Rising Star 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is everyone championing Rowell so much going off some of the provided logic Fyfe and Ablett would both be
3x Brownlow medalists.
It is was it is I’m sure Rowell will receive all the accolades he deserve if his sustains form for his career.
His years done, we should just be excited about how many gun kids have came through the last 2 years in all areas of the ground.
Because the Brownlow is voted on by the umpires, for each game over the course of the season.

Is the Rising Star based on cumulative output? If so, can you please share that published criteria?

Which is exactly why Rowell should win it.
But what happens next year when someone who is not as highly rated coming in plays 3 outstanding games and gets injured. 3 games is not a big enough sample size to say he IS the best player this year.

But what happens next year when someone who is not as highly rated coming in plays 3 outstanding games and gets injured. 3 games is not a big enough sample size to say he IS the best player this year.
If someone is good enough to be the first player to receive 3 consecutive 10 votes from the coaches since Josh Kennedy in 2012, that's enough for me.

I agree he will get some votes but no way he can win it. They judge it more on total output so 5 games and only averaging 1 disposal more than Serong on 9 games just isn’t enough, nor should it be.
I agree Serong deserves it based on body of work but Rowell's averages are a little misleading given he was taken off 4 minutes into the Geelong game with a dislocated shoulder.

His averages excluding that were 21.2 disposals (12.2 contested, 15.5 effective), 1.5 goals, 6.5 tackles, 4.5 clearances, and 251m gained, to go along with 3 best on grounds and 30 coaches votes.

Kid was leagues above any other first year player.

Rowell can win it next year. If he's injured again next year then that's bad luck.

You obviously can't win awards if you're injured most of the year, otherwise guys like Lockett would have another half dozen Coleman's. It doesn't work like that.

Rowell had three awesome games and up until round four was by far the leader for the Rising Star. But they don't hand out Brownlow's after round 4.

Whomever has the most good performances in the season generally wins.

Rowell can win it next year. If he's injured again next year then that's bad luck.

You obviously can't win awards if you're injured most of the year, otherwise guys like Lockett would have another half dozen Coleman's. It doesn't work like that.

Rowell had three awesome games and up until round four was by far the leader for the Rising Star. But they don't hand out Brownlow's after round 4.

Whomever has the most good performances in the season generally wins.
Again, please explain the criteria for the Rising Star.

Coleman Medal - most goals during home and away season. Clear.

Brownlow - most votes awarded on a 3, 2, 1 basis by the umpires for each game during the home and away season. Clear.

Rising Star - ?????

Going on stats alone, King vs Serong and in which categories they are above average:

King:
Marks inside 50
Contested marks
Tackles inside 50
Contested possessions
Contested possession rate (elite)
Ground ball gets
Goals
Shots at goal
Handballs
Hitouts to advantage

Serong:

Tackles
Pressure acts
Spoils
Contested defence one on ones

And I'd say King has had more influence in more matches so far. I'd be leaning towards King at the moment. But there are still a number of rounds remaining.

Brownlow - most votes awarded on a 3, 2, 1 basis by the umpires for each game during the home and away season. Clear.

Rising Star - ?????
Whoever Kingy has money on.

With the absence of Rowell this years award has turned into the most even, but also most underwhelming year for quite some time.
Interesting. I think this a very decent crop. King, Serong, Rankine and Noah Anderson are all very fine players, the winner will be at least the equal of most winners.

Rising Star - ?????
' The AFL Rising Star is an Australian rules football award presented annually to the player adjudged the best young player in the Australian Football League (AFL) for the year.'

Can't be the best performed player in a season where you play 3 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It should be best first year player so Rowell should be ineligible next year, if he has done enough this year then nothing should prevent him winning. FWIW I don’t think he has done enough.

Also by the end of Rowells career I doubt. Is going to care too much about not winning a rising star award based off a bit of bad luck injury wise.

' The AFL Rising Star is an Australian rules football award presented annually to the player adjudged the best young player in the Australian Football League (AFL) for the year.'

Can't be the best performed player in a season where you play 3 games.
I would adjudge him the best young (eligible) player in 2020, based on what I have seen.

He will also receive the most Brownlow votes, and is still leading all eligible players in the AFLCA Coaches Award.

What makes anyone else better?

Edit - I also notice the criteria you quoted was sourced from wikipedia.

Here is ALL it says on the AFL website:
Screenshot_20200825-184650.jpg

Last edited:
I would adjudge him the best young (eligible) player in 2020, based on what I have seen.

He will also receive the most Brownlow votes, and is still leading all eligible players in the AFLCA Coaches Award.

Playing at a good level for 10+ weeks... He has had the highest peak but 3 weeks of footy is just not enough.

We see players slow down as the season goes on all the time, we have no idea how his season would have gone if he played a full one.

He comes back fit next year and wins it.

Playing at a good level for 10+ weeks... He has had the highest peak but 3 weeks of footy is just not enough.

We see players slow down as the season goes on all the time, we have no idea how his season would have gone if he played a full one.

He comes back fit next year and wins it.
'Playing at a good level for 10+ weeks' - I haven't seen this documented anywhere, can you please point me to it?!?

You won't win a brownlow by having three 40 touch, 10 goal games in a row and then not playing the rest of the season.
You won't be selected all Australian by having three 40 touch, 10 goal games in a row and then not playing the rest of the season.

AFL football is a marathon, the season is long and that's the challenge. Being consistent over the whole year is hard.

A player could debut this week, kick 20 goals in the match and then do his knee and he would have clearly been the best young player but the body of work is minuscule.

You won't win a brownlow by having three 40 touch, 10 goal games in a row and then not playing the rest of the season.
You won't be selected all Australian by having three 40 touch, 10 goal games in a row and then not playing the rest of the season.

AFL football is a marathon, the season is long and that's the challenge. Being consistent over the whole year is hard.

A player could debut this week, kick 20 goals in the match and then do his knee and he would have clearly been the best young player but the body of work is minuscule.
And if a player debuted this week, kicked 20 goals, and didn't play until this season, they would be my 2020 Rising Star given the way I perceive the award.

Again, in the absence of published criteria, a Rising Star can be anything the judges perceive it to be.

If there are 10 judges and they all voted completely independently, I'd expect some will award votes to Rowell, and one or two will give him the maximum votes.

Conversely, if noone votes for Rowell, there is either collusion or specified criteria that we're not privy to.

I was amazed by Rowell's performances this year, and he is the player I am most excited about in the whole competition with regard to how his career will pan out.

That is my perception of a Rising Star.

Rowell could win it in 2020 and then win it again in 2021. Now that would be unique....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back