Is GWS's premiership window about to close?

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious question - isn't there some link between teams getting belted on grand final day and then having a terrible year the next year?
What do you consider a belting in a Grand Final? Perhaps 10+ goals?

2019 - Richmond def. GWS by 89 points
2020 - GWS are currently in 9th place on the ladder

2014 - Hawthorn def. Sydney by 63 points
2015 - Sydney finished 4th on the ladder

2007 - Geelong def. Port Adelaide by 119 points
2008 - Port Adelaide finished 13th on the ladder

2000 - Essendon def. Melbourne by 60 points
2001 - Melbourne finished 11th on the ladder

So in the last 20 years we've seen four 10+ goal beltings in Grand Finals. Sydney in 2015 was the one team to buck the missing finals trend.

What do you consider a belting in a Grand Final? Perhaps 10+ goals?

2019 - Richmond def. GWS by 89 points
2020 - GWS are currently in 9th place on the ladder

2014 - Hawthorn def. Sydney by 63 points
2015 - Sydney finished 4th on the ladder

2007 - Geelong def. Port Adelaide by 119 points
2008 - Port Adelaide finished 13th on the ladder

2000 - Essendon def. Melbourne by 60 points
2001 - Melbourne finished 11th on the ladder

So in the last 20 years we've seen four 10+ goal beltings in Grand Finals. Sydney in 2015 was the one team to buck the missing finals trend.

Yeah interesting. My feeling is that a grand final belting can really rip through a club. People wouldn't admit it at the time, but very hard to come back from it, beginning with the pre-season training.

Even Adelaide in 2017, was not a belting but was a embarrassing loss and they didn't come back from it.

seen their draw?
Five games to go.

Fremantle @ Optus
Carlton @ Metricon
Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval
Melbourne @ Gabba
St Kilda @ TBA

I think I'd only be super confident of one win over the Crows if I was a GWS fan.
  • Fremantle appear to have hit form and should be on a four game winning streak at the moment. I'm backing Freo to get the job down out west.
  • Carlton probably should be a win for the Giants but it's dependent on which GWS outfit shows up that day and if the Blues are serious about playing finals this year.
  • Mark Adelaide down as a win for the Giants.
  • Melbourne have been pretty good lately and will likely be playing to keep their season alive in round 17 so that is far from an easy fixture.
  • St Kilda should beat the Giants.
At a minimum, the Giants will have to go 3-2 and really build their percentage to have a shot at making the finals IMO. A loss to Fremantle this Saturday and suddenly it starts to look like mission impossible for the Giants because they need to at least win 3 of their last 4 with Carlton, Melbourne and St Kilda all still battling it out for finals spots. GWS's season is teetering right now and they really can't afford to leave their push any later.

I'd say 5 of those 6 games are winnable for GWS.
Id say they will only win one of them.
I know the dogs have a somewhat rivalry with them, but i am still thinking of the prelim with them when JC and Lobbe and Patton were all utensil a hoot when they got up by a few goals in the last quarter and started giving it to Tom Boyd, i hope they keep Cameron and ascend downwards faster then a Sky diver without a parachute.

A new coach could open that window by next year. More than enough talent to win it, absolutely no system, consistent effort, heart or taking advantage of their strengths. All things that a great coach could fix. If GWS aren't putting the majority of their soft cap to send a godfather offer to Clarkson then their management is failing the club. The time to strike on that deal is now, hed be very gettable.

Jack Riccardi. What a debut! Nice find by the Giants in last years draft.
That's was a fantastic debut, he was tearing us up. Mobile, good hands, good kick and willing to take the game on and have a red hot crack. Kid has a very bright future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Five games to go.

Fremantle @ Optus
Carlton @ Metricon
Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval
Melbourne @ Gabba
St Kilda @ TBA

I think I'd only be super confident of one win over the Crows if I was a GWS fan.
  • Fremantle appear to have hit form and should be on a four game winning streak at the moment. I'm backing Freo to get the job down out west.
  • Carlton probably should be a win for the Giants but it's dependent on which GWS outfit shows up that day and if the Blues are serious about playing finals this year.
  • Mark Adelaide down as a win for the Giants.
  • Melbourne have been pretty good lately and will likely be playing to keep their season alive in round 17 so that is far from an easy fixture.
  • St Kilda should beat the Giants.
At a minimum, the Giants will have to go 3-2 and really build their percentage to have a shot at making the finals IMO. A loss to Fremantle this Saturday and suddenly it starts to look like mission impossible for the Giants because they need to at least win 3 of their last 4 with Carlton, Melbourne and St Kilda all still battling it out for finals spots. GWS's season is teetering right now and they really can't afford to leave their push any later.

They could win all of them...

Or

They could win one.

Interesting.

