.
OK, fair enough, didn't know that it was a brand linked to Boak. Surprised the Port media team didn't make them choose a different colour to display.

PS: that Port guernsey is mint- I really love it!

BC9_

Yellow & Black ???
Jan 31, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
OK, fair enough, didn't know that it was a brand linked to Boak. Surprised the Port media team didn't make them choose a different colour to display.

PS: that Port guernsey is mint- I really love it!

Neither did I! Until I watched, was a nice touch... until old mate Robbo did something only Robbo would :)

Yeah it’s a good one indeed.

I turn off when they aren't either talking about news or reviews/previews of games. Discussions with Riewoldt/Treloar are just so boring.
The interviews with players/coaches have always been terribly boring. 15 minutes of fluff and absolutely no insight.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
The interviews with players/coaches have always been terribly boring. 15 minutes of fluff and absolutely no insight.
Yep, you will get nothing even slightly controversial or insightful.
Will get vanilla answers to mostly vanilla questions.

Last night with Cotchin was a prime example when asked about Tom Lynch's behaviour.
Do you think a fellow team mate will say "Tom's been acting like a dickhead lately and we've had a word with him about it".
Of course not, you get the standard, "Tom plays his best when he's on the edge etc".

You cannot blame the players though, because when someone comes out with an honest answer like Mitch Robinson, they get shut down.

Same applies with the coaches as well.

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
You cannot blame the players though, because when someone comes out with an honest answer like Mitch Robinson, they get shut down.
Absolutely - we should be encouraging the Mitch Robinson's of the world. He's about the only player I tune in to when being interviewed. A bit like when Akermanis played.

Also, I find the most boring weeks of AFL 360 is when they have a themed round to promote, spending half the time holding up jumpers, getting players to talk about how great other players are, etc.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
This show is two middle-aged sports nerds taking it in turns to agree and then disagree, with some dull interviews mixed in.

Gerard is an editor who has forgotten how to report. He carries on like that's still his sensibility but it's a charade. He affects insight but it's mostly hot air.

Robbo is a 50-something round reporter with no technical insight.

Last edited:

The_Hyphen

You can't handle the truth...
Aug 16, 2020
Covid Central
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
lufc
Robbo has resorted to name dropping and yelling, to mask a complete lack of content. Even his commentary articles in the HS jump around like a cricket with its balls on fire. ...there's very little continuity in his writing, or his synapses.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Robbo has resorted to name dropping and yelling, to mask a complete lack of content. Even his commentary articles in the HS jump around like a cricket with its balls on fire. ...there's very little continuity in his writing, or his synapses.
This is the litmus test for Robbo: can you imagine him hosting an equivalent to Open Mike?

He and Mike Sheahan basically have the same background and skill set but Robbo simply doesn't have the finesse or intellect to pull off something similar. And it's not like Sheahan is amazing. But he does have a deft touch as an interviewer and an eye for detail. Robbo is a blunt-force blowhard by comparison.

The_Hyphen

Aug 16, 2020
Covid Central
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
lufc
This is the litmus test for Robbo: can you imagine him hosting an equivalent to Open Mike?

He and Mike Sheahan basically have the same background and skill set but Robbo simply doesn't have the finesse or intellect to pull off something similar. And it's not like Sheahan is amazing. But he does have a deft touch as an interviewer and an eye for detail. Robbo is a blunt-force blowhard by comparison.

Robbo has never grown out of being the chain smoking dirt digging bar-fly reporter who everyone went to to leak a story. As a footy 'social commentator' he is neither in-touch, apprececiates the tactics nor understands the judiciary.

His heart IS in the right place...but his views are those of a buffoon.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Am I the only one?

Why must Gerard say "Ehrm" instead of "um" like everybody else does?
Its aboslutely infuruating, and I cant watch 360 or listen to him on the radio anymore because of it.

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Agree with this. They’ve forgotten what made the show good in the first place. As irritating as they can both be at times, the show works because Gerard and Robbo somehow have a great dynamic and are interesting to listen to when they chat footy/have some banter.

If the show reverted back to that format, do you think people would praise the change, or would just find other things to bitch about?

Somehow I expect we'd see more of the latter than the former.

The_Hyphen

Aug 16, 2020
Covid Central
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
lufc

No, just...No. There is nothing 'great' in Whately hypothesising endlessly about the way something should go down....and Robbo shrieking over the top dropping endlessnames of people he talked to, two years ago.

Its appalling to listen to...and is simply ego-driven.

JezzasOnTheAsphalt

Club Legend
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Anyone who tuned in with the popcorn for fireworks between Buckley and Robbo probably would have been disappointed at how civil the discussion was tonight.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep, you will get nothing even slightly controversial or insightful.
Will get vanilla answers to mostly vanilla questions.

Last night with Cotchin was a prime example when asked about Tom Lynch's behaviour.
Do you think a fellow team mate will say "Tom's been acting like a dickhead lately and we've had a word with him about it".
Of course not, you get the standard, "Tom plays his best when he's on the edge etc".

Same applies with the coaches as well.
It's one of the great misnomers about "access" being valuable for its own sake.

Yeah the broadcasters want to talk to players and think that "access" is what people want. But if the players don't say anything interesting, who cares? The "access" on its own isn't as big a deal as they think.

Back