Dylan Grimes and diving - Why the AFL needs to act

Sep 26, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Either that or Grimes is a driving pos? It's laughable he can't just accept he was beaten. Tippa took touch on his back as well but worked away from it and won the ball for a goal. Grimes took it all and dove 3 metres forward through a pack of players contesting the ball in some of the best shooting star stuff I've seen yet.

Was there contact there? Yes, there was. Stringer had his hands in the back of Grimes. Was there much pressure or force? Don't think so, it looks like it was there for touch to control the player, but I wasn't there so can't comment. Grimes took the feel and dove. Period. Simple as that. Just admit it!

I highly doubt opposition fans have turned up to support the courageous Essendon folk out of a deep rooted love for Essendon.

Keep posting Ari its great!

You mean the part where he was hit in the neck?

You mean the part where it was assessed as Hurley staging and was forcefully pushed in the chest? Essendon druggo supporters, living in denial since 2012.

Grimes was in front of Stringer and lost the contest. Period. He then took a dive because he felt touch on his back. Tippa also felt touch on his back but instead of taking a dive he moved his body around the contact and collected the ball. I can post videos, I can slow-mo... I can do all of that. But end of the day, it's last weeks fish n chips and I'm an Essendon supporter and you're a Tiger. The free kick was an instrumental changing point in a game that Richmond should have won anyway just looking at pressure opportunities and points kicked. Checking the long-view footage it's pretty clear what happened. But doesn't matter. It was last week and the Tigers can dive and cheat as they see fit now.

Tribunal disagrees. You don’t even get the moral win now. Unlucky.

Richmond supporters, just admit he took a cheapie and got away with it. Would be a lot more respect involved. Not that anyone is yearning for respect from Essendon.

Essendon supporters just admit you have a team of c grade hack footballers who give away dumb frees.

Must be weird to be so invested and biased to your side that you think arguing against something that clearly happened on a footy forum means anything.
Everyone knows they dived. It's just sad

It must be weird being so invested and biased in your hatred against Richmond that clearly something on a footy forum means anything.
The tribunal saw and ruled the obvious outcome. You’re just a sad poster.

V_23

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Farcical decision. Before the Richmond supporters come in and boast:

1. All teams have players that dive. Yes, even Carlton.
2. Imagine if all players did what Grimes did during a match. So you have 30 incidents identical to that during a match. Would you be okay with that, honestly?

The AFL needs to be really careful, (and this is not just referencing Grimes) because the way the staging is headed in the league, the EPL-style staging is closer than you think. I want the AFL to go even harder on staging, meaning game suspensions, but they appear to be going in the opposite direction.

It's funny because it took Essendon players to coach your mob to a flag after 30 years.

You can thank Richmond for those 4 premierships then if you are to use that ridiculous logic

jc12

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
This is Grimes' third blatant dive in the past 12 months.

At what point does the AFL do something about this? All three were beneficial to his team. Why would any player not go for a dive when it can directly lead to a goal? It is only going to get worse, especially when diving is only cited if there the media makes a big deal of it.

Qual final against Brisbane:

Last month:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he wasn't even cited for this?

Tonight:

Disclaimer: Incoming hate coming for being an Essendon supporter. If it makes you feel better, I know we were almost certainly going to lose tonight for reasons other than the dive.

Lol it was a clear push mate. How blind are you

Jkdyer

BACK POCKET
Jun 26, 2020
PUNT ROAD
AFL Club
Richmond

2. Imagine if all players did what Grimes did during a match. So you have 30 incidents identical to that during a match. Would you be okay with that, honestly?

The AFL needs to be really careful, (and this is not just referencing Grimes) because the way the staging is headed in the league, the EPL-style staging is closer than you think. I want the AFL to go even harder on staging, meaning game suspensions, but they appear to be going in the opposite direction.
Grimes was pushed. Its all in the vision.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond

the bolded is exactly the argument a lot in the media made for grimes and vlastuin not being fined. the fact that it happens many times a game let alone a round, yet only those two got picked out.

eg: if vlastuin was charged, why not hurley
eg: if grimes was charged why not butler

if it was at least adjudicated consistently there wouldnt be nearly the outrage from either side of the discussion.

Back