Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

We still have a game in hand to those above us, we have won 8 in a row, were going to lose sooner or later, they are not a bad side. Tigers have a bye coming up and a tough game against Geelong. We could quite easily be a game and half in front of the Tigers by the time it all evens up. We have some good ins still to come, bad loss but not the end of the world.
eagles have top 4 in the bag. One of the Cats or Tigers will lose when they play each other, thus WC will jump the loser of that game.
Don't mean to impose but can you tell me what's wrong with Elliot Yo? Why is he out? You're missing his hardness. Fantastic player.

Wow, didn't actually notice Duggan being all that impressive.

23 touches, 9 contested, 5 marks, 4 tackles and 406 metres gained. Bloody decent.
After we got down four goals in the third, Duggan pretty much just said * this campaigners I'll do it myself. And boy did he.

You are wrong. Our strength was in the stands. Our forwardline was so decimated by injuries we were forced to play a 180cm small forward at FF and an undersized Darling as our one marking player.

Without Oscar and Waterman we lost marking power up at the wings so we got boxed in too often at CHB. No Kennedy means we not only lost his presence at Ff but also Liamcreating havoc further up the ground.

Without Yeo we lose 10 crunching tackles a game and a bunch of midfield presence, same with Redden, Nelson has been in career best form and most crucially none of the players filling these blokes is currently AFL standard.
Fair call. And all those should be back for October touch wood.

Their manic pressure is what worried me most tonight. No time and space for our players to create and get off effective disposals. Not sure how you can combat that - however healthy our list is.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

eagles have top 4 in the bag. One of the Cats or Tigers will lose when they play each other, thus WC will jump the loser of that game.
Don't mean to impose but can you tell me what's wrong with Elliot Yo? Why is he out? You're missing his hardness. Fantastic player.
Osteitis Pube....Peubu....Pubeu.....

His groin is ****ed.

We missed Redden's ability to hit a god dam chest with a handball. So many handballs to people's bootlaces.

Duggan looks quicker as the game goes on because he still has his top pace. He isn't that quick really but when he hits it at pace he can still create enough room for himself to really drive the ball forward. He was patrolling the centre square brilliantly and really getting it done at ground level. You need that when Shep is tied up with the most dangerous forward.

Cole's side steps and calmness under pressure are so valuable through the middle of the ground.

We still have a game in hand compared to top 4, all have a bye and Cats and Tigers play each other. Top 4 is certainly a chance if win all our upcoming games.1
Top 4 is guaranteed if we win all of our remaining games due to Richmond being only 0.5 game ahead and a bye to come.

Negatives -
  • Missed some crucial set shots.
  • We don't travel well and the teams we've beaten in QLD is the worst team in the comp (Adelaide) and an heavily injury depleted team (Sydney Swans). If we play like this then we'll go 1-3 at the end of the hubs.
  • Very fumbly.
  • AhChee poor and got manhandled.
  • McGovern and Barrass negated with Barrass always playing sh*t when we play the Tigers. Gov REFUSES TO PLAY ON A MAN. I was fuming when Barrass held Lynch (was the right decision that time) when it was going to be a three on one.
  • McGovern and Barrass will get exposed later in the season.
  • Sh*tty umpiring decision on Rotham.
  • We played Daniel Rioli into form considering how sh*t he is throughout the year.
  • JK out with concussion.
  • Cripps decision making ???
  • Contested marking was poor especially they had no Astbury, Broad and Grimes went down early. We're going to get killed in the air the next time we play them with the aforementioned players back.
  • Reid, asides from a decent debut, didn't give much, we may as well should have played Cameron.
  • Nic Nat negated.
  • We cannot handle their heavy pressure.
  • We're too fumbly in QLD.
  • Hurn looked off.
Positives +
  • At least we don't have to hear our sh*tty song.
  • I got my predictions nearly right saying the Tigers will win by 20 odd when it's slippery and it will be because their pressure will overwhelm us.
  • Cole was good and was one of our bests.
  • Duggan was also one of our bests.
  • Rotham was our best KPD.
  • Ryan carried our forward line when JK was off.
  • Darling was decent as the game got on but probably because Balta wasn't on him.
  • It was a four day break and we had to travel to QLD against a more fresher Tigers who didn't have to travel since the Port Adelaide game.

We just played Essendon in Darwin and our blokes haven’t been home for two months. You guys need to have some perspective here.

They nullify ours but we nullify theirs. It’s a genuine 50/50 every time we come up against them (ala Sydney v WC early 2000s) and the only thing that separates us is external factors or the team that gets the bounce of the ball on the day. Optus and first half of 2019 we killed them, 2nd half of 2019 and tonight they had the upper hand. The thing I dislike is when their fans and the Vic media don’t take it all into account and just circlejerk about Richmond being the new “dynasty”. They’re good, sure, but I’m pretty confident that we’re the better team when conditions suit us too. It swings both ways and like I said, genuine 50/50 that’s only separated by the slightest advantages.
It felt a lot like those 05-07 Sydney games, didn’t it? Every 50/50 call or bounce of the ball you wondered whether that was going to cost you the game in the end. Bit draining as a supporter when you’re hanging on the outcome of every contest for 2hrs....

