Rising Star 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

A few people in the media make some good points, if this was awarded on Brownlow votes or coaches votes, Rowell would win.

I don't think 3 games should preclude him, he's had more best on grounds than any other eligible player this year.

I don't think they will award it to him though and will take the view he's still eligible to win it next year.

He will certainly get some votes though.

So apparently Serong has alot of natural aggression for the contest. Why is it always the diminutive players of the Afl have this skill set, while alot of the big men fail in this regard?

A few people in the media make some good points, if this was awarded on Brownlow votes or coaches votes, Rowell would win.

I don't think 3 games should preclude him, he's had more best on grounds than any other eligible player this year.

I don't think they will award it to him though and will take the view he's still eligible to win it next year.

I don't think it is an issue though, you can't win any awards off of 3 games why should this one be different?

I agree he will get some votes but no way he can win it. They judge it more on total output so 5 games and only averaging 1 disposal more than Serong on 9 games just isn’t enough, nor should it be.

Serong or King, Anderson third. Rankine? If it's awarded based on potential, yeah, but I'd have comfortably back from those three, albeit a better highlight reel thus far.

I think longer output is more appropriate for a season award, 3/17 games and no finals probably doesn't justify it.

Hed pretty much be a lock to win it in 2021 youd think though as he'll get a full pre season.

I agree he will get some votes but no way he can win it. They judge it more on total output so 5 games and only averaging 1 disposal more than Serong on 9 games just isn’t enough, nor should it be.

"No way can he win it"

I don't agree with that.

Just because someone misses half of a season doesn't mean they can't win a brownlow or AFLMVP if they were good enough.

3 games is a bridge to far imo, however, it raises the issues with retrospective voting at the end of the year. It brings recency bias and all other sorts of things into the equation.

I personally think the rising star should be awarded to the top coaches votes getter for a first year player.

I don't think it is an issue though, you can't win any awards off of 3 games why should this one be different?
Why CAN'T you win the Rising Star off of 4 games?

Where is the criteria that stipulates you can't?

The level he performed over those first 4 weeks is miles ahead of any of the other eligible players.

He has performed at the highest level this year, and appears to be by far the best from those eligible.

If I was voting, I wouldn't hesitate in giving him maximum votes (unless there is specific criteria to which we are not privy?)

Why CAN'T you win the Rising Star off of 4 games?

Where is the criteria that stipulates you can't?

The level he performed over those first 4 weeks is miles ahead of any of the other eligible players.

He has performed at the highest level this year, and appears to be by far the best from those eligible.

If I was voting, I wouldn't hesitate in giving him maximum votes (unless there is specific criteria to which we are not privy?)
Because a 4 week stretch at a high level may be an outlier. What if he was about to come back to the pack over the next 13 weeks?

obviously if fit he almost certainly wins this by a landslide but we have no way of knowing for sure. He played 3 really great games but that doesn’t mean he was the best player over the course of this year.

Serong or King, Anderson third. Rankine? If it's awarded based on potential, yeah, but I'd have comfortably back from those three, albeit a better highlight reel thus far.
If we do award it on potential, then Rowell wins it streets ahead of any others.

I think it's Serong who'll win it this year. King has been very good, but not quite at the same level as Serong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 3 for me are Serong, Max King and Anderson.
Serong been really strong the last few weeks since getting a full time midfield position.
King has been pretty consistent all year, kicks goals almost every week.
Anderson has almost flew under the radar but has been fantastic for us all year, highlighted by the 26 disposal game against Richmond where he played an absolute blinder for a first year

"No way can he win it"

I don't agree with that.

Just because someone misses half of a season doesn't mean they can't win a brownlow or AFLMVP if they were good enough.

3 games is a bridge to far imo, however, it raises the issues with retrospective voting at the end of the year. It brings recency bias and all other sorts of things into the equation.

I personally think the rising star should be awarded to the top coaches votes getter for a first year player.
Coaches votes is a flawed way to look at it, would make teams getting smashed most weeks hard to poll.

you could have a kid get 20 touches 7 clearances and a goal in a 60 point loss poll 0 votes. In the next game could have someone play a worse game in a win and poll votes.

Unless something huge changes, I can't really see the winner being anyone other than Serong or King. The other nominees, apart from Anderson, are just nowhere near their level this year, despite how impressive some have been. There's others who are yet to be nominated and have had good years (Laitham Vandermeer from the Dogs has been great), but still none of those are on the same level as Serong and King.

2003 right? Yeah he won it that year. However if you look at it from 2007 onwards, there are three non-first year winners in Daniel Hannebery (2010), Daniel Talia (2012) and Jesse Hogan (2015)

Hannebery got a perfect score indicating he was significantly better than the next best (Scully)
Talia beat out Jeremy Cameron due to the fact he was 21 and basically dominated some of the best key forwards in the game including Nick Riewoldt when he got the nomination
It was Hogan vs Cripps for 2015. No first year player got close to them.

Most of the time, a second or third year player needs a significantly better season than the first year player to win it. If it's a line ball decision the judges normally lean to a first year player.
Toby Greene would have won in a canter in 2012 except he was ineligible due to s suspension. From memory it was super minor and a bit controversial at the time. I remember them trotting out Cory McKernan to comment about it at the time, just to rub salt into poor Cory's wounds.

If we do award it on potential, then Rowell wins it streets ahead of any others.

I think it's Serong who'll win it this year. King has been very good, but not quite at the same level as Serong
Rowell definitely, my post was more in response to people who seem to think it's out of Rankine and Serong. Personally, I have him well back from the top 3.

So apparently Serong has alot of natural aggression for the contest. Why is it always the diminutive players of the Afl have this skill set, while alot of the big men fail in this regard?
A lot of big kids are used to playing smaller opposition so they can throw their weight around thinking they are tough. When they come up against men that are bigger and stronger they go to butter

Little guys are use to always being the small one and having to go up against bigger and stronger people, so going from kids to men doesn't bother them as much

Toby Greene would have won in a canter in 2012 except he was ineligible due to s suspension. From memory it was super minor and a bit controversial at the time. I remember them trotting out Cory McKernan to comment about it at the time, just to rub salt into poor Cory's wounds.
same thing happened to Dustin Martin too

Why is everyone championing Rowell so much going off some of the provided logic Fyfe and Ablett would both be
3x Brownlow medalists.
It is was it is I’m sure Rowell will receive all the accolades he deserve if his sustains form for his career.
His years done, we should just be excited about how many gun kids have came through the last 2 years in all areas of the ground.

Most of the time, a second or third year player needs a significantly better season than the first year player to win it. If it's a line ball decision the judges normally lean to a first year player.

Yeah I just think that's a silly idea. They created the criteria, first year/second/third shouldn't matter. It should just be who's had the most good performances.

But that's the AFL criteria. Similar to others here, I think it should just be available to players who have been at most 18 years old that year. If you haven't been 18 or younger for one day of that year, you're ineligible.

Maybe make another award for best mature age recruit, first year and 19+. Name it the Marshall-Wilkie Trophy :grinning:

With the absence of Rowell this years award has turned into the most even, but also most underwhelming year for quite some time.

Because a 4 week stretch at a high level may be an outlier. What if he was about to come back to the pack over the next 13 weeks?

obviously if fit he almost certainly wins this by a landslide but we have no way of knowing for sure. He played 3 really great games but that doesn’t mean he was the best player over the course of this year.
I guess we use different criteria to select a worthy winner of an award for which there is no published criteria...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back