Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure he was agitated because his players weren’t executing the game plan. Nothing the tigers did was a surprise, they executed their game plan, we didn’t. A combination of us having more inexperienced players and Tommy and McGuts down back playing poorly.
They had two first year players too. Can’t blame it on our inexperience, our senior players didn’t perform

Positives;

Perspective - Richmond played their hearts out, they kicked 14.1 with 3 rushed behinds. They had favourable calls early and rode that wave home. They don't really worry me too much come finals time I think we can beat them if we have a proper team to select. All this with Barrass and McGovern being a little bit off, Hurn being a bit slow, and our team suddenly being unable to do some very basic things. Coupled with Redden, Yeo and JK out and it is not as bad as it seems.

Gaff - Ran 1,500 metres further than the next closest blokes. 2 goal assists, 6 tackles, 7 intercept possessions. You could see the effort he put in during that game, especially late. The ball would not have moved if not for him going straight through the corridor and trying to draw the tackler and then handball off. Courageous running and sometimes you could see him drag Kelly or Shuey along with him.

Duggan / Cole - Neither was perfect, Cole tired late and those last 5 minutes weren't his best but both of these guys were quite exciting. Duggan with 11 intercept possessions, 4 tackles, 6 one percenters, 2 frees for, 6 rebound 50s. He was everywhere and his mindset was always to look to attack. Some of his kicks were not to advantage side, but that was true of the entire team.

Cole's side steps showed a real glimpse of what he can offer in a high pressure game. He can create space where there is none. His kicking is good and will only get better when going inside 50.

Shuey - I loved the intensity, didn't like the ball use. Loved the fight for the ball, the tackling, the harassing, the handballs. But his kicking was kind of trash tonight, along with most of our midfield.

Cripps - Thought he did a mountain of work for little reward. Applied pressure but was almost a lone hand in that regard.

Ryan at FF - Loved it, definitely want to see more of it at stages in games. The bloke is more of a lead up type and likes to have a clear run at the pack. Can cause defenders a lot of headaches and props to him for kicking straight lately.

Negatives;

Kicking - I don't mean pin point passes here, just kicking to a team mates advantage. That was some of the worst I have seen. Everyone was guilty at some stage throughout the game. The new kids looked bewildered and the senior players kept kicking it off the side of the boot.

Contested Marking - A team with Darling, Barrass, McGovern, Hurn, Ryan, Brander and Ah Chee, all of who are very good contested markers, should be able to register more than 2 contested marks for the game. Yes the kicking was some of the worst it's been in a while, even so it was quite bad.

Reid - Sorry mate, Cameron offered the same. Not sure what the answer is with the small forwards but none of them are offering much of anything.

Williams - Turned what looked like good opportunities into complete wastes. It is only game 1, but I would love to see Oscar back for his football brain. Williams is a good prospect but was lacking a lot of basic skills tonight.

Brander - Come on mate, impose yourself a bit.

Hurn - Where's the kicking skills? Yes you can hit targets, but you're not opening the game up and you are slow on defence, intercept marking seems to have escaped you.

Richmond's gamestyle - Vomit, let's be honest. It is like watching volleyball, they just jump and try punch it forward, then grab it and throw it on the boot. I wonder when the last time Cotchin actually looked down field is?
Dunt have to look very far...One of Cotchins first possessions was a pass straight to a leading Tom Lynch who went back and kicked the first goal of the game I believe.

You clearly don't like Richmond's game plan or the how high they wear their socks but damn do they do it well. They have skilful players all over the field and are easily the best team in the competition for drilling their entire playing group on how to play their system.

The difference tonight, unfortunately, was Barrass.
Had 5 goals kicked directly on him, caused another for a unnecessary downfield free kick and at least 5 of his 9 disposals were up-and-under 30m kicks from the back 50 that were all detrimental to West Coast. This just killed us.
Also two goals were kicked by the Tigers because McGovern flew for consecutive marks and dropped them both allowing the Tigers to crumb and goal. I think that if those two players had been competitive we would've been right in this game until the end.

Also I didn't even mention his stupid spoil into the centre corridor in the second quarter that Aarts swooped on and kicked the goal.
Needless to say it was a far cry from keeping Jeremy Cameron goalless four days ago.

Simmo has been weird this year. A lot more demonstrative than normal.

Also, the last couple of weeks, he seems to be making extra extra effort to be preppy and up and about. Obviously he feels partly responsible for setting the tone first time around.

I am not sure if Simmo was out coached per se. I think he didn't have the cattle to do what needed to be done to stop Richmond tonight.
Yeah, he has said a few things that we wouldn't have seen him say in other years.

I got the distinct impression he felt he was out coached. Our strengths have been.

