VFL to merge with NEAFL, under-18 comps revamped in massive changes to AFL’s second tier

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Are the AFL cutting costs in footy not the social inclusive, non footy stuff ... sure they've off loaded the Media guy but why do they need a media propaganda division.
Footy is what the AFL should be first & foremost.

Theyve cut 20% of staff and reduced the executive too. Like it or not, Media is a fairly big part of sport these days.

Pedantic

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Someone pays for the players, if travelling every fortnight, a job would difficult to find. The top up players for the WAFL teams dont travel. The time involved, the cost is not like intra Melbourne games every weekend.
The AFL are rejigging their costs for savings.

You are right about the WAFL, the faithful only attend & they'd prefer the Eagles didnt have a stand alone team permanently & nothing changed for Freo/Peel.
Oh when you were talking about the second tier you meant this hypothetical AFL reserves not the WAFL/SANFL?

I agree that flying reserves interstate every weekend will cost significant $ but if the AFL is already saying they will pay travel costs for the 14 Eastern clubs' reserves plus potentially a handful of others (Southport, Willy, Port Melbourne) then surely they can do that for all 18 clubs and actually make things logistically similar. Plus you're not paying e.g. Melbourne's reserves to go up and play Southport while the senior teams goes over to Adelaide Oval the same weekend. There would actually be savings in keeping the seniors and reserves together I would have thought.

Tackle Bag

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Apparently the VFL salary cap is going down to $200,000

that does seem a bit low but I have no clue about anything finance related

That’s horribly low if correct.
Compare that to $506000 Cap for each AFLW team for a season half as long.

I could see many blokes walking away to play local footy for slightly less money (Possibly more) but less commitment and less impact on their jobs.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

I could see many blokes walking away to play local footy for slightly less money (Possibly more) but less commitment and less impact on their jobs.

Only a matter of time until the VFL dies anyway.

We need a proper national reserves comp with the best of suburban players playing full time.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Only a matter of time until the VFL dies anyway.

We need a proper national reserves comp with the best of suburban players playing full time.
How would we fund it? AFL rookie listed players are barely on a 'full-time' salary. Not sure that with the current climate of reducing footy spend that you're going to be able to chuck another couple of hundred players on full time books.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

VFL lists, excluding AFL listed players, have been almost completely 25 and under for a while. If the chance to move to the AFL has passed you by, chances are you're heading to a local club and often for more money.

I'm just speculating here, but if the salary cap for suburban comps goes down to $100k p.a. then I could see a league like Ovens and Murray considering their relationship with AFL Vic and just going stand alone, no cap and back to the days of spending $250k + on players. If they were the only league doing it they'd attract some serious talent (which they already do)

Hallstrom

Senior List
Jul 10, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I think a national reserves comp would be the most ideal solution however with things as they are minimizing the amount of travel might need to take priority.

With the reserves i think there needs to be a good balance between;
A) Development (playing against quality opposition)
B) Competition (might as well just play scratch matches if there is nothing to win)

Not sure how this idea would work out and would like to hear perspectives from those in each state:
1) WA and SA teams to field stand alone teams in the WAFL and SANFL respectively (as it is now). I get the impression the standard in these comps is high enough to develop AFL players.
2) All VIC based AFL teams to have a stand alone team and play in a 10 team VFL. Bring back the VFA as the premier suburban Melbourne comp, there are plenty of quality footballers who don't necessarily want a pathway to the AFL, the VFA can give them a home.
3) NSW and QLD to stay in the NEAFL but with a new structure so they play more games against each other and less against the other teams (although looking at last years results only Brisbane really toweled everyone up). Have an AFL pool that play double H&A (12 games) and H&A against the other pool. This will increase the games against like opposition but still have a bit of competition and something to play for.

This means AFL only have NEAFL travel to pay for (as it was last year).
So this plan doesn't really change too much, just gives the NSW and QLD teams some more games against like opposition and brings back the VFA.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
How would we fund it? AFL rookie listed players are barely on a 'full-time' salary. Not sure that with the current climate of reducing footy spend that you're going to be able to chuck another couple of hundred players on full time books.

