Past #46: Lachlan Hosie - delisted after 5 NM games/3 NM goals - thanks Hose

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a liability without the ball at the moment, not AFL standard.

The question is whether that can improve enough with more exposure and another pre-season to make it worth keeping him as a backup mid-sized forward.

He's in strife mate.

Has a crack, seems pretty honest, but unfortunately that alone is not enough.

He still played more games for North than I ever did.

The question is whether that can improve enough with more exposure and another pre-season to make it worth keeping him as a backup mid-sized forward.

Could end up being more than just a backup, there's nothing irredeemably awful about him and he does have a quite a few rough edges where you can see some potential. But as you've said it's going to take time and a valuable list spot to find out what he can really be, and with the shape of our list do we really have the patience or ability to give him that time when he's far from a sure thing?

I think we persist. I would love to be able to be at the games in my reserved seat so I could see the full allotment of the field. I have a feeling he is getting to some really good spots when we are going forward but our fwd 50 entries kill him. He can take a grab, has kicked goals in 2/3 games he has played, when he didn’t mark it tonight he brought it to ground front and centre in a big contest, generally has good foot skills around the ground.

I know he had a brain fade in the defensive 50 tonight and kicked to 3 on 1 but my gut feel is Shaw wouldn’t be dirty on him for that and just pleased one of our boys had the balls to switch or look to go back in the corridor with a scent of risk. Few times he was a split second off doing something special Infront of goal too on a few occasions, could have been a bit more selfish on another too, if it can all come together for him in the next game or two we could be on to something. Jack Mahoney took a few games for his tricks to stick, hopefully the same occurs for Hosie

I know he had a brain fade in the defensive 50 tonight and kicked to 3 on 1 but my gut feel is Shaw wouldn’t be dirty on him for that and just pleased one of our boys had the balls to switch or look to go back in the corridor with a scent of risk.

Nah that's fine. You absolutely cop that happening every now and again from a player with so little experience (unless you've told them in no uncertain terms to play it safe). It's when a bloke is at 100+ games and does that once or twice a game that you start to get antsy.

Nah that's fine. You absolutely cop that happening every now and again from a player with so little experience (unless you've told them in no uncertain terms to play it safe). It's when a bloke is at 100+ games and does that once or twice a game that you start to get antsy.

We have had 3 or 4 blokes over the last 10 years week in week out consistently do this s**t. We had no game plan tonight, we had no run and carry, we couldn’t move the ball at all. When Hosie went in board when he did it was actually refreshing to see someone give something a go

We have had 3 or 4 blokes over the last 10 years week in week out consistently do this sh*t. We had no game plan tonight, we had no run and carry, we couldn’t move the ball at all. When Hosie went in board when he did it was actually refreshing to see someone give something a go
It was a bad option but might have worked in the comp's he is used to. Can't knock him for that (tho I did at the time). Provided he learns.

I think he starts well and fades cos he doesn't have AFL match fitness like some of our players his age. That may come next year.

At the same time we have Zurhaar, Ziebell, Thomas, Taylor and the likes of Higgo, Cunners, Scott, LDU, Anderson and Jy who have all taken contested marks in the forward line. So he may not get next year to develop that match fitness.

Jesz, I might be alone, but I've thought he's shown something. This thread has surprised me a little bit.

Presented well, been tough when needed, his disposal up the ground has actually been good, going at a goal a game.....

He's certainly no athletic behemoth, but I'd still be interested to see him with a bit more physical development.

I'm prepared to have a bit more of a look at him before making judgement.

He's got a teammate playing the same role in his 8th year on the list who he's quite clearly outperformed in each of the games he's played so far.

It's also not as if Tarryn, Zurhaar, Curtis' or Mahoney's numbers have blown his off the park this year either. Fairly similar in all honesty.

Jesz, I might be alone, but I've thought he's shown something. This thread has surprised me a little bit.

Presented well, been tough when needed, his disposal up the ground has actually been good, going at a goal a game.....

He's certainly no athletic behemoth, but I'd still be interested to see him with a bit more physical development.

He's got a teammate playing the same role in his 8th year on the list who he's quite clearly outperformed in each of the games he's played so far.

He takes that hanger at half back that he dropped and we probably look at his game far more positively IMO.

He competes well for his size. Could be seen many times chasing tail while our beloved Cam Z was having a nice brisk walk, too.

I'm not sure what to think of him but I wouldn't have him at the front of the queue to be delisted.

