How would you fix the yips?

Remove this Banner Ad

Watch the angle a lot of our players or when players from other clubs that miss sitters run in. Their flaws are glaring.

To simply justify that they have run 15kms or because they are playing in an AFL match is an excuse for their misses, then you are ignorant.

There was also a good segment on one of the footy shows in the past week showing the likes of Dunstall, Quinlan, Lockett and one or two other beautiful exponents of the set shot and every single one had a simple, fluent set shot routine under similar conditions that you are providing excuses for modern players, none better than this example at 2:17 of this clip:

Look at guys like Buddy, Josh Kennedy and Ben Brown. Plenty of good goal kickers have had average techniques.

FFS boys - if you’re on the set shot and know you’ve got the distance easily covered, stop trying to drill them though hard and flat. Give it some loft. It’s a much more natural action. Why they try to spear it through from close range is beyond me.

Look at guys like Buddy, Josh Kennedy and Ben Brown. Plenty of good goal kickers have had average techniques.
At least with those guys they had a set routine that works for them (maybe not quite Buddy). Western Royboy might be a better be a better person to talk about cricket but even the best bowlers (or batsman) can have strange techniques that dont look standard. But the best ones are very consistent no matter what their routine is

Eric clearly doesnt have a set routine at the moment. Every shot looks different in how he approaches it. He needs to spend proper time working out how to kick the ball.

McCluggage is better with his routine but think he just has the yips at the moment. Think he just needs to get the pressure off his back a bit and he will return to a better average

At least with those guys they had a set routine that works for them (maybe not quite Buddy). Western Royboy might be a better be a better person to talk about cricket but even the best bowlers (or batsman) can have strange techniques that dont look standard. But the best ones are very consistent no matter what their routine is

Eric clearly doesnt have a set routine at the moment. Every shot looks different in how he approaches it. He needs to spend proper time working out how to kick the ball.

McCluggage is better with his routine but think he just has the yips at the moment. Think he just needs to get the pressure off his back a bit and he will return to a better average
It's Stephen Smith's batting technique innit? Zany AF but hey, it seems to work for him.

I'd try and get someone from outside the club to give them a fresh take on it. Someone like Dunstall, or Lloyd. Not sure it's possible given the current climate however.

I used to find the harder I tried to kick a perfect set shot, the more stiff my action felt and the less accurate I was. For me there was a definite sweet spot between being too relaxed and too focused on technique. That’s probably a player to player thing mostly though.

Another thing that I felt affected my kicking was the boots I wore.
A lot of the new boots out there almost looked plastic and always appeared to look skinnier and less surface area around the sweet spot.
I always went for a boot looked wider and flatter around the laces.
Even if just for the mental side of things. Like the puma king Dylan put up or a similar asic.
I reckon a slippery plastic looking boot with a slippery skinnier not so kicked in footy are a recipe for behinds.

I've noticed with the shots running into 50 with a clear go at it guys who used to be reasonably good and reliable are looking to give it off or a short option even if it's deep in the pocket. That moment of indecision can throw your focus off. And sometimes the short option gets swept away or OOB.

It's clearly a coaching instruction but good players who have a clear crack well inside 50 should have a fair chance of nailing it. We need to get our mojo and swagger back and if it's there have a ping.

Bolded bit is so true. I pull my hair out watching Charlie kick a goal and then mark the very next one but hand it off to someone else.

If you're on and converting means you get first dibs at it. Just keep the momentum going.

When I was a kid I used to try and kick it over the goals. The lofted kick seemed to promote a better follow through.

Went searching to see if any clubs used headsets with a set rhythm (like a heartbeat for example) to orient players routine prior to set shots. No particular reason for searching this, I used to study and code with my headset on all my life - I found that later when I sit for exams back in the day, writing an answer sort of oriented my mind to the song I have listened during the prep. Don't know how relevant it is, but it helped me focus big time.

Found this article as well, so many points in comparison to other sports and how routine / practice / technology investments have made a difference along the way. Very interesting read.

Last edited:

Great article.

Great article.

Was just coming here to post the same thing! Detailed, extremly informative and very clarifying. I do think that our forwards still need to improve their conversion but this lays out that the biggest problem we have is that our midfielders have been spraying it.

Was just coming here to post the same thing! Detailed, extremly informative and very clarifying. I do think that our forwards still need to improve their conversion but this lays out that the biggest problem we have is that our midfielders have been spraying it.
I enjoy reading Big Footy and listening to peoples opinions. Often it gives you a different way of looking at situations with different solutions for ways to improve our team performance. That said, I am stunned with the lack of gratitude & appreciation some posters have when it comes to our improvement and results over the last 2 seasons. 2018 we finished equal top of the ladder on points with Geelong which was an enormous effort given we won the wooden spoon in 2017 & 15th place in 2018 yet because we went out is straight sets, posters considered our 2019 year inadequate.
We currently sit equal top of the ladder again this season yet the criticisms our forwards receive by some posters is amazing, unappreciative & very unsubstantiated / disrespectful in my opinion. Now our goalkicking has become our forwards issue regardless of factual stories reported like the one Nunez posted last night...... Really??? Dan McStay, Eric Hipwood & Charlie Cameron have been outstanding performers for the club and the improvement they continue to show is very exciting. I say lets give them more support and respect rather than wanting them dropped because they dont entertain some they way they want to be entertained.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I enjoy reading Big Footy and listening to peoples opinions. Often it gives you a different way of looking at situations with different solutions for ways to improve our team performance. That said, I am stunned with the lack of gratitude & appreciation some posters have when it comes to our improvement and results over the last 2 seasons. 2018 we finished equal top of the ladder on points with Geelong which was an enormous effort given we won the wooden spoon in 2017 & 15th place in 2018 yet because we went out is straight sets, posters considered our 2019 year inadequate.
We currently sit equal top of the ladder again this season yet the criticisms our forwards receive by some posters is amazing, unappreciative & very unsubstantiated / disrespectful in my opinion. Now our goalkicking has become our forwards issue regardless of factual stories reported like the one Nunez posted last night...... Really??? Dan McStay, Eric Hipwood & Charlie Cameron have been outstanding performers for the club and the improvement they continue to show is very exciting. I say lets give them more support and respect rather than wanting them dropped because they dont entertain some they way they want to be entertained.
I’m not sure gratitude and appreciation are the right words you should have used there.

