Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

This is great

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

That was hilarious. I loved the intro " the unthinkable has happened - the hope of victoria has lost to the Eagles".

I also love how they mentioned that the GF has returned to its traditional home the MCG (was played at Waverley in 1991). Just another reminder that GF can move if it has to.

Then there was the ticketing * up with the AFL members (has AFL always been incompetent?).

That was hilarious. I loved the intro " the unthinkable has happened - the hope of victoria has lost to the Eagles".

I also love how they mentioned that the GF has returned to its traditional home the MCG (was played at Waverley in 1991). Just another reminder that GF can move if it has to.

Then there was the ticketing fu** up with the AFL members (has AFL always been incompetent?).
I went to the 1992 Grand Final with a friend who was an AFL member. We turned up early and we got into the Stand but there were no seats available. Those of us that managed to get in were sent to the old MCC members stand. They were in the “nose bleeds” section but I was grateful to be there. Apparently the AFL didn’t think anyone would be interested in watching an interstate team play in the GF and presold tickets.

Last edited:
I went to the 1992 Grand Final with a friend who was an AFL member. We turned up early and we got into the Stand but there were no seats available. Those of us that managed to get in were sent to the old MCC members stand. They were in the “nose bleeds” section but I was grateful to be there. Apparently the AFL didn’t think anyone would be interested in watching an interstate team play in the GF and presold tickets.
The old 'waste of a Grand Final berth' has been going for nearly 3 decades, eh? lol

‘The Geelong players were given a heroes’ welcome!’

One lady: ‘Onya Gary’

It was a simpler time.
I had a good laugh at that. Most of the crowd looked like Eagles supporters in that shot.

It was fascinating to see the players walking into the G past the crowd as well.

Ryan Daniels
@FootyRhino

WA Premier Mark McGowan on the
@AFL
Grand Final. Says he has advised the AFL in person that Optus should host it - if they meet health guidelines. "Queensland have teams of people working on it, we haven't acted like that. We've played hard to get".
It is so clear that it is going to be in QLD and McGowan is going to say "oh well, we tried but we weren't going to be all desperate like them"

Ryan Daniels
@FootyRhino

WA Premier Mark McGowan on the
@AFL
Grand Final. Says he has advised the AFL in person that Optus should host it - if they meet health guidelines. "Queensland have teams of people working on it, we haven't acted like that. We've played hard to get".
I feel like McGowan (being a cockburner) is being paid off by freo to block west coast having an unfair advantage in the GF

The Footyology is a good podcast, second only to Big Footy of course. One of the very few that is based in the east but can talk as intelligently about WC as it can about Richmond.

Rohan Connolly talking at length on this ep why the Grand Final should be hosted by whomever finishes higher on the ladder (every year, not just this year). He’s a good egg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was listening to SEN yesterday and people were phoning in to say how many GFs, Melbourne Cups, Boxing Day tests etc they have been to consecutively. Heaps were saying 30 or 40 GFs in a row etc... Listening to their delight at how many games they have attended it was apparent there is no way the Vice will ever give up the GF...

This year was our only chance to host it in the next 50 years...

He threw his hat into the ring knowing full well we'd never get it because of 2 week quarantine. It was done to appeal to those who'd cruicify him for not attempting. Threw a few anti Vic / AFL barbs here and there too to appeal to the large population who have disdain for the east. A master stroke. He comes across as a smug prick but he knows how to play politics beautifully.

The Footyology is a good podcast, second only to Big Footy of course. One of the very few that is based in the east but can talk as intelligently about WC as it can about Richmond.

Rohan Connolly talking at length on this ep why the Grand Final should be hosted by whomever finishes higher on the ladder (every year, not just this year). He’s a good egg.

Agree with this. They do a good job. He also posts over on the 4th estate board.

He threw his hat into the ring knowing full well we'd never get it because of 2 week quarantine. It was done to appeal to those who'd cruicify him for not attempting. Threw a few anti Vic / AFL barbs here and there too to appeal to the large population who have disdain for the east. A master stroke. He comes across as a smug prick but he knows how to play politics beautifully.

How can you be so negative, even about WA being covid free?!

I was listening to SEN yesterday and people were phoning in to say how many GFs, Melbourne Cups, Boxing Day tests etc they have been to consecutively. Heaps were saying 30 or 40 GFs in a row etc... Listening to their delight at how many games they have attended it was apparent there is no way the Vice will ever give up the GF...

It would take a huge change in mindset from head office to change from 'Most attendees on the day' to 'Most individuals able to experience at least one during their lifetime'.

Imagine a club-by-club survey (across current and past members, or even general footy fans) with theses types of questions:
  • How many Grand Finals have you attended involving the team you primarily support?
  • How many Grand Finals have you attended involving teams you don't primarily support?
  • What is the average total outlay required to attend the games (ticket, travel, accommodation, etc)?

The old 'waste of a Grand Final berth' has been going for nearly 3 decades, eh? lol
Did a tour of mcg a couple of days before 2018 grandfinal - the tour guide said they expected less members because an interstate team was playing.

Of course it ended up being a record crowd.

if the highest ranking team hosts the GF wpuld we have more or less flags?

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
1991 maybe. Hawks had beaten us in WA in finals already that year. I still think we'd have lost whether in Perth or Melbourne. LOSE
1992 we beat the cats at the ground the game would have been played at. WIN
1994 the cats wouldn't have come close regardless of where the game was played. WIN
2005 the swans ran us close in the QF and arguably should have won. I think we'd have won in Perth by the skin of our teeth. WIN
2006 who hosts? Sydney who beat us in the QF or us who finished minor premier? WIN in Perth. LOSE in Sydney.
2015 we'd have done them in, perhaps as clinically as in the QF. It would have been their third Perth trip in four weeks. WIN
2018 IIRC is was windy with a bit of rain had the GF been played in Perth but we still would have won in Perth. WIN

We'd be on five or six flags if the higher placed team hosted the GF imo.

The fact the same ppl can attend the GF for 30 years straight is perhaps the greatest testament as to why it should move around..

For the record I think the AFL should move the GF to the highest teams home IF/WHEN that team has access to at least a 75k stadium.
We had our chance to build bigger than 60k and for whatever reason we capped it and limited our ability to raise a louder protest to the MCG GF deal.

The AFL should put it out there that if for whoever is willing to put the $$$s in for a larger capacity stadium (albeit still smaller than the MCG), their home team can host the GF should they make it as the higher placed seed. I think 75k is a good minimum.

I mean do we really want to see a GF played at Metricon or Spotless? Or even GMBHMDMA ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back