Past Robert Muir - ABC Article

Remove this Banner Ad

St_Laz

Team Captain
May 30, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’m too young to have seen Robbie Muir play, but reading this article it’s a completely different side to the story that’s generally told. Clearly some sort of support from the club would be appreciated and make a big difference to his life.
I’m sure there have been efforts over the years, and wouldn’t knock the club at all. But sometimes these things need to be at the right moment and it seems like this might be an opportunity.
Suggest people have a read and send an email to the club if they want to offer some encouragement.

Retirement of the nickname “mad dog” also would be a small step in the right direction.

An open and honest article on Robert Muir. I won’t use that nickname - he doesn’t like it.

I’m too young to have seen Robbie Muir play, but reading this article it’s a completely different side to the story that’s generally told. Clearly some sort of support from the club would be appreciated and make a big difference to his life.
I’m sure there have been efforts over the years, and wouldn’t knock the club at all. But sometimes these things need to be at the right moment and it seems like this might be an opportunity.
Suggest people have a read and send an email to the club if they want to offer some encouragement.

Retirement of the nickname “mad dog” also would be a small step in the right direction.

Apologies for crashing the thread but I just finished it and came in here. Heartbreaking stuff. Shameful the way he was treated, but glad to see things seem to have turned around somewhat.

Vague memories but although though notorious for the big hits, I recall what a talent he was, and was considered in the game. What he could have been in today’s game with the proper support mechanisms.

yes, we as a club can do better.

It’s a good article. I remember that appearance on the footy show... that staged act didn’t help him at all.

Unbearably sad. As someone who saw him play, he could be brilliant. Think Cyril Rioli who played on the wing. Balanced, quick, giant leap and a brutal tackler.

obviously loves the club, even in the photos taken he was wearing the club crest

Matt Finnis - you cant fix this but you must try and make amends.

this is a great read.

It is history that we need to discuss and own.

Some players have clubs cover up and ignore their players indiscretions.

This article highlights the impact of trauma and the repeated impact of it.

As a club we could be doing more, it does not need to publicity seeking as some actions with the indigenous rounds can be it should be about real actions.

Both for Robert Muir and the club recognizing who an actual individual is, it makes the club stronger.

I was at that game at Princes Park. It was clear to the spectators that the umpires were trying to drive him out of the game. My strongest memory is Robert repeatedly throwing his mouth guard on the ground while standing on the mark after another free kick given against him. He was incredibly frustrated.

For a club that is desperate to portray itself as socially progressive under Finnis (which is a good thing as long as the balance is right in regards to football relevance as well) it’s staggering to read this article and see that the club didn’t even try to accomodate him when he asked to attend a dream time game. Didn’t even call him back. Especially as we have in recent years rightly embraced Nicky Winmar for everything he has done for the club. I wonder what the current indigenous boys would think reading this article. Especially with how much Muir clearly loves the club. He wants his ashes on the wing at Moorabbin. There’s probably a lot more to the story behind the scenes but this is a desperately sad story and the club should extend support to him moving forward.

Unbearably sad. As someone who saw him play, he could be brilliant. Think Cyril Rioli who played on the wing. Balanced, quick, giant leap and a brutal tackler.

obviously loves the club, even in the photos taken he was wearing the club crest

Matt Finnis - you cant fix this but you must try and make amends.
Remember watching him I was very young, but do remember he had great skills and speed. My old man loved him , it was him and George Young for dad
We need to let the club and Matt Finnis know we want to help Rob Muir out and make amends hopefully bring some happiness to him

I will be sending an email this week

Oh *, that's seriously heartbreaking. I'm ashamed by the way our club has treated him as much as anything. The AFL should be issuing a public apology to him, disgraceful that it was so recent. Anyone that thinks that people like Goodes were whingers should read this and see what abuse does to someones mental state. Someone should start a Go Fund Me page to get him his shoulder operation. The club should pull in him in and support him with their psychs and leaving him out of past players events is an indictment and shows we are all about putting a veneer over still being a pretty ordinarily run club. If I was him I'd hate the Saints, he's a pretty resilient guy.

Absolutely heartbreaking. The fact that he still loves the club after what he went through is incredible and probably speaks to the pride he has of being such a wonderful VFL player.

Hopefully the club gets around Robert and shows some support, we owe him big time.

What these Aboriginal players were up against is just unbelievable. The courage and conviction it would take to go out every week knowing this kind of abuse was coming speaks volumes. I wonder how many more careers were destroyed or never happened because of this kind of racism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a club that is desperate to portray itself as socially progressive under Finnis (which is a good thing as long as the balance is right in regards to football relevance as well) it’s staggering to read this article and see that the club didn’t even try to accomodate him when he asked to attend a dream time game. Didn’t even call him back. Especially as we have in recent years rightly embraced Nicky Winmar for everything he has done for the club. I wonder what the current indigenous boys would think reading this article. Especially with how much Muir clearly loves the club. He wants his ashes on the wing at Moorabbin. There’s probably a lot more to the story behind the scenes but this is a desperately sad story and the club should extend support to him moving forward.

I think AFL clubs are happy to take the credit and use these guys images to promote themselves as progressive but don't walk the walk. They make out that the club were somehow special for having Winmar in our jumper when he stood up. I doubt that he was ever encouraged and I bet he probably got told to pull his head in. We now sell ourselves on that image.

Not only our club that needs to step but clubs involved in the abuse in the past need to acknowledge it ie Collingwood and Geelong named, but as a Saints player states:

' St Kilda player discussing the racial abuse of Muir: "It isn't only Collingwood," he said. "It happens to Robert all the time, and we're powerless to do anything to help him … they're ruining a fine player."

Saints need to step up with their support of Robert Muir all clubs and the AFL need to acknowledge what has happened.

I loved watching Robbie play. For those that were never lucky enough to see him live, he was super- quick, a massive kick (65m plus), a brutal tackler, and he regularly took “hangers” (like the one in my avatar which I saw at Moorabbin against Carlton in 1975).
In 1974/75 he was the most exciting player in the league.

Unfortunately, his opponents would constantly racially abuse him to put him of his game - and it usually worked. I often describe him as ‘Nicky Winmar with an extra 10kg of muscle’.

It sounds like his life is finally on track. Hopefully he can find some sort of peace.

An open and honest article on Robert Muir. I won’t use that nickname - he doesn’t like it.

I did not know anything about Robert Muir.
That is just terribly tragic.
The club needs to reach out to him and bring him back into the fold.

Last edited:
That was a difficult read. I was a Robbie Muir fan. To this day, I can still remember having a conversation with Robbie in the St Kilda Social Club after a game. Contrary to his fierce reputation on the field, I found him to be polite and engaging. I can't remember the specifics of what we discussed. I just remember that it was a two way conversation and I was left with the feeling that he was a genuinely decent person. I wish him only good thoughts

I grew up watching Robbie from the animal enclosure. I remember his ferocity for the contest and his raw but freakish talent that saw a relatively short career.
Clearly looking at my sig he is one of my inspirations and I was lucky to have seen him play. His life has been tragic and I hope he can find peace and reflect back on just how amazing he was.

I did not know anything about Robert Muir.
That is just terribly tragic.
The club needs to reach out to him and bring him back into the fold.
Agree and I would be surprised if it doesn’t happen. At least good to read they reached out to him in advance of indigenous charter.

Someone has set up a GoFundMe for Robbie

Done, thanks for linking that. Hope he gets more than the $25k. I hope the club also brings him back into the fold. You can't fix the past but you can fix the future and show him the respect he was denied for so long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back