Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Just not a fan of Rossy mate I don’t think he’s any good! Not that my opinion matters to dimma

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Has been a lot worse since the foot injury.

Personally I think the instruction to slim down has hurt him a lot. Needs to put weight back on and just be a proper extractor.

You realise he is still 19? Easily gets another year or two after 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has been a lot worse since the foot injury.

Personally I think the instruction to slim down has hurt him a lot. Needs to put weight back on and just be a proper extractor.

You realise he is still 19? Easily gets another year or two after 2020.
Killed it before his injury said it before the worst thing we did was made him lose weight and tried to make him a flanker, hope he goes back to his proper playing weight

Are we confident this young fella will re sign , sounds like oppo fans would love to have him ,, has intrigued me for a while that he didn’t extend which is generally obligatory at some point in year one
I get the impression the club is still undecided on him. Could go either way at this stage realistically.

He was pick #20 who "slipped", I dont understand whats happened here? How can he not be progressing to getting a game?
From memory he was never really knocking it out the park even in the juniors, just had all the tools to. Hence why he slipped. Worth the risk at pick 20 though given the upside. May fall to how deep the AFL makes us cut and whether there's room for "project players" on the list.

From memory he was never really knocking it out the park even in the juniors, just had all the tools to. Hence why he slipped. Worth the risk at pick 20 though given the upside. May fall to how deep the AFL makes us cut and whether there's room for "project players" on the list.

I will never feel comfortable with selecting a 'project player' as high as 20. I know everyone is a 'project player' in some way unless you're a pick one, but 20 is too much of a stretch. And I must admit after having lived through 'slow burn' Corey Ellis, I am quickly losing confidence here. Fact is of all the deficiencies that a junior player can have that you can address, being a low possession player is probably the hardest to rectify. If you just can't get the thing it doesn't matter how good your tools are.

He was pick #20 who "slipped", I dont understand whats happened here? How can he not be progressing to getting a game?

Don't think he slipped at all. There were question marks on the selection at draft time. He was a player who couldn't consistently find the ball at junior level.

That normally doesn't translate well to AFL. 2 years in and it's still the same issue.

his last VFL game in the GF showed me he has the tools, he'd be playing reg senior footy in lesser teams . Look at form of reputed Juniors in Cerra and Lucoshious until now , it was nothing flash , no escaping from that. so dont mark this kid too early.
His bread and butter in juniors (going off his highlights reels) was being able to stand up in tackles and free his hands for the outlet handball. Very good at doing this at junior level but as you see in the VFL and match practice training videos he hasn't yet developed physically enough to do this amongst men.
His raw abilities are exactly what you want to see from a developing Bont/Cripps styled big-bodied mid. It's up to whether he's willing to put the work in to build the tank so he can impact longer and get to more contests (higher disposals.)

I will never feel comfortable with selecting a 'project player' as high as 20. I know everyone is a 'project player' in some way unless you're a pick one, but 20 is too much of a stretch. And I must admit after having lived through 'slow burn' Corey Ellis, I am quickly losing confidence here. Fact is of all the deficiencies that a junior player can have that you can address, being a low possession player is probably the hardest to rectify. If you just can't get the thing it doesn't matter how good your tools are.
Reckon being slow is the biggest deficiency, and Ellis was so slow. You can't judge every developing player on someone like Ellis. 2 weeks ago Markov was out the door, given a second chance and now he is doing well. Stack is the lucky he had a good year last year because he would be the next in line if we didn't know better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back