Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Rollling over into Part 5....that 50k posts people

Proves that you can have the highest winning % of any coach in the history of the game for over 200 games coached and still talk in circles about it..

Bring on 60k!!

Go Catters

Has anyone noticed that with his new look Chris Scott has shed the “oh my God” expressions from his facade. He is now deadpan with little expression.

Has anyone noticed that with his new look Chris Scott has shed the “oh my God” expressions from his facade. He is now deadpan with little expression.
strikes me of trying to read too much into anything.
He continues to be the coach with the highest winning % in history, and the single best spokesperson we've ever had, and deserves the utmost respect that this thread does not deliver.

He continues to be the coach with the highest winning % in history, and the single best spokesperson we've ever had, and deserves the utmost respect that this thread does not deliver.
Agree.

Alistair Clarkson blatantly copied Chris Scott's coaching tactics in the Hawks v Port Adelaide. Worked for a while for the Hawks.

That's something that i think is often ignored. Because he has the temerity to stick up for his own players - like literally every coach in the business - he gets accused of all sorts of things. Nothing he says is ever given any context by his critics - even the mission accomplished thing they love to drag out. He simply stated that in terms of assessing one particular part of our game or our team selection or whatever, he achieved the outcome he was looking for. He is humble, rarely if ever takes shots at other teams or players, defends his own, accepts criticism where it is warranted, acknowledges our failings when it is warranted, and invariably gives credit to the opposition. As a spokesman I don't really know what else he can do.

That's something that i think is often ignored. Because he has the temerity to stick up for his own players - like literally every coach in the business - he gets accused of all sorts of things. Nothing he says is ever given any context by his critics - even the mission accomplished thing they love to drag out. He simply stated that in terms of assessing one particular part of our game or our team selection or whatever, he achieved the outcome he was looking for. He is humble, rarely if ever takes shots at other teams or players, defends his own, accepts criticism where it is warranted, acknowledges our failings when it is warranted, and invariably gives credit to the opposition. As a spokesman I don't really know what else he can do.

his critics are a small minority of ugly pessimistic geelong fans. As the club has already put it themselves.

Strikes me he is a lot happier within himself, and that may well be being reflected within the team.

That's the thing isn't it, we can have another 50k posts debating if Chris Scott is the right coach or not but the players clearly still believe in his system. I will add that for a side that has had a few question marks on it's ability to win away from GMHBA stadium we currently sit on 7-3 for the season which is quite impressive.

Scott defenders sound an awful lot like trump supporters. Cherry picking facts.

yes he has the highest winning percentage. No one has ever complained about his success in home and away games. No one.

the complaints are:

- the abysmal final record for the past 8 years where geelong continually lose games they start as favourites. I.e. its not talent that lets the club down in finals and while this isnt all on scott he is a massive part of it. I cant think of another sporting club who has performed this poorly in finals over an 8 year stretch.

- completely changing the playing style of the club from the most exciting to the most boring. Literally one of the main reasons many supporters became geelong supporters in the first place was the style of play.

- clear team selection bias. literaly bizarre preferential treatment for certain players. And clear stubborness when his bizarre picks dont work out that have cost the club Grand final appearances. See the refusal to send blicavs to full back in last years finals series. The refusal to rest hawkins in 2013 until he was forced to in a final. The refusal to play the best ruckman in key games and finals despute it always backfiring.

- treatment of ex premiership stars (johnson and chapman among others)

- treatment of fans whenever they question some of the above Bizarre behaviours. Some really disgusting comments from Scott at public forums in response to fan comments.

Scott defenders sound an awful lot like trump supporters. Cherry picking facts.

yes he has the highest winning percentage. No one has ever complained about his success in home and away games. No one.

the complaints are:

- the abysmal final record for the past 8 years where geelong continually lose games they start as favourites. I.e. its not talent that lets the club down in finals and while this isnt all on scott he is a massive part of it. I cant think of another sporting club who has performed this poorly in finals over an 8 year stretch.

- completely changing the playing style of the club from the most exciting to the most boring. Literally one of the main reasons many supporters became geelong supporters in the first place was the style of play.

- clear team selection bias. literaly bizarre preferential treatment for certain players. And clear stubborness when his bizarre picks dont work out that have cost the club Grand final appearances. See the refusal to send blicavs to full back in last years finals series. The refusal to rest hawkins in 2013 until he was forced to in a final. The refusal to play the best ruckman in key games and finals despute it always backfiring.

- treatment of ex premiership stars (johnson and chapman among others)

- treatment of fans whenever they question some of the above Bizarre behaviours. Some really disgusting comments from Scott at public forums in response to fan comments.

