Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how much credence we should give it but Craig Jennings (does a regular coaching bit with Whately on SEN) has a massive hard on for JL.

Guy seems to have tickets on himself but also gives the impression he understands coaching pretty well. Has worked at several clubs so probably has some idea.

Not sure how much credence we should give it but Craig Jennings (does a regular coaching bit with Whately on SEN) has a massive hard on for JL.

Guy seems to have tickets on himself but also gives the impression he understands coaching pretty well. Has worked at several clubs so probably has some idea.
He was pretty well rated at Melbourne for a while but got shown the door this year for whatever reason. Was mid coach during Melbournes 2018 run and they looked pretty good there, don’t mind him as a potential Anthony Rock replacement

He was pretty well rated at Melbourne for a while but got shown the door this year for whatever reason. Was mid coach during Melbournes 2018 run and they looked pretty good there, don’t mind him as a potential Anthony Rock replacement
Yeah not pumping him for a job more just highlighting that he rates JL as coach.

Our bad losses this year have had a very specific pattern: we’ve been taken apart by a team with at least one big, seasoned key forward. Dixon, Kennedy and Hawkins all had very good games against us. This is a problem of personnel more than system, we’ve had no one who can go up against them.

Other than that, we’ve competed pretty well in every game. This early into his career, Longmuir’s system stands up IMO

Our bad losses this year have had a very specific pattern: we’ve been taken apart by a team with at least one big, seasoned key forward. Dixon, Kennedy and Hawkins all had very good games against us. This is a problem of personnel more than system, we’ve had no one who can go up against them.

Other than that, we’ve competed pretty well in every game. This early into his career, Longmuir’s system stands up IMO

I wouldnt say Hawkins got a hold of us, he kicked a couple of lucky soccer goals in the goalsquare in the wet when we failed to rush it through properly. Kennedy and Dixon exposed us down back though, which seems to have caused a bit of a change in how we structure up. Cox back helps massively there too.

JLo has shown a really impressive ability to adapt when a structure isn't working. He is seriously impressive for a first year coach

I wouldnt say Hawkins got a hold of us, he kicked a couple of lucky soccer goals in the goalsquare in the wet when we failed to rush it through properly. Kennedy and Dixon exposed us down back though, which seems to have caused a bit of a change in how we structure up. Cox back helps massively there too.

JLo has shown a really impressive ability to adapt when a structure isn't working. He is seriously impressive for a first year coach
True, but as good as Ryan has been, you shudder to think what might have happened in dry conditions. Hawkins monsters almost everyone and if we kept him quiet on a clear day then Ryan would deserve godlike status

Three goals in the wet and a low scoring game is pretty good. I think luck aside he is a difficult match up, and them having capable height in their forward 50 was what prevented us clearing the ball from defence in the second quarter. I think our defenders were reluctant to take risks because they knew they'd be out-marked by Hawkins if it came straight back in.

I think with a decent injury list we'd probably be sitting 6-4 instead of 4-6.

Dixon, Kennedy and Hawkins all had very good games against us. This is a problem of personnel more than system, we’ve had no one who can go up against them.

Those three guys are 1, 2, and 3 in the Coleman medal race. They’ve been tearing up a lot of teams this year. No shame in that. Like you said, when we get our horses back in JLos system I think we match up alright.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF ...
the criteria for coach of the year was widened to include those who have taken over struggling organisations, and who have then been subjected to absences by his best two players ...

THEN ...
Justin Longmuir would be in the conversation. You can just tell he knows what he's doing.

Love him

Love the way he speaks in pressers

Love his focus on one game at a time and not being drawn into ladder position

Love his determination to blood young players

Fantastic pickup for our club for a long time to come

On CPH2009 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Loved the way he dropped Acres after a terrible game and hasn't rushed Hogan back.

Jumping the gun here I know.

But JLo's pressers and media stuff! They way he talks about his players and the game tactics etc. The things he says. The balance. He has success written ALL over him. There is just something about him. Can't put my finger on it, but he feels different.

(I almost replaced 'success' with 'premiership coach' but I didn't want to black cat us)

Jumping the gun here I know.

But JLo's pressers and media stuff! They way he talks about his players and the game tactics etc. The things he says. The balance. He has success written ALL over him. There is just something about him. Can't put my finger on it, but he feels different.

(I almost replaced 'success' with 'premiership coach' but I didn't want to black cat us)
It’s the vibe.

Love him

Love the way he speaks in pressers

Love his focus on one game at a time and not being drawn into ladder position

Love his determination to blood young players

Fantastic pickup for our club for a long time to come

On CPH2009 using BigFooty.com mobile app
He has been successful as an assistant at both the Eagles and the Pies and both Clubs were sad to see him go. I think the FFC are onto a winner here and just maybe with JLo at the helm your Club and supporters will finally get the flag you so desire.

Ross Lyon faced heavy criticism for his low scoring and dour game plan, especially in relation to not being able to win where it matters, in a grand final.

Is what we are seeing just the first steps in his overall plan? I remember the first half of 2012 had some really average footy played as the team got used to the changes, should we be looking forward to the evolution of the forward line in the last few games of the season?

It does seem we have swapped one defensive coach for another.

Ross Lyon faced heavy criticism for his low scoring and dour game plan, especially in relation to not being able to win where it matters, in a grand final.

Is what we are seeing just the first steps in his overall plan? I remember the first half of 2012 had some really average footy played as the team got used to the changes, should we be looking forward to the evolution of the forward line in the last few games of the season?

I feel like we have enough opportunities.
need the smalls like Schultz and Henry to take them...also Lobb

I love Ross as much as the next guy but the current gameplan feels like stage 1 of the process to me. They always teach the defence side first. At the moment, the slow, steady movement has us controlling the game and the backline is ALWAYS set up as a result. Add another pre-season where they can train as a group and we’ll be more aggressive.

Think it will also help a lot having Young and Henry (with more games under the belt) delivering the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back