VFL to merge with NEAFL, under-18 comps revamped in massive changes to AFL’s second tier

Remove this Banner Ad

Southport Sharks might be the only stand alone NEAFL team that could afford the travel expenses. Would be interesting to see them mix it up with VFL teams.

The AFL pays NEAFL travel currently, I can't see why they'd stop paying roughly the same here.

why not just go a full national reserves comp

Youre already going most of the way there. Would players develop more travelling to play Fremantle/West Coast/Port Adelaide, or playing a home game against Port Melbourne?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where's all the Northern club supporters?!?!

They've gotten their wish.

Revamp of the u/18 comp and state leagues, with the AFL specifically stating it's to create an even playing field for girls and boys and their pathways with Victorian kids.

So are we going to see the Northern clubs abolish their academies now? Surely?! We've been told that in the event of this they would the whole time?

What are the academies actually doing now? The Victorian football competitions are now directly developing their players.

Yeah right, over their dead bodies............

Few key points to this imho;

(in no particular order)

1) list sizes WILL NOT be cut. Local players will need to take time off work and with the amount of injuries soe teams have had this year, AFL clubs are not going to spend to send half an AFL listed team interstate.

2) You would think that only the rich state league clubs would be able to afford this. From a VFL point of view, that is going to rule out Frankston, Port Melbourne (despite there rich VFL history),

3) How will the fixturing work? Surely curtain raisers will be played at the ground of the seniors?

------

4) The NAB league is going to be great but once again, how will fixturing work along with funding?

5) I like the idea, surely its time the NAB league puts it hand out and gets sponsorship in and these kids go into a college style league. May as well get these kids who are already in a semi professional environment (some for up to 5 years already) developed further with the travel side of things as well?

6) the U17 & U19 leagues is brilliant. Feel that a lot of overlooked kids will try out again and should produce a better standard of football for the league. Will teams tank and use it like they have as an U18 team anyways? only time will tell there.

Overall, I like the concept. Not sure it is sustainable long term but one worth taking a look at.

Where's all the Northern club supporters?!?!

They've gotten their wish.

Revamp of the u/18 comp and state leagues, with the AFL specifically stating it's to create an even playing field for girls and boys and their pathways with Victorian kids.

So are we going to see the Northern clubs abolish their academies now? Surely?! We've been told that in the event of this they would the whole time?

What are the academies actually doing now? The Victorian football competitions are now directly developing their players.

Yeah right, over their dead bodies............

are you in touch with developing a truly national comp.?
Developing States need academies at the junior level to get the talent UNLIKE heartland States with long established junior comps.
Heartland clubs dont need 1st dibs on the kids the junior kids, they should go into the draft.

They were due to join the VFL next year, so I actually think they would.
I don't think they'll join without some sort of indication from the AFL that a Tassie team is on the horizon, which is very unlikely now.

I interpreted Peter Gutwein's strong stance on no footy in Tassie as a big * you to the AFL. Hopefully I am pleasantly surprised though.

The Tasmanian government is definitely happy to spend the money to get an AFL team, but not so much a VFL team unless it's a pathway to something bigger

A VFL team, why would anyone follow it, just another sop to Vic footy, a fair dinkum waste of money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back