Memberships 2020 St.Kilda Membership Thread (FINAL TALLY - 48,775)

Remove this Banner Ad

Need to get something off my chest here. Will probably delete later, but just pissed off and wanted to vent anonymously on the internet.

For context, next year is my 25th consecutive as a member. Made more then one donation to the club over the years. Also pay for my young nephews, and have for many years. Now I get membership isn't everything, and people support in the best way they can. Just some context that the following is hardly coming from someone who discovered AFL 2 minutes ago.

Signed the kids up again this year. No games of course - happy for the donation to the club.

Was informed by the club that the kids packs they normally get (scarves, toys etc) are not available to be sent this year. I completely understand supply chain issues in the current environment. That is beyond the clubs control, and I am sure the staff on jobkeeper have better things to do then create something from the stock already sitting at Moorabbin.

In lieu of this, I asked if something else could be done for the kids. Just some sort of token gesture. The memberships person said they could potentially arrange a phone call or video from one of the players to the kids to say thanks. I said great. Any player. Any time. Just something to help keep them engaged. Yes we get very little out of a membership in 2020, but that shows the club actually makes some effort to say thanks.

I just received a follow up email saying that unfortunately the club is not able to assist in anyway due to current circumstances.

So 45 players on a list. Living in a hub. More than 20 not playing weekly. Not one has the time to make a 5 minute call to 2 kids? Not tomorrow. Anytime in the next 3 - 6 months will do. Doesn't have to be a favourite like Steele or Max. Any bloody player would get them excited. I know we have 40k+ members, but seriously? This is really where the club wants to draw the line for unavailability?

At this point I am just thinking that f**k I didn't tell them it might happen. Poor things would be absolutely crushed! At the very least, those selling memberships should 100% stop suggesting this could happen. What if some parent mentions a possible call to their kids, and then this happens? I get it wasn't guaranteed. We are adults and can get our heads around the real world. But how the hell do you explain to a 6yo that a player is too busy for them?

More importantly, that's it from the club in terms of communication. A thank you for your $$ email to an adult. No offer of perhaps x,y,z for the kids instead. I get the players are busy. I get the staff are busy and stressed. But no thought of "even though players are unavailable we could (insert idea here)" for the kids (not me). Yes the club needs money to survive, but wrong priority guys.

As someone who runs my own business in the Bayside area, that is seriously f**kin average.

I know most people are probably going to jump in and say I am whinging. I should just support the club and expect nothing in return. That the $$ were essentially given as a donation, and people shouldn't give expecting they will get anything in return

I guess with all of the noise about new leadership and a new direction at the club, I just thought it might be different somehow. In hindsight, I really just wish I had given the donation to somebody out feeding the homeless during the pandemic. Rather then a multi-million dollar football club that treats people the same as any other giant company out there (that we all deal with all the time, and are always left feeling like a number and not a person). I know their focus is on the field and they don't really give a f**k about supporters. I am hardly that naive. Just sucks to be reminded of it.

Anyway, as I say I will probably pull this down later. Times are rough at the moment, and it probably breaks forum rules about sh*tcanning the club.

But IMO, this was pretty bloody average. The club can, and IMO should, be better then that.

That sucks, hopefully the club can sort something out.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Need to get something off my chest here. Will probably delete later, but just pissed off and wanted to vent anonymously on the internet.

For context, next year is my 25th consecutive as a member. Made more then one donation to the club over the years. Also pay for my young nephews, and have for many years. Now I get membership isn't everything, and people support in the best way they can. Just some context that the following is hardly coming from someone who discovered AFL 2 minutes ago.

Signed the kids up again this year. No games of course - happy for the donation to the club.

Was informed by the club that the kids packs they normally get (scarves, toys etc) are not available to be sent this year. I completely understand supply chain issues in the current environment. That is beyond the clubs control, and I am sure the staff on jobkeeper have better things to do then create something from the stock already sitting at Moorabbin.

In lieu of this, I asked if something else could be done for the kids. Just some sort of token gesture. The memberships person said they could potentially arrange a phone call or video from one of the players to the kids to say thanks. I said great. Any player. Any time. Just something to help keep them engaged. Yes we get very little out of a membership in 2020, but that shows the club actually makes some effort to say thanks.

I just received a follow up email saying that unfortunately the club is not able to assist in anyway due to current circumstances.