I’m not sure you fully understand fandom then.

I’m sure everyone is ecstatic we are a finals bound team again.

But that doesn’t mean wanting further improvement should be a taboo subject.

I’m sure the coaching staff and players weren’t satisfied with the finish to last season.

Because you haven’t specified which comments about our forwards are unappreciated, unsubstantiated or disrespectful I can’t comment on anything specific there.

But I definitely believe discussion about our poor goal kicking is a valid discussion point. So to certain players performances or roles.

I’ll put my hand up for criticism I have posted about Charlie Cameron, specifically that his apparent attitude and behaviour at times on field has looked very poor.

I believe such discussion is legitimate.

So to is discussion about players goal kicking actions or mental state when discussing the yips.

There is no doubting the fact that we do have the yips.
And this thread was created for discussion about this particular problem.
Personal attacks on players is never called for and some go too far.
But the majority are pretty constructive with their criticism.
But these problems are definitely worth discussing.

There is no doubting the fact that we do have the yips.
And this thread was created for discussion about this particular problem.
Personal attacks on players is never called for and some go too far.
But the majority are pretty constructive with their criticism.
But these problems are definitely worth discussing.
Yes we have an inaccuracy issue in front of goal, I agree 100%. The fact i was referring to was the post Nunez put up last night which clearly states the main offenders are our mids however most focus on BF is pointed to our forwards.

lets be honest that article was alright, but was just a bit of fluff

The problem is accountability. When the forwards think it doesnt matter if they dont perform because of the midfield wave and smalls behind them they underperform

likewise when the midfield wave and smalls are too casual they have proven to underperform

look at Ah Chee's two marks in the first qtr against the bulldogs and the impact it had on the collective psyche, someone wrapped the rope around the crocs mouth

more of the lions need to jump on the crocs head more often

The problem is accountability. When the forwards think it doesnt matter if they dont perform because of the midfield wave and smalls behind them they underperform

likewise when the midfield wave and smalls are too casual they have proven to underperform

look at Ah Chee's two marks in the first qtr against the bulldogs and the impact it had on the collective psyche, someone wrapped the rope around the crocs mouth

Two of our forwards are top ten in the Coleman and we're the second highest scoring team in the AFL after being the highest scoring team last year. McStay is top ten for contested marks and Hipwood had a PB for contested marks on the weekend. I think our teams got to the point where it's a collective effort as opposed to a reliance on any one player having to stand up for us to win.

To use your term - if six players jump on the crocs head once each, that'll have a greater impact than one player doing it four times. ;)

Two of our forwards are top ten in the Coleman and we're the second highest scoring team in the AFL after being the highest scoring team last year. McStay is top ten for contested marks and Hipwood had a PB for contested marks on the weekend. I think our teams got to the point where it's a collective effort as opposed to a reliance on any one player having to stand up for us to win.

To use your term - if six players jump on the crocs head once each, that'll have a greater impact than one player doing it four times. ;)
Whose the 2nd?

Not criticising Mcstay or Hipwood, Im saying when 1 player says im going to stand up and we're going to win that inspires the collective effort.

Thats 100 % my point. Stats & obvious performance measures are considered "a bit of fluff" & no matter how much obvious fact is put in front of some, it has zero influence in continuing the baggings.
I doubt you noticed the block Hippy put of his opponent to allow Callum to take that great mark right near the goals? In the review after the game, that was acknowledged as one of the team efforts that continually occur.

Thats 100 % my point. Stats & obvious performance measures are considered "a bit of fluff" & no matter how much obvious fact is put in front of some, it has zero influence in continuing the baggings.
I doubt you noticed the block Hippy put of his opponent to allow Callum to take that great mark right near the goals? In the review after the game, that was acknowledged as one of the team efforts that continually occur.
It was fluff because it skirted around and said hopefully it's better more often. Groundbreaking

You're right, I didn't notice it, because it didn't happen. Hipwood was jostling with his opponent who wasn't even trying to compete with ah Chee.

It was fluff because it skirted around and said hopefully it's better more often. Groundbreaking

You're right, I didn't notice it, because it didn't happen. Hipwood was jostling with his opponent who wasn't even trying to compete with ah Chee.
The coach's saw it happen and acknowledged it. Blind noise again. Maybe some more fluff from the coaching panel like you see. ;) :think::rolleyes:

I enjoy reading Big Footy and listening to peoples opinions. Often it gives you a different way of looking at situations with different solutions for ways to improve our team performance. That said, I am stunned with the lack of gratitude & appreciation some posters have when it comes to our improvement and results over the last 2 seasons.
So what, we shouldn't point out needed improvements and offer honest opinions because it isn't showing appreciation or gratitude? Strange post. We're allowed to discuss both positives and negatives on a forum. Things have been going well, but I understand when people get frustrated by players butchering shots that you'd expect a professional footballer to make.

Are you reading the minds of our forwards or something? I think this analysis of their psychology is pretty speculative unless you're an insider.

McStay is top ten for contested marks
He isn't, actually.

Screenshot_20200827-185016_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back