VFL Our VFL team - whats the future?

Remove this Banner Ad

No VFL would damage Victorians aiming for the AFL. There's has to be a senior amateur comp for these guys to play in.
if there's an Eastern reserves AFL league, they could join afl reserves lists maybe.

All depends on the direction of second tier comps but yeah would not be surprised if vfl and neafl died after both being cancelled this year

if there's an Eastern reserves AFL league, they could join afl reserves lists maybe.

All depends on the direction of second tier comps but yeah would not be surprised if vfl and neafl died after both being cancelled this year
I would be looking at shrinking it maybe, but still have it as a top tier comp.

Apologies Anvil,
Tried looking back over Tassie threads and couldn’t find any reference, can you please tell me how the Tassie Government turned their backs on us?
Have they pulled $$$ based on us not playing games there this year?
Or the fact they locked us out from playing games there?
Genuine question here.

One would assume $$$ are pulled based on the desperation of the Roos and Hawks to get there and play their games.

Also with the AFL moving our home games to the end of the season means they were giving us every chance to get there also.

Locking us out due to health is fair enough but reneging on $$$ due to their own decision would be poor.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

How much does Gil get paid? What about Brad Scott? Surely that could help fund the comp.

Money has got nothing to do with whether football can be played in Victoria in 2021. If we are still where we are today and our AFL team is playing out of QLD, there won't be a VFL comp or a reserves competition regardless of Gil's pay packet.

I get that impression.

History and tradition is a big part of the game but I don't think Gil gets that. It's his job to look after the entire heritage of footy not just the AFL.

It's a bit of a stretch to refer to the current VFL competition as "history and tradition" in my opinion. It is a bastardization of the VFA and the Reserves.

Vic clubs given three options for 2021 reserves season with interstate teams in the mix
Jaidyn Stephenson in action during a Collingwood VFL practice match. Photo: Tim Carrafa
Jaidyn Stephenson in action during a Collingwood VFL practice match. Photo: Tim Carrafa

AFL clubs have multiple options for 2021.

And the reserves competition for next season could include all four eastern teams.

OPTIONS APLENTY FOR 2021 RESERVES TEAMS

AFL teams are set to have three options as to how to field reserves teams in 2021.

According to Nine, the options for Victorian clubs include fielding their own side, aligning with a current VFL side or playing listed players across multiple VFL sides.

The 2021 competition is set to potentially involve Sydney, GWS, Gold Coast and Brisbane, with a number of Victorian teams set to explore continuing their own side in the reserves competition.

It could also allow for continued alignments such as Melbourne and Casey to return. Sandringham and St Kilda as well as Box Hill and Hawthorn are examples of other clubs with strong links.

Splitting players across multiple VFL teams isn’t uncommon, with North Melbourne most recently splitting players between Werribee and North Ballarat.

However, a major buffer may be the reduction in the soft cap, with some clubs believing they will struggle to field a reserves team with just $6.2 million.

Currently, all 18 AFL clubs are playing scratch matches against other teams, with some teams combining players to put enough players on the park.

Vic clubs given three options for 2021 reserves season with interstate teams in the mix

AFL clubs have multiple options for 2021.

And the reserves competition for next season could include all four eastern teams.

OPTIONS APLENTY FOR 2021 RESERVES TEAMS

AFL teams are set to have three options as to how to field reserves teams in 2021.

According to Nine, the options for Victorian clubs include fielding their own side, aligning with a current VFL side or playing listed players across multiple VFL sides.

The 2021 competition is set to potentially involve Sydney, GWS, Gold Coast and Brisbane, with a number of Victorian teams set to explore continuing their own side in the reserves competition.

It could also allow for continued alignments such as Melbourne and Casey to return. Sandringham and St Kilda as well as Box Hill and Hawthorn are examples of other clubs with strong links.

Splitting players across multiple VFL teams isn’t uncommon, with North Melbourne most recently splitting players between Werribee and North Ballarat.

However, a major buffer may be the reduction in the soft cap, with some clubs believing they will struggle to field a reserves team with just $6.2 million.

Currently, all 18 AFL clubs are playing scratch matches against other teams, with some teams combining players to put enough players on the park.

This is going to end in a ******* disaster.

Anyone still think the AFLW was worth having no reserves side or our seconds players and developing kids spread across the comp again? Possibly in an even worse alignment than the NB & Werr one? i.e no alignment.....

Jesus, we may end up being the filler side for the non-alignment sides.

This is going to end in a ******* disaster.

Anyone still think the AFLW was worth having no reserves side or our seconds players and developing kids spread across the comp again? Possibly in an even worse alignment than the NB & Werr one? i.e no alignment.....

Jesus, we may end up being the filler side for the non-alignment sides.

Hear, hear, the voice of sober reason speaks!

It's a legitimate question.

Not one person can show any evidence of the AFLW side being profitable. There is absolutely no way that it is given it is a national compeitition with no revenue other than an AFL handout for the salary cap and sponsorship. There's no gate revenue, TV revenue and memberships are marginal. Yet it has a full backroom admin and membership staff, coaching staff, recruiting staff, medical staff, not to mention a full playing list.

It may have huge potential growth, but we are simply not ready to have an AFLW side if we can not afford a VFL mens side and our players are playing for multiple non-professional football sides every weekend.

Dont worry, I'll be asking for the breakdown of the AFLW P&L's in this years AGM question time (The club conveniently don't separate the AFLW and AFL running costs and revenue currently in the annual financial report).

Not one person can show any evidence of the AFLW side being profitable. There is absolutely no way that it is.

It may have huge potential growth, but we are simply not ready to have an AFLW side if we can not afford a VFL mens side.