You need to familiarise yourself with words like 'Parramatta' and 'St George' and 'Broncos' and have a look at their finals records over extended periods.
Broncos went something like 6-10 in their most recent stretch (I think that was over 10 or 11 years rather than 8 but they were there basically every season.
Hell San Antonio made the playoffs something like 25 years in a row and only won a few championships.

In one rant you literally accuse him of preferential treatment, and then lament that he didn't give two specific players preferential treatment.

How are we one of the most boring sides? Seriously it is like listening to those kids in the focus group on the Simpsons when they are talking about a new character for Itchy and Scratchy that finds itself in real life, down to earth situations but flies spaceships and has dinner with wizards or whatever.

Do you want to win or do you want to slam through the goal of the week every other round but get pumped by 50? Name one team recently that has been both successful, and incredibly attractive to watch?

What is he supposed to do, turn Volvos into F1 cars and make them win the grand prix?

We had a team of stars in the early 90s. We had a team of stars in the mid/late 2000s. So of course we can play 'the Geelong way.' What that is, is anyone's guess, because through the 90s the Geelong way seemed to be 'attractive without actually winning the title.'

What are these disgusting comments? My guess is "I don't agree with that" has been taken far more personally than it probably should have been.

Rollling over into Part 5....that 50k posts people

Proves that you can have the highest winning % of any coach in the history of the game for over 200 games coached and still talk in circles about it..

Bring on 60k!!

Go Catters

At what stage should we start taking suggestions for the 'Part VI' title?

Something like, "Just like Michael Myers, this thread never really dies"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you could somehow integrate it into a debate over a particular Cats fringe player, you could go with "This time its Parsonal."
Love it

Back to the coaching side of things...
I wonder if the influence/information from Grigg has had some effect on how we play. Definitely more pressure around the ball.
The 'keepings off stuff' seems a bit like something Scott might have instigated and that, ironically, is the type of strategy that may come unstuck in a finals type game.

I wonder if the influence/information from Grigg has had some effect on how we play. Definitely more pressure around the ball.
The 'keepings off stuff' seems a bit like something Scott might have instigated and that, ironically, is the type of strategy that may come unstuck in a finals type game.

Keepings off has two dynamics to it though. How often do we see on blooper reels etc when someone does an innocent looking backwards pass to a teammate, it gets picked off and costs a team a goal? I would wager that in 95 per cent of those instances, it happens when a team is just searching to buy itself some time and get itself out of trouble. What I like about our current version of the short kick game is that we revert to it at stages when we have the ascendency momentum wise and we are using it as an attacking weapon rather than a defensive one. It's working at the moment because it is being used at stages when we are on top and opponents are seeking to defend rather than to press up and pick off any potential mistakes.

ABCS
Anybody But Chris Scott?
Grigg, straight out of nappies as a coach, not to denigrate him at all, but really?

ABCS
Anybody But Chris Scott?
Grigg, straight out of nappies as a coach, not to denigrate him at all, but really?
He came with insider knowledge of a game plan that has won several premierships. Not ABCS, just speculating. We would be crazy not to pick his brains. If that were the case then plaudits to Scott for implementing those changes
If you want to take the monocular view of that comment then so be it.

Keepings off has two dynamics to it though. How often do we see on blooper reels etc when someone does an innocent looking backwards pass to a teammate, it gets picked off and costs a team a goal? I would wager that in 95 per cent of those instances, it happens when a team is just searching to buy itself some time and get itself out of trouble. What I like about our current version of the short kick game is that we revert to it at stages when we have the ascendency momentum wise and we are using it as an attacking weapon rather than a defensive one. It's working at the moment because it is being used at stages when we are on top and opponents are seeking to defend rather than to press up and pick off any potential mistakes.
I think we also use it to sap energy from the other team while at the same time conserving energy.

Everyone knows this thread really takes off in grand final week... well, those of us who stick around do.

For the record... who was the coach with the most wins previously? It had to be someone. Jeans? Smith?

All I know is I still remember the day we signed Scott like it was yesterday. So much excitement. Was this the man to take us to that elusive "most wins coached" milestone?

We could only dream.

He came with insider knowledge of a game plan that has won several premierships. Not ABCS, just speculating. We would be crazy not to pick his brains. If that were the case then plaudits to Scott for implementing those changes
If you want to take the monocular view of that comment then so be it.
Let's reserve judgement til we play the Tigers- they are clear favourites in most peoples' eyes. I see CS's Cats doing what they have done for years, but with a few players really stepping up this year= player maturity rather than Grigg having an influence, but I take your point

Remove this Banner Ad

Back