Ruck dominance and clearances.
Marking game style. Contested and uncontested
Ability to convert from lower number of i50s
Intercept marks in defensive 50 and spread and rebound.

We were well down in these areas tonight. Can't expect all areas to be at peak levels each game but to have them negated like tonight shows he was out coached.

He looked really good pre draft, I was surprised he went that late

Rated him very highly - was easily the second best key defensive prospect of the draft after Naughton (who has now become a forward).

Much like Allen, slid because most of the clubs with high picks in 2017 were stockpiling on midfielders.

C.Dorre (Knightmare) had him rated 5th in his power ratings pre-draft if I recall.

He missed much of the combine testing with a knee injury, but smashed those that he did test in.

I was hoping he would last to us at pick 26, but Richmond came in at 25 and got a steal.

Got to give them this one.
Naitanui might've got the smallest fist to it but either the umpire was blindsided or he decided to reward the tackler (which I won't object to).
Naitanui had an opportunity to release and held on a split second too long.
There were a number of controversial frees, but I wouldn't classify this as one of them.

The current interpretation is ruining our game. I honestly am not sure how NN could have disposed of that any sooner, short of starting the handball motion before he even had the ball in his hands. And I don't think that's fair on the player trying to win the footy.

AFL should be a game of skill. Kicking, handballing and marking. Not a game of bundling the ball forward in any manner possible out of fear of giving away a free because they tried to execute a skill to their teams advantage.

While I am all for a stricter interpretation of prior opportunity, this needs to be a genuine opportunity.

I wasn't able to see the game so take this with a grain of salt, but it didn't seem like a lot went our way and we weren't exactly smashed off the park. If we meet again this year, 4-5 goal swing back in our direction is certainly feasible.

But we gotta turn it our around very quickly because another Queensland loss will see things start getting into our heads.

Tonight the club once again struggled to move the ball from defence against an opposition high press.

Gold Coast, Port Adelaide and now Richmond. The next three games feature two more opponents in the Bulldogs and St Kilda who are likely to setup similarly.

Against such systems, the club needs to have an alternative to the long kick out that is picked off by the pressing sweepers which result in repeat opposition forward entries.

Under such situations additional spares need to be generated behind the ball to:
  • provide additional defensive cover against the pressing counterattack.
  • assist at ground level when the ball is spoiled inside defensive 50.
  • create an opportunity to receive a short kick and pressure relieving mark.
  • give an avenue to initiate running possession chains that can pull the pressing zone out of shape and break it.
Considering the way Richmond set up and the current crisis of quality affecting the forwards, it may have been more apt to play an extra in defence at the expense of a forward position.

The only time they were nullifying him was when they were tackling him down in the ruck contests.
Nic was instrumental in turning the game back our way. If anything it was the ineptness of our mids that quashed his influence.
He had 5 clearances, 11 contested possessions, 8 hit outs to advantage and set up virtually all of Kelly, Shuey and Sheed's clearances tonight.
Soldo and Nekervis combined had 4 clearances, 12 contested possessions and less hit outs to advantage than Naitanui.

He certainly wasn't disgraced, but Naitanui should have bossed those hacks and he didn't. I bet he will in September/October though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He certainly wasn't disgraced, but Naitanui should have bossed those hacks and he didn't. I bet he will in September/October though.
I didnt see the game but I bet NN did a lot of tap downs to no one again.

If theres nothing happening I dont know why he doesnt smash it inside 50 every now n then.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was a high pressure game that sorted the wheat from the chaff. About half up for the fight, about half not for one reason or another.

- ve. Reid this guy isn’t at the standard, one of the worst ever players, Jetta could do better with one hand tied behind his
back;
Ah Chee - had an absolute stinker, but we don’t have much else.
Brander - like Ah Chee, has talent but timid, needs one position
Hutchings - not best 22, hard, but skills are deplorable;
Williams - hard game to debut in, tried but very raw
O’Neill - hard game for a youngster, showed signs, improved on his first game;
Kennedy - knocked out with a knee so no impact;
McGovern - punched in the head at the first contest and didn’t do much after

A few other players were so-so;

+ ve Duggan and Cole really good this year, have lifted their games;
Sheppard good as always;
Gaff, Shuey, Kelly, Cripps good;
Ryan good;
Sheed got a lot of the ball but turned it over
Darling doesn’t like Metricon but he can kick straight

it was going to be very hard to win this game. Down six b22 players if Nelson is counted. Four day break, coming back to Queensland. They were harder than us but we can improve. No reason why we can’t win the next four games. This is the hardest game.

Dunt have to look very far...One of Cotchins first possessions was a pass straight to a leading Tom Lynch who went back and kicked the first goal of the game I believe.

