Injury/Rehab Injury/Niggle Management - w/ cptkirk

Remove this Banner Ad

train your hamstrings in the gym, focussing on controlling the eccentric portion of each rep.
presuming it’s the proximal tendon begin with prone/lying hamstring curls and hip bridges/thrusters as they’ll be less likely to irritate the tendon.
3-4 sets of 8-12 reps with a 3-4 second eccentric.

ive been doing this most nights a week and working well. running is going well now, thanks heaps mate

AngryRanga

Yo Yeah
Sep 6, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Toby Greene, Man City, Timberwolves
Anyone have tips for managing inflamed peroneal tendons from running. Been constant for about six months. First time around I ran through pain and really ****ed it. Worked with a physio to strengthen my legs and had a month off, so now I'm constantly massaging, stretching and buying new running shoes.

It keeps getting irritated, on both legs now. Have to fully warm-up before I can do anything vaguely plyometric. Very ginger when I start running.

Had a look online and gonna buy a pair of running shoes with a higher arch, see if that does anything.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Anyone have tips for managing inflamed peroneal tendons from running. Been constant for about six months. First time around I ran through pain and really f’ed it. Worked with a physio to strengthen my legs and had a month off, so now I'm constantly massaging, stretching and buying new running shoes.

It keeps getting irritated, on both legs now. Have to fully warm-up before I can do anything vaguely plyometric. Very ginger when I start running.

Had a look online and gonna buy a pair of running shoes with a higher arch, see if that does anything.

What was the diagnose of peroneal tendinitis based on?
That's so uncommon to the point I've never heard of someone having it before (and this extends to textbooks, case studies etc).

Have chronic exertional compartment syndrome and common peroneal nerve pathology been ruled out?

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Anybody have any good stretches for releasing the hips?

Had a knee reco (ACL, hamstring graft) nearly 18 months ago and I seem to be tilting my torso forward when walking, running, etc. Hips just click constantly these days, so I presume it's from there?

AngryRanga

Yo Yeah
Sep 6, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
What was the diagnose of peroneal tendinitis based on?
That's so uncommon to the point I've never heard of someone having it before (and this extends to textbooks, case studies etc).

Have chronic exertional compartment syndrome and common peroneal nerve pathology been ruled out?
Location and it being an overuse injury, I guess? Everything I did with the physio worked, so it didn't really matter to me (its been a few months now). The other thing discussed was it potentially being a stress fracture.

From the tone of your message, I assume you'd recommend getting a different opinion?

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Location and it being an overuse injury, I guess? Everything I did with the physio worked, so it didn't really matter to me (its been a few months now). The other thing discussed was it potentially being a stress fracture.

From the tone of your message, I assume you'd recommend getting a different opinion?

Given it's returned and now affecting both legs it might be worth it.
Even if it's just for some different management options rather than a new/different diagnosis.

Is the pain in your foot or your leg?

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Anybody have any good stretches for releasing the hips?

Had a knee reco (ACL, hamstring graft) nearly 18 months ago and I seem to be tilting my torso forward when walking, running, etc. Hips just click constantly these days, so I presume it's from there?

Sounds like a symptom of hamstring/hip extension weakness* tbh.
The same reason old people lean forwards heaps when they walk - legs aren't strong enough to propel them so they put the weight of their torso forwards of their centre of gravity and effectively catch themselves falling rather than walking par se.
If the clicking feels superficial on the outside it'll be glute tendon, superficial on the inside psoas tendon, deep more likely to be labral or just joint cavitation.

*weakness is a bit of an ugly term here - could be that they're strong enough but they're not being utilised as well as they could be

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sounds like a symptom of hamstring/hip extension weakness* tbh.
The same reason old people lean forwards heaps when they walk - legs aren't strong enough to propel them so they put the weight of their torso forwards of their centre of gravity and effectively catch themselves falling rather than walking par se.
If the clicking feels superficial on the outside it'll be glute tendon, superficial on the inside psoas tendon, deep more likely to be labral or just joint cavitation.

*weakness is a bit of an ugly term here - could be that they're strong enough but they're not being utilised as well as they could be

Thanks mate - hamstrings does make sense. I've always been week there compared to my quads, even more so since the graft was taken from them.

I'm pretty aware of what I should be doing in terms of hamstrings, but have you got any exercises that might help with hip extension? (Hamstring suggestions also welcome)

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Thanks mate - hamstrings does make sense. I've always been week there compared to my quads, even more so since the graft was taken from them.