Its not a couple of hundred, every reserves team is that afl clubs list plus a bunch of top up reserve players on 60k or so

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
VFL lists, excluding AFL listed players, have been almost completely 25 and under for a while. If the chance to move to the AFL has passed you by, chances are you're heading to a local club and often for more money.

I'm just speculating here, but if the salary cap for suburban comps goes down to $100k p.a. then I could see a league like Ovens and Murray considering their relationship with AFL Vic and just going stand alone, no cap and back to the days of spending $250k + on players. If they were the only league doing it they'd attract some serious talent (which they already do)

It depends what the O&M clubs can afford. The salary cap has been met with overwhelming approval throughout suburban and country footy and the attitude of most is “the lower the better”. That’s because the story in most leagues is the same.... there’s a couple of clubs who can usually afford large payrolls, and the rest either get thumped or almost bankrupt themselves trying to keep up.

Except for very few examples clubs are run by extremely part-time volunteers and the job of increasing revenue is very difficult. That’s going to be infinitely harder with the economy in recession and small businesses going to the wall all over the place. Their sponsorship dollars are often the lifeblood of local clubs.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Oh when you were talking about the second tier you meant this hypothetical AFL reserves not the WAFL/SANFL?

I agree that flying reserves interstate every weekend will cost significant $ but if the AFL is already saying they will pay travel costs for the 14 Eastern clubs' reserves plus potentially a handful of others (Southport, Willy, Port Melbourne) then surely they can do that for all 18 clubs and actually make things logistically similar. Plus you're not paying e.g. Melbourne's reserves to go up and play Southport while the senior teams goes over to Adelaide Oval the same weekend. There would actually be savings in keeping the seniors and reserves together I would have thought.

NO the WAFL/SANFL are the second tier, its the mish mash arrangements on the east coast that are in question. e.g local footy is back in the SE corner:https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...-preview-three-months-later-the-qafl-returns/
This all in the context of the AFL saving money.

Mar 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Theyve cut 20% of staff and reduced the executive too. Like it or not, Media is a fairly big part of sport these days.

I think its a bit like cutting the costs of your food budget while leaving your alcohol budget untouched.

You need to cut out the luxury that is the AFL media ie. alcohol ahead of the necessity being, people kicking a football ie.food....

If the AFL is cutting budgets, media cuts should be a deadset 90% as a minimum

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Its not a couple of hundred, every reserves team is that afl clubs list plus a bunch of top up reserve players on 60k or so
That 'bunch' is more likely to be closer to, or more than, a dozen than 2. Multiplied by 18, it's a fair bit of additional salary kicking about.

Quite a few teams are currently running with 10 or more on their injured list. That's not to include those that will miss this week with a bit of soreness or managed (which happens plenty in normal season). If North Melbourne had a reserves team playing this week, they probably wouldn't have a single senior listed player in the twos, only rookies plus about 18 top ups.

If we can agree that it would be no less than 150 new players across 18 teams @ $60,000, that's a lazy $9mil you've got to find.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
That 'bunch' is more likely to be closer to, or more than, a dozen than 2. Multiplied by 18, it's a fair bit of additional salary kicking about.

Quite a few teams are currently running with 10 or more on their injured list. That's not to include those that will miss this week with a bit of soreness or managed (which happens plenty in normal season). If North Melbourne had a reserves team playing this week, they probably wouldn't have a single senior listed player in the twos, only rookies plus about 18 top ups.

If we can agree that it would be no less than 150 new players across 18 teams @ $60,000, that's a lazy $9mil you've got to find.

Those new players aren't getting brand new money from nothing though because they're already on VFL/SANFL/WAFL salaries... Plus with this new league you could broadcast it and get much better ratings than VFL/SANFL and make that money back from TV rights.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
It depends what the O&M clubs can afford. The salary cap has been met with overwhelming approval throughout suburban and country footy and the attitude of most is “the lower the better”. That’s because the story in most leagues is the same.... there’s a couple of clubs who can usually afford large payrolls, and the rest either get thumped or almost bankrupt themselves trying to keep up.