So 45 players on a list. Living in a hub. More than 20 not playing weekly. Not one has the time to make a 5 minute call to 2 kids? Not tomorrow. Anytime in the next 3 - 6 months will do. Doesn't have to be a favourite like Steele or Max. Any bloody player would get them excited. I know we have 40k+ members, but seriously? This is really where the club wants to draw the line for unavailability?

At this point I am just thinking that f**k I didn't tell them it might happen. Poor things would be absolutely crushed! At the very least, those selling memberships should 100% stop suggesting this could happen. What if some parent mentions a possible call to their kids, and then this happens? I get it wasn't guaranteed. We are adults and can get our heads around the real world. But how the hell do you explain to a 6yo that a player is too busy for them?

More importantly, that's it from the club in terms of communication. A thank you for your $$ email to an adult. No offer of perhaps x,y,z for the kids instead. I get the players are busy. I get the staff are busy and stressed. But no thought of "even though players are unavailable we could (insert idea here)" for the kids (not me). Yes the club needs money to survive, but wrong priority guys.

As someone who runs my own business in the Bayside area, that is seriously f**kin average.

I know most people are probably going to jump in and say I am whinging. I should just support the club and expect nothing in return. That the $$ were essentially given as a donation, and people shouldn't give expecting they will get anything in return

I guess with all of the noise about new leadership and a new direction at the club, I just thought it might be different somehow. In hindsight, I really just wish I had given the donation to somebody out feeding the homeless during the pandemic. Rather then a multi-million dollar football club that treats people the same as any other giant company out there (that we all deal with all the time, and are always left feeling like a number and not a person). I know their focus is on the field and they don't really give a f**k about supporters. I am hardly that naive. Just sucks to be reminded of it.

Anyway, as I say I will probably pull this down later. Times are rough at the moment, and it probably breaks forum rules about sh*tcanning the club.

But IMO, this was pretty bloody average. The club can, and IMO should, be better then that.
Just read this E_A. That is really piss poor from the club. Makes you feel all this pledge stuff that we did was just taken for granted.
We get lip service from the club by the looks.
I don't have young kids and don't ask anything of the club, but it is not too much to ask.
The players are up at Noosa out of restrictions getting paid a fortune to kick a football. Reckon this stinks.

Good on you George for taking this up. I am sure any player, if they knew would be more than happy to phone the kids, but at a time, when almost all of us gave our money for nothing, to be told this is weak as.

Thats seriously pathetic by the club. Utterly pathetic.

It will get fixed IMO just need the right people to find out.

The manager who made that call seriously needs a talking to. They're living in a bubble.

Oct 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Get some of the frustration directed at the club but I’d also like to think it must be that cooked at the moment the staff wouldn’t know where to do and who to talk to in situations like these. Could be some everyday staffer that thought, gee it’s just too hard to find the right person to ask that question too, I guarantee you if that came across the table of any of the leadership or coaching group they would without hesitation pick up the phone.

Totally agree a quick call to the kids would be fantastic and should be done more often.

Oct 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Get some of the frustration directed at the club but I’d also like to think it must be that cooked at the moment the staff wouldn’t know where to do and who to talk to in situations like these. Could be some everyday staffer that thought, gee it’s just too hard to find the right person to ask that question too, I guarantee you if that came across the table of any of the leadership or coaching group they would without hesitation pick up the phone.

Totally agree a quick call to the kids would be fantastic and should be done more often.

When was this email about free upgrades? I haven't seen it.

It was mentioned in the Bassett letter........

Hi ****,

It is with tremendous pride that I write to you tonight to announce our club has surpassed its all-time membership record.

As of yesterday, we were sitting just above 47,000 members, beyond the previous record of 46,301 set in 2018, and many more than the 43,000 members who signed on last season.

To achieve this milestone at a time when our whole community has faced such hardship is incredibly heartening, and as I have said before, I am so proud to belong to such a passionate and loyal tribe.

In recognition of this incredible support, the club will provide every member who is signed up for a 2020 membership before the end of August the opportunity to upgrade their membership free of charge in 2021.

Whether this means a chance to attend more Saints games, an enhanced vantage point at Marvel Stadium or priority access to tickets, we hope this offer expresses our sincere gratitude and acknowledges your commitment.

More details will follow, and we ask for your patience as we work to communicate with you more specifically about your 2021 membership options.

