Cox and Ryan - number one defensive partnership????

Remove this Banner Ad

Would Hambling and Pearce be able to develop there games to be less lockdown types and take more risks? Who knows. I say stick with whats working and bring Logue in for Duman / Hughes? next year. And if Pearce & Hambling can get fit then they can play there way in like everyone else.

They probably review their own tapes at home during the week. Luke puts a spag bol on, Brennan does the dishes. There’s a bottle of Margaret River Shiraz breathing for later when they get through a couple of episodes of Succession or The Great. They talk about getting a dog while brushing their teeth. ‘Goodnight, Rhino’, ‘Goodnight, Coxy,’ they say as they get into their bunk bed. Brennan reads for a bit and Luke is asleep as soon as his head hits the pillow.

They probably review their own tapes at home during the week. Luke puts a spag bol on, Brennan does the dishes. There’s a bottle of Margaret River Shiraz breathing for later when they get through a couple of episodes of Succession or The Great. They talk about getting a dog while brushing their teeth. ‘Goodnight, Rhino’, ‘Goodnight, Coxy,’ they say as they get into their bunk bed. Brennan reads for a bit and Luke is asleep as soon as his head hits the pillow.

Funny I saw them at Dan Murphys picking up a couple of premium whites 😂

It will be interesting to see what happens hear. Cox is out of contract at the end of the year, comes from SA Adelaide will definitely be circling.

Do we try to keep him & potentially be behind Pearce & Hamling the when/if they return? He probably doesn’t have the body of work to demand a first round pick from Adelaide and anything less will be a disappointment.

Cox isn’t going anywhere, just letting his work dictate the years and dollars he’s going to get.

Of the current back 7, Hill and Duman make way reasonably easily. Conca next off the ranks but he’s clearly our best ‘small’ defender given his work the last two weeks.

Young has to come in for his kicking which will be a stupid level of improvement on anyone else (aaannndd now I’m upset he’s not playing at the moment). Logue can play small or tall, whatever we need and Pearce sure’s up the one weakness that backline currently has - gorilla forwards.

The real question, and we all know it, is who do you play out of Hamling and Cox? I would have them dead even at the moment.

Also, I apologise Mr Cox, I don’t think you had the attributes to be a KPD, I was clearly wrong

I think people are letting recency bias discount just how exceptional Pearce and Hamling are.

The full-strength starting six down back is IMO pretty clear-cut.

Ryan Pearce Logue
Wilson Hamling Young

I don't think you can force Cox in there without it starting to look a tad unbalanced. But given bringing both KPDs back full time is going to be a slow and steady process, I'd say he's going to be seeing plenty of gametime regardless.

They already have a dog ;)
1598150401979.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If all 3 of AP, Hamling and Logue are available, I'd try a move of Logue to the midfield as the big bodied mid whilst Fyfe or Mundy are resting up forward.

Would play AP on the big opp key forward, Cox on the 2nd tall opp fwd and Hamling on the best opp small fwd. Ryan, Young or Willo as our distributors out of the backline.

Logue could be the mid that unfortunately Morabito could be of been if not cut down due to injuries. Athletic, strong mark, speed and a long kick.

Hamling OR Pearce coming back could very well allow Cox a lot more freedom to cruise around and intercept, which would be handy given he is pretty good by foot and fond of a bit of a dash. Logue can play tall or small as required (does he push Hughes out if fit?).

Only problem will be if all 4 are available, which realistically is probably not going to happen. Still interested to see what can happen with Logue forward, I don't think you'd lose pressure by throwing him up there given his speed and agility.

If all 3 of AP, Hamling and Logue are available, I'd try a move of Logue to the midfield as the big bodied mid whilst Fyfe or Mundy are resting up forward.

Would play AP on the big opp key forward, Cox on the 2nd tall opp fwd and Hamling on the best opp small fwd. Ryan, Young or Willo as our distributors out of the backline.

Logue could be the mid that unfortunately Morabito could be of been if not cut down due to injuries. Athletic, strong mark, speed and a long kick.

That's a good point. Has he played in the mid before? I remember he played up forward his rookie year and held his own.

Logue’s potential looks a lot more like a utility, somewhere between Michael Johnson and early career Mundy. At worst he becomes a bit like Adam McPhee (the less frustrating version).

Luke Ryan is ranked 1 in the AFL for Rebound 50s and Intercepts and is top 10 for Meters gained.

This is mind blowing numbers considering he is also playing as a lockdown defender. JLo is literally using the last defender as a playmaker, basically getting an extra defender in the back 6.

A lockdown defender with an elite kick. Incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always thought Cox was a bit soft but he has hardened up impressively in 2020.

Body on body he's still not that great, but he doesn't need to be if he can position and read the ball perfectly. This is why he can play along Hamling, who murders his opponent physically.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back