I'm pretty aware of what I should be doing in terms of hamstrings, but have you got any exercises that might help with hip extension? (Hamstring suggestions also welcome)

The hamstrings are hip extensors so any hamstrings exercises you're doing currently should help.
Otherwise my recommendation would be to trial a few single leg exercises and see which ones you're weakest on the side you had the reco on.
That'll give you the best indication of what muscle groups/movements you need to work on.
If I was doing an assessment in clinic (and didn't have a bunch of gym equipment) I'd be testing strength/endurance of at least the following
- single leg heel/calf raise
- single leg sit-to-stand/high box squat
- single leg bridge w/short lever (so not as much hamstring involvement)
- single leg bridge w/long lever (so more hamstring involvement)

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The hamstrings are hip extensors so any hamstrings exercises you're doing currently should help.
Otherwise my recommendation would be to trial a few single leg exercises and see which ones you're weakest on the side you had the reco on.
That'll give you the best indication of what muscle groups/movements you need to work on.
If I was doing an assessment in clinic (and didn't have a bunch of gym equipment) I'd be testing strength/endurance of at least the following
- single leg heel/calf raise
- single leg sit-to-stand/high box squat
- single leg bridge w/short lever (so not as much hamstring involvement)
- single leg bridge w/long lever (so more hamstring involvement)

Thanks heaps mate! Much appreciated.

AngryRanga

Yo Yeah
Sep 6, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Given it's returned and now affecting both legs it might be worth it.
Even if it's just for some different management options rather than a new/different diagnosis.

Is the pain in your foot or your leg?
Lower leg, just above the ankle.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Lower leg, just above the ankle.

Presuming the pain is on the outside of your leg (if it's on the inside 100% get a different opinion!);
Peroneal tendon pain typically presents where it inserts into the foot (about halfway along on the outside).
The tendon does run behind the ankle so conceivably the pain could present there but it would be unusual, and you can get achilles pain in that area as well.
Fibula hardly bears any weight so unlikely you'll have a stress fracture there.

Based off the (limited) info I'd be leaning more towards an achilles tendon issue than peroneal. This fits in with the location, timeline, mechanisms and the treatment for achilles vs peroneal tendon would be pretty similar (accounting for the improvement you got).
Other than that my (very) broad advice would be to monitor your running volume/intensity (basically work out what you can do without irritating it further - use a 24 hour return to baseline pain as a guide), tendons hate sharp increases (or decreases) in loading volume, irritated tendons HATE being stretched (compresses them) but are fine with isometric exercises and slow concentric contractions (as long as you avoid going through full ROM/stretch while it's irritated).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Battling with some knee tendinitis at the moment, any tips? Bloody sore
Aside from the obvious with any google search, I always make it a priority to warm up and cool down properly for every single workout, regardless of what body part, the entire body is ready to go (its about 10min). Its a pain in the arse some days (not literally lol) but I believe it helps me.

I also use ice after weight training on leg days and running on my knees for 5-10 minutes.

Im not sure of your weight, but if you are carrying extra, ie fat, losing weight will be a god send for your knees too.

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Aside from the obvious with any google search, I always make it a priority to warm up and cool down properly for every single workout, regardless of what body part, the entire body is ready to go (its about 10min). Its a pain in the arse some days (not literally lol) but I believe it helps me.

I also use ice after weight training on leg days and running on my knees for 5-10 minutes.

Im not sure of your weight, but if you are carrying extra, ie fat, losing weight will be a god send for your knees too.

Yeah cheers, I've chucked a bit of ice on today and it's eased. Will be stopping a few things I think are inflaming the patella. Physio gave me a good stretch a few years ago which really helps actually too where you just lean back with a band tied around a pole. Not carrying any extra wait luckily lol

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Surely you get it surgically repaired?

I didn't even know there was a non surgical option for that injury.
I have been told from 2 opinions non surgical is way to go now, especially if it is healing, but the position i don't want to be in is it heals 70% but final 30% can't heal without surgery as that's just delaying the rehab because will need surgery then.

Contra Mundum

To Know Nothing is the Happiest Life
10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
This is s**t. I have just been diagnosed with OP - which is very s**t for a 57 year old! I don't really get much groin soreness just a sore right leg adductor. Can I do any lower body work at all? I am having to swim for cardio which I have not done for years, All the good vibes Kirky BTW have not posted in a while

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Recently realised I’ve had a swollen ankle since my second to last game of the season, so since late August. It hasn’t really gone down but doesn’t seem to be causing many problems during my casual jogs. Occasionally aches though. What is the problem?

BrockBlitz

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Recently realised I’ve had a swollen ankle since my second to last game of the season, so since late August. It hasn’t really gone down but doesn’t seem to be causing many problems during my casual jogs. Occasionally aches though. What is the problem?

See a physio.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back