The club originally set about securing 50,000 members this season and – despite the obvious obstacles – this ambitious target remarkably remains within reach.

Signing another 3,000 members in the next month would seem impossible to many people, but I am getting used to seeing Saints supporters rise above the odds.

The impact of COVID-19 on the football season has been enormous. From the first lockdown and the postponement of the season to the reality that many would not be able to see games in 2020 and now Victoria’s second lockdown, your response throughout has been staggering.

Thousands of you have pledged your membership. Some have generously reached out to purchase a membership for those unable to continue with their payments, ensuring that we have held on to every single member. We have added 4,000 new members since March and more than $200,000 has been donated to the club. Amazing in such difficult times!

These contributions will go a long way to ensuring the club limits the financial damage of COVID-19 and allows us to emerge in 2021 in a position to really challenge the best in the competition on and off the field.

The support from St Kilda people has been humbling and inspiring for our players, coaches and hardworking staff who remain part of a skeleton workforce.

It has been exciting to see the team start to come together under Brett Ratten. We know there is still much work to be done to become a genuine contender, but the clear improvement this year from what is still a relatively young and inexperienced team has been encouraging. We are playing with great spirit and have proved that our best football can compete with anyone. We are now striving to deliver on a more consistent basis.

We look forward to undertaking this journey together, and riding the highs and lows over the coming months and years ahead with the same unique bond that has helped us through the first six months of 2020.

For our Victorian members, we hope you and your families remain safe and well during the next period of restrictions.

For our other members across Australia who have been in full voice at recent matches, thank you for representing the club with such passion.

Warm regards,

Andrew

It was mentioned in the Bassett letter........

Hi ****,

It is with tremendous pride that I write to you tonight to announce our club has surpassed its all-time membership record.

As of yesterday, we were sitting just above 47,000 members, beyond the previous record of 46,301 set in 2018, and many more than the 43,000 members who signed on last season.

To achieve this milestone at a time when our whole community has faced such hardship is incredibly heartening, and as I have said before, I am so proud to belong to such a passionate and loyal tribe.

In recognition of this incredible support, the club will provide every member who is signed up for a 2020 membership before the end of August the opportunity to upgrade their membership free of charge in 2021.

Whether this means a chance to attend more Saints games, an enhanced vantage point at Marvel Stadium or priority access to tickets, we hope this offer expresses our sincere gratitude and acknowledges your commitment.

More details will follow, and we ask for your patience as we work to communicate with you more specifically about your 2021 membership options.

The club originally set about securing 50,000 members this season and – despite the obvious obstacles – this ambitious target remarkably remains within reach.

Signing another 3,000 members in the next month would seem impossible to many people, but I am getting used to seeing Saints supporters rise above the odds.

The impact of COVID-19 on the football season has been enormous. From the first lockdown and the postponement of the season to the reality that many would not be able to see games in 2020 and now Victoria’s second lockdown, your response throughout has been staggering.

Thousands of you have pledged your membership. Some have generously reached out to purchase a membership for those unable to continue with their payments, ensuring that we have held on to every single member. We have added 4,000 new members since March and more than $200,000 has been donated to the club. Amazing in such difficult times!

These contributions will go a long way to ensuring the club limits the financial damage of COVID-19 and allows us to emerge in 2021 in a position to really challenge the best in the competition on and off the field.

The support from St Kilda people has been humbling and inspiring for our players, coaches and hardworking staff who remain part of a skeleton workforce.

It has been exciting to see the team start to come together under Brett Ratten. We know there is still much work to be done to become a genuine contender, but the clear improvement this year from what is still a relatively young and inexperienced team has been encouraging. We are playing with great spirit and have proved that our best football can compete with anyone. We are now striving to deliver on a more consistent basis.

We look forward to undertaking this journey together, and riding the highs and lows over the coming months and years ahead with the same unique bond that has helped us through the first six months of 2020.

For our Victorian members, we hope you and your families remain safe and well during the next period of restrictions.

For our other members across Australia who have been in full voice at recent matches, thank you for representing the club with such passion.

Warm regards,

Andrew

Thanks!

Based on the description above I doubt its a decision by an individual ground floor staffer given the initial response was they could do it.

It sounds like the staffer passed it on to someone of authority in the membership dept only to be shut down. Question is at what point did it get shut down. Was it the membership team? Or did it go to whom ever organises player engagements who shut it down? Was it the players them selves or some bullshit agreement they have?

