footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I see no one has submitted any teams - so much for all those ideas about a team full of facial hair! I'm easing myself back into BF, so I'll see what I can come up with in the next day or two, got a few other ideas for team themes, will see how I go.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
I was contemplating making a best-of team that had played in wooden spoon years. We have collected only four wooden spoons, which isn’t too bad for nearly 100 years of competition. They have been spaced out quite evenly, in 1959, 1967, 1982 and 2003, thus meaning 3 or 4 different generations of players have played in one. When I tried making a best-of wooden spoon team, I began noticing that most of our elite and champion players had experienced a wooden spoon, so I decided to turn it around and make a best-of team (18 players) who has never experienced a wooden spoon. I have included some modern players and to make it easier for myself I set a limit of at least 100 games.

Marcus Bontempelli
Peter Box
Jack Collins
Adam Cooney
Allan Hopkins
Jason Johannissen
Tom Liberatore
Tony Liberatore
Dale Morris
Alby Morrison
Arthur Olliver
Liam Picken
Bernie Quinlan
Brian Royal
Charlie Sutton
Steve Wallis
Norm Ware
Scott Wynd

I see no one has submitted any teams - so much for all those ideas about a team full of facial hair! I'm easing myself back into BF, so I'll see what I can come up with in the next day or two, got a few other ideas for team themes, will see how I go.

Does this help ?

1598954700764.png
1598954717427.png
1598954730664.png

1598954745066.png
1598954756351.png
1598954768864.png
Can't find him in Dogs' gear

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
During yesterday's game versus Hawthorn I noticed Luke Beveridge making notes, writing left-handed. It made me think about a Bulldogs team consisting of lefties. As I started thinking of names, I realised I would need to be extremely knowledgeable about players to know whether they are righties or lefties.

So apart from Bevo, I have been able to discover that Alby Morrison, who once held our record for most games and most goals, was a left-footer. So was Ron Grove who played 82 games for us during the 1940s and once kicked 10 goals in a game.
George Tribe, who played 66 games during the 1940s before becoming a cricketer who played 3 Tests under Bradman's captaincy, was also a mollydooker.
John Georgiades, who debuted with 8 goals in 1989 was also a left-footer.
More recently, I'm pretty sure Bont is a left-footer, and so is Tom Liberatore. Tom being left-handed makes me think that Tony was also left-handed. (I think).
Also, Jack Macrae would have to be a natural left-hander because he kicked that set-shot goal in the prelim with his left foot. Why else would you take such an important kick for goal with your left foot unless you were a natural leftie?

So that's Bevo, Morrison, Grove, Tribe, Georgiades, two Libbas, the Bont and Macrae for starters. But that's only 9 players. Does anybody have any knowledge about our left-handed players to add?

During yesterday's game versus Hawthorn I noticed Luke Beveridge making notes, writing left-handed. It made me think about a Bulldogs team consisting of lefties. As I started thinking of names, I realised I would need to be extremely knowledgeable about players to know whether they are righties or lefties.

So apart from Bevo, I have been able to discover that Alby Morrison, who once held our record for most games and most goals, was a left-footer. So was Ron Grove who played 82 games for us during the 1940s and once kicked 10 goals in a game.
George Tribe, who played 66 games during the 1940s before becoming a cricketer who played 3 Tests under Bradman's captaincy, was also a mollydooker.
John Georgiades, who debuted with 8 goals in 1989 was also a left-footer.
More recently, I'm pretty sure Bont is a left-footer, and so is Tom Liberatore. Tom being left-handed makes me think that Tony was also left-handed. (I think).
Also, Jack Macrae would have to be a natural left-hander because he kicked that set-shot goal in the prelim with his left foot. Why else would you take such an important kick for goal with your left foot unless you were a natural leftie?

So that's Bevo, Morrison, Grove, Tribe, Georgiades, two Libbas, the Bont and Macrae for starters. But that's only 9 players. Does anybody have any knowledge about our left-handed players to add?
Minor point but I think Libba is left footed and right handed. Came up in the Chalkboard Challenge.

Carry on ...

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
2010-2020 Team of the Decade

50 games minimum (between 2010-2020)

FB: M.Boyd, Lake, Wood
HB: Murphy, Morris, Daniel
C: JJ, Bont, Hunter
HF: Picken, Naughton, Higgins
FF: Dickson, Stringer, Gia
R: Minson, Griffen, Macrae
Int: Liberatore, Roughead, Dahlhaus, Dunkley

Tried to pick team with a structure you would normally go with as well as automatically including major awards.
(AA team and squad, BnFs and Norm Smith)

Back