2020: Legitimate AFL Premiership or asterisk year?

How will history look back on the 2020 season?

• An Asterisk season like those of the war years.

• Completely legitimate Premiership no different from any other.

• Something we'd like to forget as quickly as possible.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

My team is just as likely as it is unlikely to make finals.

I don't rate it as highly as a premiership in another year, but that's because it is unlike any other year.

The team who wins it will celebrate, the teams that don't will say it doesn't count, neither is right and neither is wrong.

A premiership works like this - you're set a task each year to make finals, win finals and triumph in the last game of the season. There have been top 4's, top 6's, top 8's, varying numbers of teams in the league, different conditions, different demands, so on and so forth. They're irrelevant.

As Gunny Highway says ...

78601d72ac4bcb4a2203fd9b7a92f855.jpg

Completely legitimate. Like any other year, the best team will win it regardless of the circumstances. The current ladder also reflects list quality so it isn't any different.

I actually think it's both a legitimate premiership and an asterick year.

We have each team playing each other at least once and a finals and grand final based on qualified merit to decide the flag.

But I think the season is so extremely different to usual that the year should have an asterisk something like *adjusted season due to COVID19. This acknowledges the season break, shortened games and quarters, hubs, etc.

Why not both? I think they are both valid.

I actually think it's both a legitimate premiership and an asterick year.

We have each team playing each other at least once and a finals and grand final based on qualified merit to decide the flag.

But I think the season is so extremely different to usual that the year should have an asterisk something like *adjusted season due to COVID19. This acknowledges the season break, shortened games and quarters, hubs, etc.

Why not both? I think they are both valid.

This actually sounds similar to what my university did during the spring (North America) semester. They put a mark on my transcript stating I faced "extenuating circumstances (COVID-19)," but gave me the grades and credit hours I earned, and awarded my master's degree like normal. In a way, it could be argued that the team that wins will have earned its flag through similar extenuating circumstances.

This actually sounds similar to what my university did during the spring (North America) semester. They put a mark on my transcript stating I faced "extenuating circumstances (COVID-19)," but gave me the grades and credit hours I earned, and awarded my master's degree like normal. In a way, it could be argued that the team that wins will have earned its flag through similar extenuating circumstances.
Correct. I think the premiership is legitimate, but its so different from any other year in AFL that it should be noted. *COVID adjusted season. That would be enough for me to capture it, we know what that entailed.

Depends who wins it.

If it's a team that's had to do it the hard way, away from home pretty much all year, then it's possibly even an asterisk that it's even more meritorious than other years, but if on the other hand a club that has had the huge advantage of multiple home games (with crowd advantage) wins it, it's going to be a lot harder to take seriously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No offense, but if this year is an asterisk year then 1996, 1999, 2002 and 2004 should be asterisk years as well with that stupid MCG ruling
The asterisk isn't to diminish a flag, its not the same as those, an asterisk which I've supported and still support for 2020 is just to acknowledge the multiple significant differences of *COVID adjusted season. Thats enough to capture what is the most unique year in AFL history. It doesn't have to diminish a premier.

Now an asterix year
WTF, how so!?

Two teams that have done it the hard way in hubs for 100+ days and who haven't played in front of a home crowd (and who both beat teams that have played heaps at home in front of crowds, including in the prelims!), and who play the GF at a neutral venue?

Actually you're right, it does have an asterisk, to note that this will have been a more difficult one to win under the circumstances they dealt with than possibly any others.

How could you justify an asterisk beside it, it was undoubtedly the toughest year for all concerned ... but in the end the result was the same as in 2019. Richmond were premiers.

The best team in 2019 was still the best team in 2020.

The fact that the AFL actively embraces the amount of disadvantages and inequality between clubs during a regular season, the fact that the 2020 season was almost entirely neutral with sharing neutral grounds and hubs its almost the most legitamate premiership of the last few decades.

The fact that the AFL actively embraces the amount of disadvantages and inequality between clubs during a regular season, the fact that the 2020 season was almost entirely neutral with sharing neutral grounds and hubs its almost the most legitamate premiership of the last few decades.
Legitimate, illigetimate, gifted, earned, I don't mind. Any premiership we can win I'll take.

Back