Very good side that doesnt have a good system in place, needs to overhaul its coaching department before its too late. Has another 3-4 years to pinch one or two

The Giants' spine is quite poor. They don't really have a forward who can clunk marks without inch perfect delivery and aside from Haynes (who is absolutely elite) their backs aren't much chop either. I find it staggering that they continue to persist with Mumford also

The Giants' spine is quite poor. They don't really have a forward who can clunk marks without inch perfect delivery and aside from Haynes (who is absolutely elite) their backs aren't much chop either. I find it staggering that they continue to persist with Mumford also
We haven't got a ruck. The rest of the spine is Davis, Hayne, Greene and Cameron. Wouldn't call that poor.

Jeremy Cameron won the Coleman last year. 4 of the top 6 most efficient perfomances in terms of entries to scores are the Giants. Forwards in General are fine.

Davis & Taylor missing from the back at the moment. Remember last years finals series when Brisbane ad Collingwood both go on top late and couldnt score cause our backs blanketed them.

The Giants are playing rubbish, but lets not get form confused with ability and list strength,

We were horrendous against the Swans. On the weekend we lost to probably the best team in the comp on their home ground by a couple goals, not ideal, but far from the end of the world.
Before the Swans we won 3 in a row, including beating Richmond.

Closed window? Anyone who has said yes to that in this thread is an out and out idiot.
Our midfield ages on the weekend:

Then We have young kids coming through like Caldwell, Hately and Greene.

Our 3 key forwards are 27, 24 and 20.

Stop with the uneducated rubbish. Anyone who actually pays any attention knows that they have deliberately spread the age profile. Thus ensuring that our window will be open for a long time now.

We were horrendous against the Swans. On the weekend we lost to probably the best team in the comp on their home ground by a couple goals, not ideal, but far from the end of the world.
Before the Swans we won 3 in a row, including beating Richmond.

Like I said I wouldn't be surprised if they don't lose from here on.....and of they do that they will play finals with that list anything can happen.

But the bullshit has to end now.

Closed window? Anyone who has said yes to that in this thread is an out and out idiot.
Our midfield ages on the weekend:

Then We have young kids coming through like Caldwell, Hately and Greene.

Our 3 key forwards are 27, 24 and 20.

Stop with the uneducated rubbish. Anyone who actually pays any attention knows that they have deliberately spread the age profile. Thus ensuring that our window will be open for a long time now.
Compare to Richmonds core midfield for example:

Has a club ever bounced back well from a really bad GF loss?

Happens reasonably often, some clubs struggle (ala Port 07), others bounce back pretty swiftly - West Coast lost badly in 91 and won it in 92 for example.

Geelong got smashed in 1994 and were back in there for another belting in 1995 (bless them).

I still think declarations of GWS’s downfall are premature - they will have a group of guys hitting 28-30 together. Still a few years yet.

The bigger question is probably whether Leon Cameron is the coach to get it done.

Like I said I wouldn't be surprised if they don't lose from here on.....and of they do that they will play finals with that list anything can happen.

But the bullshit has to end now.
If they get it together, they can go on a run,if we play how we played against the swans, we wont win a game. If we play how we played against the Eagles, we'd prob win 3 and run 8th. Hopefully we are better than that.
They aren't playing well this year. But not playing well this year, doesnt write off the next 5 or 6 years where it looks like will have a good list.

Firstly I seriously doubt Clarko goes there next year. Clarko I think will leave the hawks soon but I think he wants to leave the club with a good future to build off. I think he will stick around for another 2 years and really train up Sam Mitchell and get some young players in so it is not a mess for Mitchell.

Regarding the giants, a poster I feel hit the nail on the head. They play non accountable football. It’s ironic as the giants in 2016 had a really well defined team with set roles and since then it’s like the have no set structure FWD wise or any dare.

First problem is they have way to many one pace midfielders, Tom Greene, Conoglio, Ward, Taranto & Hopper are good players but don’t offer any versatility nor any pace. Those 5 Mids don’t include Toby Greene and Josh Kelly who 2 me are there best 5 Mids.
Most teams have set roles:

Who are Giants small cowards: Greene is great but Daniels & Lloyd aren’t winning anything.
Who is the power forward. Himmelberg and Cameron are great but are CHFs they really need a power forward shame they lost Lobb and Patton with injuries as I feel they made them a better side when fit.

There key talls are good but who is the driver of Half Back. Williams is great and can play in the midfield but with the amount of injuries he has had I certainly wish they had more players like him besides Shaw. Also aware they have Whitfield but to me he can’t defend so he becomes a liability in the back half.

Gut running wingers. Who are they?? Just feels they Chuck guys like Cogs and Ward there without offering any of the same skills.

It’s funny because if you go back to that 16 team they never lost the big names e.g. Patton, Lobb, Wilson, Dev Smith,Scully, Shiel, Patfull etc yet each one of those guys played a role they never fully replaced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back