It doesn't take a genius to work out the predicament all businesses are in now and how you have to go the extra mile to find things to keep your customers happy in really tough times. Like seriously. If the membership team staffer can get it. Why cant the person who the request was given to get it?

They feel so far removed from the real world its not funny.

I'm confident that if this came across Matt Finnis desk he'd fix it in an instant because he's not an idiot. He gets it. He understands what people are going through.

Aug 25, 2008
Aisle 38
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
LFC, #DubNation, Storm
Anyone else get the membership survey, asking about the "Saints Pass"??

I didnt, but my 4 year old son did, so I answered on his behalf.

Generally another fluff survey from AFL House about "value-add" to memberships for next year, but I saw a reference to the "Danny Frawley Centre", which sounded like the Gym and pool at Moorabbin. Is this an official thing, has it been announced??

Anyone else get the membership survey, asking about the "Saints Pass"??

I didnt, but my 4 year old son did, so I answered on his behalf.

Generally another fluff survey from AFL House about "value-add" to memberships for next year, but I saw a reference to the "Danny Frawley Centre", which sounded like the Gym and pool at Moorabbin. Is this an official thing, has it been announced??

I have every year except this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but I saw a reference to the "Danny Frawley Centre", which sounded like the Gym and pool at Moorabbin. Is this an official thing, has it been announced??
That's the 1,000 seat grandstand and Aquatic centre.

It was all systems go ....and then COVID hit.

The original plan was to have it completed prior to this years AFLW season......it was then decided to hold off.........and not have the South-West end of RSEA a construction zone....... until all the games at RSEA were completed.

All the construction huts were in place........then COVID hit and the huts were taken away.

Last I heard was Matt Finnis saying that if all goes well......and who knows with things at the moment.....they'll begin construction in October.

Of course with all things financial in the up in the air.......this may not be a given.

I'm hoping that it may happen as the state govt is keen to get as much construction going once the current storm passes.

blktreacle

Club Legend
May 14, 2013
UK
AFL Club
St Kilda
That's the 1,000 seat grandstand and Aquatic centre.

It was all systems go ....and then COVID hit.

The original plan was to have it completed prior to this years AFLW season......it was then decided to hold off.........and not have the South-West end of RSEA a construction zone....... until all the games at RSEA were completed.

All the construction huts were in place........then COVID hit and the huts were taken away.

Last I heard was Matt Finnis saying that if all goes well......and who knows with things at the moment.....they'll begin construction in October.

Of course with all things financial in the up in the air.......this may not be a given.

I'm hoping that it may happen as the state govt is keen to get as much construction going once the current storm passes.
Its the sort of project the governmnetwould want up and running in the early stages after lockdown. Would generate a couple of hundred jobs and indirectly positively affect local businesses. Would be a 6 month boon for the moorabin shopping precinct.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Glorious One

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Thats seriously pathetic by the club. Utterly pathetic.

It will get fixed IMO just need the right people to find out.

The manager who made that call seriously needs a talking to. They're living in a bubble.
Mate there's basically no staff at Moorabbin, they've all been made redundant. Normally I'd agree with Animal, but not under these circumstances, we are in a major crisis, don't be sucked in by the fact that the AFL is running, they are hemorrhaging cash everywhere. We all have to suck it up, including Animal.

Mate there's basically no staff at Moorabbin, they've all been made redundant. Normally I'd agree with Animal, but not under these circumstances, we are in a major crisis, don't be sucked in by the fact that the AFL is running, they are hemorrhaging cash everywhere. We all have to suck it up, including Animal.

Right. OK.

Last edited:
The membership figure as of 10.30 this morning was:

The guy I was speaking to advised that when the count is cut off at the end of Aug.......it appears that only 2 Melb clubs will break their 2019 number.....us and the Bloos.

He suspects that we will have the biggest % increase.

Also....the Indigenous round jumpers have sold out....the merch guy told me that once the club was aware that we would have them for the round......and then advertised that....they sold like absolute hot cakes.

They looked awesome.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I love the way st c hears a complaint and is straight onto it being pathetic by the club. Yes mistakes are unfortunate but we have 50k members but more importantly bugger all staff working in the weirdest time in the sports history. For gods sake just understand the situation before you do the normal have a go at the club at any cost gig. Common give them a go for once.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back