Except for very few examples clubs are run by extremely part-time volunteers and the job of increasing revenue is very difficult. That’s going to be infinitely harder with the economy in recession and small businesses going to the wall all over the place. Their sponsorship dollars are often the lifeblood of local clubs.
Of course. I mean the arms race to over spend and run at a loss hoping a sponser covers the difference will always be there, but by and large you're right, the club would have to pay for itself and that's getting harder, not easier.

What I'm getting at is that if a league, and I'm just picked O&M out because it's well regarded, decided to say that the $100k or whatever is too restrictive and prevents them from making an offers to get a Brendon Fevola, Setanta O'Hailpin or Josh Mellington to play; then they might consider the benefits of going it alone.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
This will be another Schermozzle.
The AFL need to come out with an actual plan.
Given that 2021 will be COVID affected again, I would imaging Southport, etc will return to their local leagues rather than have another season without play. Same with the old VFA clubs.
I would do this in Victoria.
Formally merge the old VFA clubs with the NAB League clubs as per existing alignments-
Box Hill Mustangs - Eastern Ranges
Sandringham Zebras - Sandringham Dragons
Coburg Lions - Calder Cannons
Northern Bullants - Northern Knights
Frankston Dolphins - Dandenong Stingrays
Port Melb Borough - Oakleigh Chargers
Werribee Tigers - Geelong Falcons
Williamstown - Western
Casey (along with Northern) is the weakest of the old VFA clubs. They are aligned with Gippsland but AU would drop them. Melbourne would probably keep playing reserves games at Casey.
Each clubs has a senior team and an U19 NaB team which also still plays against the country teams. Strong U19 players could play seniors like in WA. Hopefully ex U19 players would stay on the the club if they are not drafted.
You then have a 14 team AFL Eastern reserves comp.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
This will be another Schermozzle.
The AFL need to come out with an actual plan.
Given that 2021 will be COVID affected again, I would imaging Southport, etc will return to their local leagues rather than have another season without play. Same with the old VFA clubs.
I would do this in Victoria.
Formally merge the old VFA clubs with the NAB League clubs as per existing alignments-
Box Hill Mustangs - Eastern Ranges
Sandringham Zebras - Sandringham Dragons
Coburg Lions - Calder Cannons
Northern Bullants - Northern Knights
Frankston Dolphins - Dandenong Stingrays
Port Melb Borough - Oakleigh Chargers
Werribee Tigers - Geelong Falcons
Williamstown - Western
Casey (along with Northern) is the weakest of the old VFA clubs. They are aligned with Gippsland but AU would drop them. Melbourne would probably keep playing reserves games at Casey.
Each clubs has a senior team and an U19 NaB team which also still plays against the country teams. Strong U19 players could play seniors like in WA. Hopefully ex U19 players would stay on the the club if they are not drafted.
You then have a 14 team AFL Eastern reserves comp.
You do realise that these are Football Clubs that have members who would have to vote on this sort of thing? Not a snowflakes' chance of, say Williamstown, 155 years old, merging with some random entity like the Western Jets.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
You do realise that these are Football Clubs that have members who would have to vote on this sort of thing? Not a snowflakes' chance of, say Williamstown, 155 years old, merging with some random entity like the Western Jets.
Obviously the VFA clubs would take over the junior clubs who have no members.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The best suburban players do not want to play reserves. Even AFL reserves. More money and career satisfaction playing for community clubs.

If there were a national reserves and the best of the best from the 2nd tier played then they would earn more than what the best SANFL/vfl players earn

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The best suburban players in Melbourne already earn more than VFL players.

My god do you not understand? They would get a significant salary increase in the national reserves, because it's a much higher standard than the VFL and only the best VFL players would get in

Back