AFLW 2020 AFLW Sign and Trade Period, August 3rd-21st (all list management details up in here)

Who won the 2020 AFLW Trade Period Premiership?

• Adelaide - environmentally friendly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Collingwood - hello Newman etc

• Geelong definitely know what they're doing

• GWS Giants - Katherine Smith aka Killa Kat is about to fu** sh*t up in the old Greater West

• Richmond have neces-Sarah-ly improved

• St Kilda - love that BJ

• West Coast - tip of the hat for their Tipperary recruit

• Total voters
Reminder that all signings are being updated in the OP as we go, along with the relevant links (including excellent articles by Brisbane and Carlton which explicitly confirm one-year contract extensions are indeed a thing, so that clears up the Chiocci situation).

Also, poll added!

Oct 3, 2006
Gold Coast/Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Phillip Island Bulldogs/Lions AFLW

A now deleted tweet from someone I don't know personally but know has been around the traps...think we're still in limbo at this stage as to the extent of the trade, but beyond just a swap of clubs for Drennan and Hammans.

Update: Smith with Picks 37 and 51 to Lions for Pick 24 source

Richmond's 27 finalised, moving on just six players (plus Campbell) which might seem lenient for a 0-6 team, but it's already a very young list and making early calls on more than 3 teenagers would have a high potential of coming back to haunt them.
  • Cunningham retained to patrol the goalsquare in the garden of Eden Zanker, which probably lowers Perkins' chances of getting on the main list. Just as re-signing all three of Sloane, Lampard and Kemp might've looked like too much of a risk.
  • A couple more Irish players in Neeev McEvoy and Shenayd Goldrick have committed to return in 2021, for whatever commitments are worth atm.
  • Despite being walked over for most of the trade period, I picked the Dees in the Trade Period Premiers poll because of that first pick upgrade they eventually snared. Could be huuuge for them I reckon.
The Crows and Eagles have taken care of business, with no real surprises but a couple of bummers.
Yesterday's announcements at Geelong were posted in an article titled "Cats Finalise List". But is a list of signings like these other teams forthcoming, and will they pick up any delisted free agents? The body of the article didn't say.

A slower Friday than I expected, with the re-signing period to close on Monday 2pm.

The status of the two best Irish players so far imo, Sarah Rowe and Aileen Gilroy, remains unknown. Both are from dear old County Mayo, whose women's Gaelic football coach has acted like a plonker regarding AFLW.

That said, North haven't announced any of their re-signings yet. And Collingwood, who were slow to announce all their list changes last year, are also yet to confirm the whatabouts of Layton, Fowler, Bentvelzen and their other Irish cross-coder Sheridan (Cavan GAA). They have the space to fit them all in.

Re-capping other stuff:
  • Carlton, who have one list spot left, are also yet to announce any news about Rugby 7s gold medal Olympian Chloe Dalton.
  • Brisbane have not announced the delisting of Glenelg recruit Lucy Bellinger, but they have filled up all 27 spots and she hasn't got one of them.
  • Fremantle finalised all their re-signings yesterday, see OP, which included Ann McMahon.
  • Likewise the Western Bulldogs. No player there was delisted, thus no much-needed senior leader added to the squad.
  • St Kilda's Courteney Munn, who kicked four goals on debut in 2019 for North, has retired. Another addition to the unfortunate Bermuda Triangle of tall forwards to have risen-and-fallen sharply over the last few years.

News from the last day of the re-signing period:
  • Collingwood re-signed its remaining out-of-contract players, except for Bentvelzen who has retired. I made a mistake in the previous post by mentioning Fowler though--she was in fact a re-signing announcement last week.
  • At GWS, Ingrid Nielsen and Maggie Gorham have retired while Ellie Brush has more definitively stepped away from footy for soccer. Everybody else re-signed.
  • Similar news at Carlton, with Chloe Dalton confirmed to sit out 2021 in favour of rugby, but she has signed on with the Blues for 2022.
  • North Melbourne and Gold Coast also announced all their re-signings today, no further delistings or retirements etc there.
Finally, Fremantle signed Tarnee Tester (formerly WC) as a delisted free agent. The signing period for those players ends on Friday 2pm.

Dalton is a huge loss for next year, her run and carry has been critical over the past couple of seasons. Good luck to her in Tokyo and we look forward to welcoming her back for 2022.

Charlotte Hammans notes her strengths as being her ability to run with the ball, I wonder if she'll effectively be a direct replacement or if we've got something else planned for that spot.