It's also not as if Tarryn, Zurhaar, Curtis' or Mahoney's numbers have blown his off the park this year either. Fairly similar in all honesty.

He flat out panicked on two occasions that I saw, and his ball handling skills were ordinary.

Look at it this way mate, if you couldn't pick the age between Mahony and Hosie, then which one would you assume to be 24 and the other 18?

Lachlan is welllll back in the small forward pecking order, and his ceiling isn't that much higher.

He flat out panicked on two occasions that I saw, and his ball handling skills were ordinary.

Look at it this way mate, if you couldn't pick the age between Mahony and Hosie, then which one would you assume to be 24 and the other 18?

Lachlan is welllll back in the small forward pecking order, and his ceiling isn't that much higher.

He did, he also hit a diagonal pass through the corridor in the 3rd qtr that barely anyone hit all night.

He did something similar last week also.

He's only 23 in his 3rd game in a night game in QLD, Higgins was kicking floaters all night. I'm not going to crucify him for two turnovers.

If we want to do that, Kyron Hayden should be the first one out the door given the amount of direct turnover goals he's conceded this year......

I'm prepared to give him the rest of the year before making judgement.

He did, he also hit a diagonal pass through the corridor in the 3rd qtr that barely anyone hit all night.

He did something similar last week also.

He's only 23 in his 3rd game in a night game in QLD, Higgins was kicking floaters all night. I'm not going to crucify him for two turnovers.

If we want to do that, Kyron Hayden should be the first one out the door given the amount of direct turnover goals he's conceded this year......

I'm prepared to give him the rest of the year before making judgement.

Okay, but just to clarify, you focused on offensive turnovers, I didn't.

He's in strife mate.

Has a crack, seems pretty honest, but unfortunately that alone is not enough.

He still played more games for North than I ever did.

I'm in this camp at the moment. I still say play him until the end of the year to give him every chance but right now, in a year where we need to be aggressive in list management, he gets a thank you and farewell at the end of the season, not a contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will end up with a list of 14 players with the amount people want to be delisted!

He's probably gone though as his work off the footy is poor (not the only one mind you).

Last edited:
Will play rest of the season only because we're down to the bottom of the barrel. He looked okay last night and wasn't our worst but as said its what he does off the ball defensively that's the problem. The club has dropped polec for the same reason so needs to be better in that regard

So are a litany of others that get games regularly.

Doesn’t have the tank, nor the tricks for me unfortunately - just looks behind the play at not in the right spots to be a dangerous forward for me
Agree.
Intersting mid-season draft selection. If there was one type of player we DIDNT need - it was his type.

Can we trust the NM recruiting staff going forward????
Not much point getting high draft picks if the twits in charge target the wrong type of player.

Agree - I thought he was pretty good. Showed quite a bit.

the only thing from his 2 games is he drops in and out of games. need him to effect the game more consistently. Last week he started off looking alright had a few marks around the ground in the first qtr but then didn't have much by the end of the game. Hoping he can push on this week. defs has the right attitude

Hard position to play in our side that goes long all the time.
Hoise at least Was giving an option up to the wings and taking the game on.
We must have AA players to take his spot at the moment.

He's got some elite attributes but he is a fair way off it and his decision making and pressure don't look AFL standard yet.

What are these elite attributes? All I see is an average footballer trying to take an opportunity to be on the list.

Good luck to him, but he certainly doesn't have a point of difference that makes him stand out.

Unpopular opinion but the kick to Tarrant was on. He just needed to hit it flatter and lead Taz beyond the 50m arc rather than sit it on his head.

Seem to recall the camera panned to that view a few seconds before he kicked it.

In the 'right option, poor execution' quadrant for mine. Risky I know but it is not as though booting it down-the-line or slow switches were getting us anywhere.

Unpopular opinion but the kick to Tarrant was on. He just needed to hit it flatter and lead Taz beyond the 50m arc rather than sit it on his head.

Seem to recall the camera panned to that view a few seconds before he kicked it.

In the 'right option, poor execution' quadrant for mine. Risky I know but it is not as though booting it down-the-line or slow switches were getting us anywhere.

If the talk of Rhyce's expectations about taking the gamebreaking risk are accurate, Lachie should be applauded for trying it. Just needs to rethink next time based on too much risk or poor execution as you say.

We've had too many players for too long who hurriedly make it someone else's problem rather than try to get out of there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back