We are getting some games into the younger players. Williams,rotham,cole,allen all going ok

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Wouldn't call it Nicnat domination IMO, these weren't like his other recent victims. Naitanui had his brilliant patch but they got on top of Bailey and our defense.

Oh for sure, Soldo/Nankervis won tonight. I meant Naitanui is pissed off and planning to murder them next time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only caught the last 20 minutes, but that was my 1st thought, Cole looks like a mid through and through. He made one weak handball towards the end of the game, but his evasive skills in traffic and good decision making stamp him as a natural midfielder.

Cant see why Simmo cant try guys like Cole, Nelson and Duggan in the midfield occasionally. Think all 3 of these guys have what it takes to play in there and can freshen up the like of Kelly and Shuey who can play forward for patches of the game

Positive: when is the last time we've had a young midfielder debut and look near best 22, 2 games in? O'Neill is tracking brilliantly. Has played pretty well against the midfield of GWS and Richmond. And was actually used as a midfielder for most of the game.

Obviously very early days but I'm looking forward to watching him develop.

Cant see why Simmo cant try guys like Cole, Nelson and Duggan in the midfield occasionally. Think all 3 of these guys have what it takes to play in there and can freshen up the like of Kelly and Shuey who can play forward for patches of the game
To be fair he has quite often this season. Cole and Nelson started on the wing at centre bounces last week. Duggan has played through the guts, notably in the Cats game.

I think without Redden and Yeo he's been happy to try it - we tagged Lambert tonight with Hutchings, which worked well in keeping him quiet but you'd say didn't influence the game as we'd hoped. Back to a pretty set seven man backline unit. I think Simmo is and has been willing to give them a crack on ball when the numbers and balance are right.

Positives:
Duggan was our best defender and provided great drive off the halfback.
Xavier didn't look out of place and did well for a 2nd game player.
I thought Ryan and Darling did very well considering the loss of JK.
Nic Nat did well.
The energy for the contest was good all night.
Negatives
JK making 3 of our first choice forwards out isn't ideal.
Barrass and Gov didn't have great nights. Richmond's style made that hard but Barrass lost a lot of 1v1's.

Others have already expressed it, but Reid isn't up to it. Swap for Cameron, defensively they're similar but Cameron is better with ball in hand and can kick a goal.

Liked snippets from what I saw from Xon and Williams, wish he'd goaled as he'd done everything right picked up under pressure, side step through the players then hit the belly of the ball.

We won the inside 50s and Tigers kicked straight. We gave some silly free kicks away inside 50, and umps gave some too. Scoreboard didn't reflect the game for mine.

+ Had a look at Duggan this evening and maybe, just maybe, he could indeed become a midfielder

He was exceptional tonight. His closing speed is underrated and he played with intent, and had a real go.

I never entertained this possibility before, but perhaps in a little more time, he just might get there.

Kudos to him, he played very, very well

Top 4 is guaranteed if we win all of our remaining games due to Richmond being only 0.5 game ahead and a bye to come.
It’s feeling a little too much like last year with the way it’s panning out. Losing to Richmond in a game that would have guaranteed us top 4 (and a chance at top 2). We should win all our remaining games.. but a 4 game winning streak is still no certainty regardless of the opposition. We really need someone to do us a favour and win an unlikely one against Brissie, Geelong or Richmond to give us more breathing room. If, before the game, you offered me a win tonight and a loss next Tuesday I would’ve given it a fair bit of thought.

Pissing me off just like it did last year, we can beat everyone above us (Tigers a 50/50) but the results outside ours just aren’t falling our way enough. There’s been a lot of games from the current top 4 that could have honestly gone either way. We’ve definitely had a couple of comebacks of our own that might have gone the other way, but our wins have all been pretty comfortable imo. Brisbane, Port and Richmond could have all lost 1-2 games each over the last month to significantly worse opposition but they all keep pulling it out the fire. We just need one to go our way, very similar to last year, where absolutely zero results went in our favour.

One thing that annoyed me was right at the start of the game when Shuey fluffed the changeover kick, then he got the ball again shortly after heading towards goals and tries some stupid pass to Darling in the pocket. You can kick those Shuey.

Maybe he was going for goal though and fluffed the kick? Either way, be nice to see him back himself.

Was awesome to see Duggan backing himself when he realised he had no options, sure he missed, but he had a crack.

Hats off to the Tigers, they were clean, sharp and switched on.
We were a bit off the pace with dropped marks and fumbling under pressure.
Good coaching form Hardwick, took away our aerial dominance, sharked our taps and shut down our forwards. Just incredible pressure from go to whoa. We need a plan for that blueprint?
But we weren't far off the game, and with better players back later, we're in with a good chance.
It was a full on learning experience for our handful of young players, welcome to the big time!
Hopefully they take it on board and step up.
My fantasy over reality was just a bridge too far with players out, travel, short turnaround, intensity.
Oh well, you win some, you lose some etc....
(Bombers fired up, us coming off a gruelling game..?)
Ps- nearly forgot my main man - Dirk Diggler! Love this guy and his crazy mullet!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back