Dalton is a huge loss for next year, her run and carry has been critical over the past couple of seasons. Good luck to her in Tokyo and we look forward to welcoming her back for 2022.

Charlotte Hammans notes her strengths as being her ability to run with the ball, I wonder if she'll effectively be a direct replacement or if we've got something else planned for that spot.
Or it could be Guerin, or whoever you get with pick 12. I've definitely seen (or probably seen, in the case of potential draftees) them do it in the serene spacious rolling meadows of junior footy. But can they do it through real congested traffic, and make it look rather easy, who knows.

TheTassieHawk

Team Captain
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Any word on Barclay at GWS? Doesn’t seem to be included in their list of signed or delisted players so far.

Any word on Barclay at GWS? Doesn’t seem to be included in their list of signed or delisted players so far.
Oh, good pickup. I can't think of an intentional reason for why she isn't mentioned in the Giants' recent website articles.

It wouldn't be too surprising if she didn't play in 2021, having missed games in the past due to her rather unconventional work commitments, but even players going on the inactive list have always been acknowledged as such.

St Kilda doing a slow rollout of re-signing announcements. Not sure why they're bothering now, considering all lists were lodged and released on the league website earlier in the week.

Melbourne have signed Lauren Magee as a rookie, the third Gaelic cross-coder on their list. Encouraging to have a large contingent (17, I think) of players from Ireland coming over again--unless travel restrictions get in the way, and then I'm sure some hack from The Guardian will blame that on the AFL too. Rookie signing period ends on 28 August.

Draft locked in for 6 October, 7pm AEST. Each team's picks are as follows.
Adelaide: 4, 44, 46
Brisbane: 8, 37, 38, 49
Carlton: 12, 28, 36
Collingwood: 19, 25, 26, 31, 33
Fremantle: 14, 30, 45
Geelong: 10, 20, 21, 27
Gold Coast: 7, 23, 50, 54, 57, 58
GWS: 9, 29, 41
Melbourne: 5, 15, 17, 35, 40, 47
North Melbourne: 13, 22, 43, 48, 55
Richmond: 1, 42, 52
St Kilda: 6, 24, 34, 49, 51
West Coast: 3, 18, 32, 53, 56
Western Bulldogs: 2, 11, 16

jakkowiz

Rookie
Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Does anybody know were to find info on the players in this year's draft and what picks they might be taken at

Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Does anybody know were to find info on the players in this year's draft and what picks they might be taken at

Draft Central is probably your best bet for info on the NAB League players. If you scroll back through their archives, they have some more in-depth profiles for some of the headline players. The official NAB League app has some stats and you can search up some highlights.

In terms of order, it's hard to know. We don't have anybody doing the kind of draft sleuthing that Cal Twomey does for the mens' side of things. Peter Williams from Draft Central was on the WARF podcast a couple of weeks ago (episode 31 if you're interested in listening) talking about the trade period and they did speculate a little bit about the earliest part of the VIC draft. Ellie McKenzie, a midfielder from the Northern Knights, seems the most likely to go first (Sarah Black from womens.afl has been echoing that sentiment). Then, the Dogs may go with Alyssa Bannan, an athletic tall forward, also from the Knights. If those two are the first two taken, then Melbourne will most likely take Tyanna Smith, a speedy midfielder from the Dandenong Stingrays.

After that, it's anybody's guess. From what I've seen, there should be good players available when Melbourne's next picks roll around at 15 and 17.

TheTassieHawk

Team Captain
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Draft Central is probably your best bet for info on the NAB League players. If you scroll back through their archives, they have some more in-depth profiles for some of the headline players. The official NAB League app has some stats and you can search up some highlights.

In terms of order, it's hard to know. We don't have anybody doing the kind of draft sleuthing that Cal Twomey does for the mens' side of things. Peter Williams from Draft Central was on the WARF podcast a couple of weeks ago (episode 31 if you're interested in listening) talking about the trade period and they did speculate a little bit about the earliest part of the VIC draft. Ellie McKenzie, a midfielder from the Northern Knights, seems the most likely to go first (Sarah Black from womens.afl has been echoing that sentiment). Then, the Dogs may go with Alyssa Bannan, an athletic tall forward, also from the Knights. If those two are the first two taken, then Melbourne will most likely take Tyanna Smith, a speedy midfielder from the Dandenong Stingrays.

After that, it's anybody's guess. From what I've seen, there should be good players available when Melbourne's next picks roll around at 15 and 17.