Dont worry, I'll be asking for the breakdown of the AFLW P&L's in this years AGM question time (The club conveniently don't separate the AFLW and AFL running costs and revenue currently in the annual financial report).

Go for it. Get angry.

Go for it. Get angry.

Are you happy with 15 years of growth going down drain in 4 months?

Like I said months ago in here, Covid is a ****ed situation, however the members could of rallied behind the VFL side and saved it if we were just given the chance to fight for it.

I understand the re-development was for ALL of the teams, however the vast majority of us donated so we could go down and watch the VFL at Arden St on a weekend.

How the * are we even in this situation? Brisbane will be fielding a side competing in this semi-national reserves comp and they are in 20m+ in debt and get the second largest AFL distribution in the comp.........

The AFL distribution difference between us and St Kilda as an example is easily enough to afford this.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not one person can show any evidence of the AFLW side being profitable. There is absolutely no way that it is given it is a national compeitition with no revenue other than an AFL handout for the salary cap and sponsorship. There's no gate revenue, TV revenue and memberships are marginal. Yet it has a full backroom admin and membership staff, coaching staff, recruiting staff, medical staff, not to mention a full playing list.

It may have huge potential growth, but we are simply not ready to have an AFLW side if we can not afford a VFL mens side and our players are playing for multiple non-professional football sides every weekend.

Prepare to have your character assassinated for even raising the question, with proclamations of misogyny quickly following.

The members need to gain back control of the club.

I brought up the point that the AFLW was a political indulgence and a potentially dangerous future drain upon the precious few resources of this club when it first reared it's head, and was roundly labelled a hater of women by the parasitical political elements who have clamped on to this club like barnacles, in order to appease their non football ambitions.

We have usurpers in the ranks.

Last edited:

Be interesting if tassie pay any money towards the women’s team.

Prepare to have your character assassinated for even raising the question, with proclamations of misogyny quickly following.

The members need to gain back control of the club.

FWIW i think the 2s should be kept if its a choice between the 2. But ive seen no evidence that is the case.

And you certainly don’t speak on behalf of members, thank *. Don’t for a second pretend you do.

They do and they have some great sponsorship deals (apparently).

However, I've seen nothing concrete to show the side is profitable. I think that is intentional from the club, because of these very situations when it potentially compromises the AFL mens side in a decision.

If they are financially so great, I'm sure the club would be the first to preach from the highest bell tower on it's profitability at the AGM.

Everything I've heard from people who work at the AFL is the AFLW will be a complete money pit for at least the next decade.

FWIW i think the 2s should be kept if its a choice between the 2. But ive seen no evidence that is the case.

And you certainly don’t speak on behalf of members, thank fu**. Don’t for a second pretend you do.

I speak on behalf of myself (check the sig).

The board has taken it upon itself to speak on behalf of the members...............and to appoint WHOEVER THE * THEY CHOOSE TO DO SO!

It's be nice to hear something from the club about what we might be looking at for next year. I know there's uncertainty around how the "reserves" comp will look, but surely there's been discussion of some sort at HQ and the clubs.

With the make up of our list and the youth we'll be bringing in over the next 2-3 years, this is of the utmost importance.

Why shouldn't they, it's their team after all?

Pack up the whole thing tomorrow and ship it across Bass Strait, then REINSTATE the NMFC VFL team.

It's time to rid ourselves of these absurd indulgences. The decision making down at Arden Street at the moment is ******* deplorable.

And you certainly don’t speak on behalf of members, thank fu**. Don’t for a second pretend you do.

Head in the sand stuff.

We've stood down all match day related admin at the club.

Cut line coaches for the mens side and made the entire VFL operation redundant.

The AFLW side remains unchanged.

Until someone can prove to me the AFLW side is profitable, I'm going to assume the club have chosen the AFLW side over the AFL mens side in regards to allocating revenue next year.

I will be happily proven wrong, however this uncertainty with the members is their own doing with regards to their shady financial reporting on it.

Last edited:
Head in the sand stuff.

We've stood down all match day related admin at the club.

Cut line coaches for the mens side and made the entire VFL operation redundant.

The AFLW side remains unchanged.

Until someone can prove to me the AFLW side is profitable, I'm going to assume the club have chosen the AFLW side over the AFL mens side in regarding to allocating revenue next year.

I will be happily proven wrong, however this uncertainty with the members is their own doing with regarding to their shady financial reporting on it.

The members ultimately only have themselves to blame for handing over complete power to the board.

Human nature tells us that it would be inevitably corrupted. We have devious elements on the NMFC board at the moment. Otherwise, why all the accounting tricks, and decision making going on in the shadows? We are manipulated for our money and then patted on the head like children when it comes to the big picture decisions.

An actual NMFC Reserves side is a must.

It gives us a cohesive pathway to achieve success in the most important aspect for the club....a Senior team premiership.

The flow on effects in terms of supporter growth, financial growth and long term sustainability is a complete no brainer as far as that is concerned.

A fractured Reserves would be a huge step backwards in achieving that goal & if it comes down to an either or with an AFLW side, then it's a no contest afaic.

An actual NMFC Reserves side is a must.

It gives us a cohesive pathway to achieve success in the most important aspect for the club....a Senior team premiership.

The flow on effects in terms of supporter growth, financial growth and long term sustainability is a complete no brainer as far as that is concerned.

A fractured Reserves would be a huge step backwards in achieving that goal & if it comes down to an either or with an AFLW side, then it's a no contest afaic.

Why wasn't there memberships for the VFL team? I'd actually purchase one of those.

Why wasn't there memberships for the VFL team? I'd actually purchase one of those.
Fair question.

If it was available I'd happily tip in extra if it meant helping to keep us in the main game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back