Opinion Bailey Williams is better than number 1 pick - Andrew Mcgrath

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm very happy with Bailey's progression and he has become an important player to our side. But to suggest he is better than McGrath is ludicrous. McGrath would be leading Essendon's B&F.

I'm very happy with Bailey's progression and he has become an important player to our side. But to suggest he is better than McGrath is ludicrous. McGrath would be leading Essendon's B&F.

As midfielders go throughout the league McGrath is a mile down the list.
Give me Williams every day of the week.

previous B&F winners at Essendon

Zach Merrett (2019)
Devon Smith (2018)
Joe Daniher (2017)
Zach Merrett (2016)
Cale Hooker (2015)
Dyson Heppell (2014)
Brendon Goddard (2013)
Jobe Watson (2012, 2010, 2009)
David Zaharakis (2011)

Then that's a shocking indictment on Essendon then because he really isn't very good.

No way would I trade Williams for McGrath.

McGrath isn't miles down the list. Kid's an absolute gem.

you need to read the Bomber board more often , most see him a good average footballer , don’t think I have seen anyone describe him as a jet , not until I read your post !

Just curious where you see him In the pecking order ?

By the way , beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I have always thought and actually said, they didn't nail that pick 1. I see nothing great in him.

He’s a good player but that’s it. I would certainly not put him in the very good player category, let alone excellent/elite. He’s actually reasonably vanilla but solid (if that makes sense), and there is no way I would take him before Bailey (who in my opinion has a much higher ceiling).

He’s a good player but that’s it. I would certainly not put him in the very good player category, let alone excellent/elite. He’s actually reasonably vanilla but solid (if that makes sense), and there is no way I would take him before Bailey (who in my opinion has a much higher ceiling).
I read this as you referring to Bailey for the first section, had me fuming haha

you need to read the Bomber board more often , most see him a good average footballer , don’t think I have seen anyone describe him as a jet , not until I read your post !

Just curious where you see him In the pecking order ?

By the way , beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
He has come on this year. I have a mate who follows Essendon who was McGrath's biggest critic last season. He reckons McGrath must have started getting out of the opposite side of the bed cause he can't find any other reason to explain his turnaround in form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGrath is the most meh mediocre top draft pick in a while. Since Jack Watts ? He’s neither awful or good just nothing amazing, clean tidy but with average kicking ability. If Williams was a mid he’d go ok.

Most of that list is fine. Struggling to see why Hannan (who still hasn’t returned to 2018 form) and Laverde (always been pretty average) are up there. Even with Battle who I think has had a good year, but not dramatically better than last year.

I imagine if their was an award for Most Improved like in the NBA (which there should be) that Petracca would win in a landslide. This is the player he looked like he’d become when he started his career, but by last year it really looked like his career had stalled and he wouldn’t turn into anything much. Bailey would get some votes.

Williams’ aerial ability is what sets him apart from other rebounding defenders. His ball use and decision making are fantastic, but throw in his marking ability and I see him as and elite medium defender

Last edited:
After Suckling I think he’s the cleanest kicker of the footy at the Dogs. Proper pointed toe ensuring he gets the most out of every kick. Lovely technique.

Still gets outbodied now and again which I’m sure will improve as he gets older and wiser.

It’ll be interesting to see where his career goes. I’ll proudly say I was a big admirer of his since Day 1.

After Suckling I think he’s the cleanest kicker of the footy at the Dogs. Proper pointed toe ensuring he gets the most out of every kick. Lovely technique.

Still gets outbodied now and again which I’m sure will improve as he gets older and wiser.

It’ll be interesting to see where his career goes. I’ll proudly say I was a big admirer of his since Day 1.
His kicking is a lot more consistent than Suckling’s and has a lot more tricks.

I remember watching Horse absolutely dominating for Footscray a few years back and wishing he could play like that at AFL. He would set up on half back and the ball would never get past him. He would just intercept everything and launch us into attack. Whenever he would step up to the seniors he would look intimidated and go into his shell. This year he has a lot more confidence in himself and feels like he belongs at the level and now we are seeing him dominating like he used to for Footscray.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back