Last season there were a couple of predraft overviews and one podcast did a mock draft about a week prior to the AFLW draft.

A decent annual mock draft with input from those in the know would be a great development for the women’s game.

On a related potential-draftees fact-finding note, in light of no U18 national carnival, dates for makeshift intrastate U18 All-Star games were released today:
New South Wales/ACT
Girls – TBC

Victoria
Girls – TBC
...never mind. Even if by some miracle those games do go ahead, it'd only be a matter of days before the draft takes place (October 6 icymi).

All systems are go elsewhere, but once again the most intriguing states come latest in the piece:
Northern Territory
Girls – Friday 25 September

Queensland
Girls – Sunday 4 October

South Australia
Girls – Thursday 11 September

Tasmania
Girls – Wednesday 30 September

Western Australia
Girls – Saturday 3 October

◊◊◊

Appears to be no further delisted free agent signings, with that window now closed. The only recruitment news this week was therefore Brisbane's signing of Courtney Hodder as a cross-code rookie. She had been in the AFLW pathway when younger but spent the last few years playing rugby.

◊◊◊
After [the top 3 Vic picks], it's anybody's guess. From what I've seen, there should be good players available when Melbourne's next picks roll around at 15 and 17.
So with that in mind, Geelong's decision to trade away Vic pick 3 definitely doesn't seem to make sense. I haven't looked or listened for any theories about this yet. Are there any out there?

Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
A decent annual mock draft with input from those in the know would be a great development for the women’s game.
I know I'd love to see one. I've tried putting together a Victorian order based on what I know and feels like my margin of error is around about the 100% mark.

So with that in mind, Geelong's decision to trade away Vic pick 3 definitely doesn't seem to make sense. I haven't looked or listened for any theories about this yet. Are there any out there?
I didn't mean to imply any massive gap between the Demons pick and the next picks. In particular, if the Saints and Cats go tall, it's hard to make a direct comparison between Tyanna Smith and, say, Olivia Barber or Maggie Caris. Barber and Smith were both Academy players and All-Australian at the U18 championships as bottom-agers. Barber may also be the more scarce commodity as a >180cm key forward. If the Cats were to go local by choosing Laura Gardiner or Darcy Moloney, those two were #1 and #2 in average disposals in the NAB League - so it's at least defensible.

The other aspect of the trade was moving up their later picks. I believe their picks were 3, 14, 20 and 32 in the Victorian order before the trade. Now they have 5, 13, 14 and 19. It just so happens there were 20 Victorian girls who were named as part of the 2020 Academy, plus a further four who played for Vic Country as bottom-agers. Geelong can now take all their picks from within that group if they want to. They may even be able to sneak in Gardiner and Moloney. From my perspective, they're still in a position to find a star at Vic pick 5, and they'll do a better job at improving their depth with the rest of the picks, which makes some sense given where they're at as a club.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to imply any massive gap between the Demons pick and the next picks. In particular, if the Saints and Cats go tall, it's hard to make a direct comparison between Tyanna Smith and, say, Olivia Barber or Maggie Caris. Barber and Smith were both Academy players and All-Australian at the U18 championships as bottom-agers. Barber may also be the more scarce commodity as a >180cm key forward. If the Cats were to go local by choosing Laura Gardiner or Darcy Moloney, those two were #1 and #2 in average disposals in the NAB League - so it's at least defensible.

The other aspect of the trade was moving up their later picks. I believe their picks were 3, 14, 20 and 32 in the Victorian order before the trade. Now they have 5, 13, 14 and 19. It just so happens there were 20 Victorian girls who were named as part of the 2020 Academy, plus a further four who played for Vic Country as bottom-agers. Geelong can now take all their picks from within that group if they want to. They may even be able to sneak in Gardiner and Moloney. From my perspective, they're still in a position to find a star at Vic pick 5, and they'll do a better job at improving their depth with the rest of the picks, which makes some sense given where they're at as a club.
As useful as those later selections will be for improving Geelong's depth, they would surely have been just as useful at a post-exodus Melbourne (whose fourth and fifth picks would be 20 and 27 rather than 35 and 40).

At the very least it seems fair to say the Dees and Cats must have strong differing views about the value of the third and fifth Vic pick, otherwise I just can't see how the trade would've got done.

Team lists in the OP updated to include draftees and undrafted free agent signings. Also made note of the players confirmed as inactive, the recently announced Tiarna Ernst retirement, and the Giants' rookie signing of Bríd Stack (another Gaelic footballer, and the second Irish mother to make the trip over with her young son).

Back