Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Ninety is a great innings Rob.
When the old boy went through his you have time to reflect a little, no matter what age they are youre never going to be ready for it.
I’ve been lucky enough to get some “bonus” time with him. I’ve tried my hardest to make it as valuable as possible.
It doesn’t have to be anything special, normal things like watching a game of footy together.

He would love nothing more before he goes for The Blues get up in the big one. Now that would be special.

And it’s why this game, and this club, is woven into our DNA.

Thoughts are with you and the family during this time.
Importantly ask questions whilst you still can of their time in life when they were young and can remember back that far.
My sister recorded stuff she asked my Dad before he was too sick to communicate anymore. Some of things he said never knew and would have love to ask about and learn more about but when they gone all that knowledge of family history stuff and amazing details are lost with them gone to pass it on.

Robbo & Aph

What were your thoughts at half time?

The reactions of people there must have been amazing to see when Jezza kicked the last goal that bounced thru.

A friend of mine once told me that he knew a Carlton fan who left the game at half time and went home!

Robbo & Aph

What were your thoughts at half time?

The reactions of people there must have been amazing to see when Jezza kicked the last goal that bounced thru.

A friend of mine once told me that he knew a Carlton fan who left the game at half time and went home!

I was very young at the time and I remember we were 44pts down at half time & I honestly thought were were done.

Then a guy with blonde hair came on after half time & kicked 4 goals. I had no idea who he was at the time.

I also remember Jezza's mark.

The rest is history.

Almost 50 years since the 1970 Grand Final.

Was in attendance.

Was a good day up the top deck of the Olympic stand. Still remember the look of horror on mum's face as the handle on her foam esky snapped on the way up the stairs and drinks , lunches, fruit etc rolled all the way down. The day got better though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon I went to every home and away game in 1970 except for the Melbourne game where Jezza kicked his 100th. We had to visit friends in the Otways and I remember listening to it on 3KZ and hoping that Jezza wouldn't kick the five that he needed. Oh well. The year turned out pretty well though.

Reckon I went to every home and away game in 1970 except for the Melbourne game where Jezza kicked his 100th. We had to visit friends in the Otways and I remember listening to it on 3KZ and hoping that Jezza wouldn't kick the five that he needed. Oh well. The year turned out pretty well though.
Correct me if i'm wrong Frizz, but would 1970 be the only year that Jezza played as a full forward every week. I seem to remember after 70 he played a lot in the midfield and half forward until he put himself at half back.

Correct me if i'm wrong Frizz, but would 1970 be the only year that Jezza played as a full forward every week. I seem to remember after 70 he played a lot in the midfield and half forward until he put himself at half back.
It's kind of funny when your young you don't really notice trends. He did kick 56 or so in 1971 and we had an average year and didn't make the finals. Barass left and big nick changed his role. In 1972 and was more half forward. Kicked 19 goals before the prelim and then kicked 7 in the prelim and 7 in the g/f. I reckon 1971 was his last real year as a full forward apart from the 2 finals on 1972.

It's kind of funny when your young you don't really notice trends. He did kick 56 or so in 1971 and we had an average year and didn't make the finals. Barass left and big nick changed his role. In 1972 and was more half forward. Kicked 19 goals before the prelim and then kicked 7 in the prelim and 7 in the g/f. I reckon 1971 was his last real year as a full forward apart from the 2 finals on 1972.
Jesaulenko was the full foward in 69, 70 & 71, winning the club's goalkicking with 66, 115 and 56 goals. Brian Kekovich was the FF in 67 & 68 but I think he never played for us after the 68 GF. In 1972 we recruited Greg Kennedy, and this allowed Nicholls to move Jesaulenko. Kennedy kicked a lot of goals but then lost form (selected on the reserve bench in the Prelim and dropped for the GF.) After 73 Jesaulenko also spent time in the centre, before finishing his career (with us) on the half back flank.

From the 1970 segment sensational seventies documentary.

Why was Jezza's 99th goal included instead of his 100th in that Ch 7 footage? Hudson's & Mc Kenna's century was included.

Jesaulenko was the full foward in 69, 70 & 71, winning the club's goalkicking with 66, 115 and 56 goals. Brian Kekovich was the FF in 67 & 68 but I think he never played for us after the 68 GF. In 1972 we recruited Greg Kennedy, and this allowed Nicholls to move Jesaulenko. Kennedy kicked a lot of goals but then lost form (selected on the reserve bench in the Prelim and dropped for the GF.) After 73 Jesaulenko also spent time in the centre, before finishing his career (with us) on the half back flank.
I remember Kekovich he could have been a very good full forward. I think he done a knee which he never recovered from.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back