Do we have a public holiday in Victoria before the grandfinal?

Remove this Banner Ad

The public holidays are set, they don't change. If the Melbourne Cup is cancelled Cup Day is still a holiday. If someone disproves the existence of Jesus we will still get Easter and Christmas.
Thank * I need a holiday haha

AFL is my religion and the grand final holiday is the most holy day on the calendar for me. I can accept masks, lockdowns, being confined to 5km from home, and Dan's daily press conferences, but I'll crack if you disrespect my faith by taking my holy day from me.

is it before original GF date or whenever it is played? my understanding was original date

(Log in to remove this ad.)

er ro... igh..t the holiday we need to have.. it'll probably rain and hail and snow.. so we won't get too many people there..

being positive is not an option..

With the grand final on the move to either Brissy or Perth will Victorians still get the public holiday on Friday the 25th of September normally for the parade?
Thank fu** I need a holiday haha
is it before original GF date or whenever it is played? my understanding was original date
The public holiday will be the 23rd october now.
This was announced back in May. The holiday shifts pending when the grand final will take place.

The legislation does not specify a date. Instead it is recognised on the Friday before the AFL Grand Final. Therefore whenever in October the GF is set, the holiday will be observed on the Friday before.

The Vic Govt confirmed yesterday the GF public holiday will be moved to 23 October.

I'm not sure how completely this has been thought through, but the public holiday has been moved to October 23.

Lockdown ends on October 26 (yes I know that is the earliest possible date, but still). Cup weekend is the following weekend.

So, we get a long weekend but can't go anywhere, or do anything. Then the following weekend, when we could go away, we hvae to work on the Monday.

There's just so much stupidity here:
- Cup Day being a public holiday on a Tuesday is stupid (yes, I know the race is on Tuesday, but neither the race nor the public holiday HAVE to be on a Tuesday)
- We haven't had a public holiday since June. The September public holiday, as silly as Grand Final Day is as a reason, actually fills a pretty necessary gap in terms of giving people a break. Even more sensible this year, given lots of people haven't had a holiday, and the added stresses faced. So of course, we're removing that break...
- And shifting it to a week before the next public holiday, for some reason...
- And running it to align with the last weekend of lockdown, for some reason...
- instead of converting the following weekend, when travel will be allowed, to a 4-day weekend, thus providing everyone with the de-stress, travel, party opportunity they so desperately need

Utter madness!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back