Past Robert Muir - ABC Article

Remove this Banner Ad

Have donated, the reaction of the club has also been enough to want to pledge my membership again.
Well done Buddy

Don't tell my wife, but it was an expense I thought was justified.
Wives are pretty good at sensing these things: my wife saw the bank card on the table this morning after I’d donated...first question when she got up and saw it, “ok, what have you bought online this time?” 😀

I just sent her the article and no other words were needed to be spoken. 👍

I shed a tear reading that ABC article.

Fantastic to see the GoFundMe page. I hope enough is raised so Robert can receive the medical treatment he needs and also enjoy a life free of wanting to know how he is going to pay a $25 bill.

Kudos to the St Kilda Footy Club and Matt Finnis for the quick and decisive reaction today with a wonderful heartfelt apology and the willingness to support Robert going forward.

The fact Robert is still with us is a testament to his resilience and positive outlook helped enormously by his beautiful partner Donna Pickett.

Looking forward to seeing the AFL, Collingwood and Channel Nine also apologise unreservedly to Robert. And hopefully we see Robert enjoy a wonderful return to the AFL and be celebrated for the amazing player that he was and could have been if it not for the despicable racism he suffered.

$60,635 raised of $70,000 target

Played a game against Robbie in the late 80's in country SA. I was 18 or 19 at the time. Remember feeling quite aprehensive about the game given his reputation and history. Actually stood on him for a while and talked with him briefly after the game. He was friendly and wished me well. Just seemed very authentic and real. A real lesson for me - what you hear about someone/reputation vs reality. Very sad to read the ABC article about what he had been thru in his life up til than. Obviously loves the Saints. Hope there can be a happy ending with all this.

Apart from all the help Robert could be given by the AFL and its community, one thing they could do is trawl through the archives and put together a decent compilation of genuine football highlights of him in action and put it on Youtube. I remember him being a remarkably talented footballer, but for anyone without those memories all that is available to see is "Robbie Muir goes Beserk!" type things. Part of the healing process would be a counter to that characterisation.
Fantastic idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Channel 7 running with "allegations towards St Kilda" and footage of Robert whacking people.

No mention of Geelong, Collingwood, Carlton, The Footy Show, West Torrens, nor any footage of him actually playing the game.

Disgraceful, but less than surprising from the mainstream media. Only reinforces the stereotypes against the man who has a whole other side to him and the context behind some of his unfortunate actions come to light.

No wonder so many don't speak out.

Channel 7 running with "allegations towards St Kilda" and footage of Robert whacking people.

No mention of Geelong, Collingwood, Carlton, The Footy Show, West Torrens, nor any footage of him actually playing the game.
The media in this country is a joke, its a propaganda machine that Goebbels would think is too much.

* channel 7 and * everything they stand for

Might be me or my app but I cant make out the text
Dear Mr Finnis,

I am writing to thank you for the clubs response to the ABC story ‘The persecution of Robert Muir is the story football doesn’t want to hear’. The clubs media response was both quick and compassionate, and I hope it is well received by Mr Muir and his family. I never had the opportunity to watch Robbie Muir play, so I have no understanding of how he was considered within the club and by all followers of the game. Today, however, I was glad to make a donation to his GoFundMe page, and I would be equally glad to contribute again if the club was to organise another fundraiser under the official banner of the club.

I also wanted to proffer a suggestion to the club that it should consider as another powerful way we can demonstrate our commitment to Indigenous Australians moving forward. It is a simple suggestion but one that would be extremely powerful.

Rather than having an indigenous jumper that only gets worn sporadically and on special occasion, can we include an aboriginal tribal pattern on our home and away jumpers for all matches. The motivation behind the tribal design would be to:
  • Acknowledge the powerful contribution of Indigenous Australians to the history and traditions of our club
  • Declare our wish for the mighty Red, White & Black to be a symbol of inclusiveness to all Australians, at all times, always
  • Announce our pride for Indigenous Australian culture and our want to display that pride on the most important emblem of the club.
If you could build into the narrative that this development has been inspired by the plight of Mr Muir then the club could turn a tragic storey into one about courage, pride, strength and inclusivity.

Kind regards

(Cursing Fijian)
Membership Number: xxxxxxx

Dear Mr Finnis,

I am writing to thank you for the clubs response to the ABC story ‘The persecution of Robert Muir is the story football doesn’t want to hear’. The clubs media response was both quick and compassionate, and I hope it is well received by Mr Muir and his family. I never had the opportunity to watch Robbie Muir play, so I have no understanding of how he was considered within the club and by all followers of the game. Today, however, I was glad to make a donation to his GoFundMe page, and I would be equally glad to contribute again if the club was to organise another fundraiser under the official banner of the club.

I also wanted to proffer a suggestion to the club that it should consider as another powerful way we can demonstrate our commitment to Indigenous Australians moving forward. It is a simple suggestion but one that would be extremely powerful.

Rather than having an indigenous jumper that only gets worn sporadically and on special occasion, can we include an aboriginal tribal pattern on our home and away jumpers for all matches. The motivation behind the tribal design would be to:
  • Acknowledge the powerful contribution of Indigenous Australians to the history and traditions of our club
  • Declare our wish for the mighty Red, White & Black to be a symbol of inclusiveness to all Australians, at all times, always
  • Announce our pride for Indigenous Australian culture and our want to display that pride on the most important emblem of the club.
If you could build into the narrative that this development has been inspired by the plight of Mr Muir then the club could turn a tragic storey into one about courage, pride, strength and inclusivity.

Kind regards

(Cursing Fijian)
Membership Number: xxxxxxx

Great stuff Cursing Fijian - will duplicate but not plagarise

I hate that I have no option but to support 7 or Murdoch to watch the game I love.

Not surprising in the least. * 7.

Thats typical media. Always takes the default narrative. With us its we are always wrong.

Won’t get to see what Channel 7 have aired in Melbourne but you’d hope that they are not continuing to perpetuate these racist and immoral unbalanced lies and images that were rampant in the 70s and 80s in Australia.
The images of Robert are those of a man tormented by a racist culture - no other word to describe it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back