Club Focus Collingwood 2020 - Henry, Macrae, McInnes, Poulter, McMahon, McCreery

AFL Club Focus
2019 Collingwood club focus thread

Data from footywire. To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

scratchy09

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Despite all this talk about salary cap pressure, so far this trade period the Pies have added a player, lost none.
We aren't under salary cap pressure as of yet. What people need to realise is the salary cap pressure is predicted for 2020 with all of our OOC players. If we could get them all at a reduced rate, we will have no pressure.

Rantall and Bianco are great pickups. Would have loved them at the Dons, but we had a real need for height.
And we have too many sub 185cm mids.

I think Collingwood wanted to do the Same. Move up for Height but could not do so.

Then with Rantall and Bianco we just took Best Avaliable

I think Collingwood wanted to do the Same. Move up for Height but could not do so.

Then with Rantall and Bianco we just took Best Avaliable
I don’t think we’re too worried about tall mids Dave. Sier and Wills, Tyler Brown highly rated internally, Reef McInness this year, and Nick Daicos in 2021 whos already mid 180’s too. We aren’t going to be short on big bodied mids for the next decade tbh.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
In NBA Terms, they need to blow up their list and start the long painful rebuild process.

Their list is cooked, and all their injuries this season have exposed the Pies lack of Depth.

They should re-sign DeGoey and Moore, than have a fire sale and try get as many draft picks as they can.

They are very close to falling off a cliff like The Crows and Hawks. Lack of quality young players coming through is a massive concern.

Jul 14, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Colts, UVA, Anaheim Ducks
In NBA Terms, they need to blow up their list and start the long painful rebuild process.

Their list is cooked, and all their injuries this season have exposed the Pies lack of Depth.

They should re-sign DeGoey and Moore, than have a fire sale and try get as many draft picks as they can.

They are very close to falling off a cliff like The Crows and Hawks. Lack of quality young players coming through is a massive concern.
You are not totally off the mark with what you say i think we could fall of a cliff big time in the next few years if we dont make really key and accurate recruiting moves, that beams trade will haunt us for a good long time.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Yeah, that Beams trade is rough.

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood

I agree in a way but I think we can quickly change things around. We have a good group for core players that we can build around but yes a bit of a shake up is needed. Not so much worried about young talent because of Reef and Daicos coming through. What we need is some quality talls.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I agree in a way but I think we can quickly change things around. We have a good group for core players that we can build around but yes a bit of a shake up is needed. Not so much worried about young talent because of Reef and Daicos coming through. What we need is some quality talls.

Agreed. You guys also need Howe back ASAP, he makes such a significant difference to your structure and game Plan.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Yeah really, he’s the biggest one we are missing. Not only did he organise the back line he was our main drive into attack.

Any chance you guys take a punt on Jesse Hogan ?

Your KPF stocks are not great and Freo might be happy to give him away cheaply?

I am not sure how many good FS and Academy kids you have waiting in the wings, but I think it's time you regenerate your midfield as well, Pendlebury as great as he is, looks slowing down in his twilight years and Sidebottom is no spring chicken either.

This is why I am a tad worried about the Pies short - medium future. The players for the most part you have had to bring in due to a big injury just don't seem up to AFL standard.

It's understandable really with a dilluted draft pool and no access to early picks in recent years.

I dare say The Pies might need to go backwards to go forwards for a couple of years.

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Any chance you guys take a punt on Jesse Hogan ?

Your KPF stocks are not great and Freo might be happy to give him away cheaply?

I am not sure how many good FS and Academy kids you have waiting in the wings, but I think it's time you regenerate your midfield as well, Pendlebury as great as he is, looks slowing down in his twilight years and Sidebottom is no spring chicken either.

This is why I am a tad worried about the Pies short - medium future. The players for the most part you have had to bring in due to a big injury just don't seem up to AFL standard.

It's understandable really with a dilluted draft pool and no access to early picks in recent years.

I dare say The Pies might need to go backwards to go forwards for a couple of years.
Wouldn’t have thought so re Hogan. Just can’t afford someone that is shaky off field. Would he come back to Melbourne is the other question?

With list sizes shrinking (more than likely) it’s a good year to stock up with players from other clubs. Hopefully we’ll be able to strengthen our key stocks that way and maybe develop one through the draft.

Any team is going to struggle replacing Sidey and Pendles but yes you’re right the planing needs to be started now imo. I think they are going to hope that can be done over the next 2 drafts with Reef and Daicos. Backwards is a high possibility but I don’t expect us to take a hit like Adelaide has.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Collingwood should hope like hell McDonald falls to their pick.
No doubt but we need to do more then just that. We really are when we are fit a tall forward away from being a premiership contender. McDonald will be a great player and a great get but we also need to address the immediate term

Back