Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

yoong

Club Legend
May 9, 2013
3,919 km from Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Noticed something interesting on Saturday’s game with Sydney.

After Tabs kicked a goal, the opposition defense tried to put him off his game by constantly bump and pushing him to get him “angry”.

If only they knew :D

An angry and fired up Tabs is good for at least 3 goals a game. With his reputation growing, I’ll expect more of such niggling treatments from oppositions.

The Coleman may actually be a possibility

bushchook

All Australian
Dec 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
His set shot kicking has been unbelievable this year

It was prior to 2017 too. He had 2 years of the yips but previous that was a very accurate shot for goal. Or maybe it's just that when he misses, he tends not to score at all, because the ones that go OOTF or fall short don't count towards goal accuracy stats.

For a guy his size he's also very adept off the ground and doing the round the corner kicks.

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
It was prior to 2017 too. He had 2 years of the yips but previous that was a very accurate shot for goal. Or maybe it's just that when he misses, he tends not to score at all, because the ones that go OOTF or fall short don't count towards goal accuracy stats.

For a guy his size he's also very adept off the ground and doing the round the corner kicks.

I don’t remember that about 2017 but will take your word for it. And yeah, the up the ground work he does is terrific. If he makes AA it will be because of that.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Was BOG for us in this game last year, let's hope he can do it again.

That mark and wheel around the corner by Walters to Hogan is exactly why we need Jesse playing as the last deep forward. So underrated in that area.
Whats funny is that even Cox played in this one alongside Tabs and Hogan. Wasn’t too bad in terms of losing defensive pressure.
Actually this game is perfect example why we need Hogan and Tabs. Can form a dangerous synergy. Walters/Hogan/stabs with a nippy Henry and Fredrick with Schulz/Switter. Not bad at all

Bender571

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Taberners breakout year was that 2017 with Peel

Then 2018 he kept getting stuffed by the rain and eventually got injured

2019 he had his AFL breakout year but got injured 8 games in unfortunately

Now he is staying injury free so far and reaping the rewards

Gun

I think he was close to breaking out in 2018.
Before he got injured against the dogs he averaged 18.6 disposals, 7.1 marks (2.1 contested), 1.4 goals, 6.9 hitouts, 2.6 inside 50's, 5.2 score involvements, and 86 ranking points.

I think an underrated factor in his improvement this year is that Darcy and Lobb have been fit most of the year. This has meant he hasn't had to be a relief ruck, and he can focus purely on being a forward.

greatgatsby

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2010
The Seat of Power
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Washington Commanders, Black Ducks
W
Weird seeing the team play in sunshine

It was a typically perfect warm Canberra winter's day;). Was great heading over the road for a beer with the heave-ho blaring, instead of the Russian marching song that we usually get after GWS have done their business (even that dirge has grown on me though).

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
I tells ya - it gives me the big time irrits when people use ‘crab’ as a term of endearment for Tabs. Does no one see the sad irony that for the longest time ‘Craberner’ was the name he was ‘blessed’ with early in his career when many thought he was utter shyte.
I feel he should be given the utmost respect, and promoted to ‘Graberner’, and the 🦀 be laid to rest.

ilikepotatoes

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Pistons, Glory
I tells ya - it gives me the big time irrits when people use ‘crab’ as a term of endearment for Tabs. Does no one see the sad irony that for the longest time ‘Craberner’ was the name he was ‘blessed’ with early in his career when many thought he was utter sh*te.
I feel he should be given the utmost respect, and promoted to ‘Graberner’, and the 🦀 be laid to rest.
Yeah but the tab on a crab shirt is mint.

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
I tells ya - it gives me the big time irrits when people use ‘crab’ as a term of endearment for Tabs. Does no one see the sad irony that for the longest time ‘Craberner’ was the name he was ‘blessed’ with early in his career when many thought he was utter sh*te.
No way. Then we lose the Crustacean brothers.
Big Crab and the Lobb(ster)

Retzlaff

Club Legend
Jun 8, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I much prefer this year’s Graberner to the Rehaberner of the previous few years

Troy Cooked It

Senior List
Jul 3, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I feel like he should wear that nickname with a badge of honour now, yes at first it was a fairly demeaning nickname but with his vice-like pincers... wait I mean hands he has made that name his own. Plus as Okinakashi said, we gotta have the Crustacean Bro's up front.

Side note anyone else loving we seem to have some great pairing across the field now? The Bash Bro's- Ryan & Cox, the Crustacean Giants- Lobbster & Craberner, the Fruit & Veg- Brayshaw & Cerra (picks 2&5), the Nugget Crumbers- Crowden & Schultz. Then next year we also gain the Walker Twins and with Young back we can have the Deadly Triplets- Young, Serong, Henry

Back