You clearly don't like Richmond's game plan or the how high they wear their socks but damn do they do it well. They have skilful players all over the field and are easily the best team in the competition for drilling their entire playing group on how to play their system.
Cotchins 10m kick was very skillful

Tonight the club once again struggled to move the ball from defence against an opposition high press.

Gold Coast, Port Adelaide and now Richmond. The next three games feature two more opponents in the Bulldogs and St Kilda who are likely to setup similarly.

West Coast can only hope that their next 3 opponents set-up like Richmond did last night. It'd give WC a good look at it, as well as some additional experience in how to deal with it. WC will face it again perhaps in the interim and definitely come finals time, as teams will see it as the blueprint on how to beat WC. WC brains trust need to get their heads together real quick on this issue and make the necessary adjustments.

New directives for the backs would be in order too. Play the percentages. Too many wannabe hero's trying to mark instead of spoil.

This was a great game, forget the negatives, plenty of positives to come out of this game.Great to see two contenders showing up playing high quality footy. Unlucky with JK, don't think even with him on the field it would have mattered last night. When a game is played at that level and both teams high end players are playing well and executing, it comes down to how each teams bottom 4-5 players cope with pressure and that was basically the difference as tigers bottom 5 were hard to pick last night, they all played well. Considering we have Nelson, Yeo, Redden, Allen and waterman coming in, should we play tigers again and play with similar intensity, it should get even closer. Fantastic game of footy, pitty we couldn't win. Forget all the noise and chit chat going around footy world, Richmond are outright flag favourites, period!! Their A game when its on is better than any other teams A game even if it's on. I still think The only team that could trouble them is us.Port, lions have no clue. Cats will put up a fight but only one end( defence) and will eventually break. The only team that has enough power at both ends and quality in middle to match them is still West Coast. What a quality game. I hope we get to face them again in GF.

The current interpretation is ruining our game. I honestly am not sure how NN could have disposed of that any sooner, short of starting the handball motion before he even had the ball in his hands. And I don't think that's fair on the player trying to win the footy.

AFL should be a game of skill. Kicking, handballing and marking. Not a game of bundling the ball forward in any manner possible out of fear of giving away a free because they tried to execute a skill to their teams advantage.

While I am all for a stricter interpretation of prior opportunity, this needs to be a genuine opportunity.
nic is usuallly brilliant with his hands - on this one he was caught even though Shuey was there to receive.

how so? We’re all on 13 games except for Richmond? So it’s even now. Port and Brisbane won’t lose any more games.

I'd suggest you check the ladder again, Richmomd have played 14 games after last nights game and after this round so would have Brisbane, Geelong and Port, whilst we have only played 13. Brisbane have the bye this rnd the loss cost us a chance to be level with them on wins.

Byes to come Cats rnd 15 whilst we play Bulldogs, win and we are only one game behind them.Tigers have a bye in rnd 16 whilst we play Bombers, win and we are half a game in front of them. Rnd 17 Tigers and Cats play each other , one will obviously lose and we play Saints and win. If Tigers lose we will be a game and half in front of them with one round to go. Win all our next four and we will go top 4 without a doubt, it will just be a matter of where we finish, with a few upsets we could finish as high as 2nd, but more than likely we will finish 3rd.

I've had some time to think about this game, and I think we shouldn't be too negative about the outcome, but it's obvious that Hardwick gave them a good plan, and their players executed it very well.

- Lynch/Riewoldt spoiling their own I50 marks to bring it to ground. This has two effects. One is it brings in their smalls, which are lively and dangerous. Our small held up very I think, however, more importantly, spoiling means it takes McGovern and Barrass' intercept game away from them. Subsequently we weren't able to chip/mark out of D50. This shows in scores from back half, where we were way down and scored 7 points for the night. This strategy is a variation on Port's "dirty ball" from round 5 last year, but the desired outcome is the same "stop Mcgovern intercept marking, stop West Coast coast to coast transition at it's source".

- Tigers defensive set up at stoppage. How many times did we see Nic with a hitout down to Shuey and Cotchin was right on his tail and was able to hold him to slow him down without giving away the free kick. We won clearances, especially out of centre bounce, but they were able to curtail the damage we did out of centre bounce and at stoppage.

- Their depth. They currently have Astbury, Prestia out of the team. They're big outs for them, but I wouldn't be able to tell you who their worst players were. Their depth got us. I truly believe we can and should beat them if both teams are at full strength, but they are able to cover for injuries better than what we are. If we meet again, our chances will hinge on our best players being available and in form.

- It may sound odd if you say it to oppo supporters, but tonight showed just how important Allen and Waterman are to our structure. As another poster pointed out, the absence of Waterman and Allen (and Kennedy) allowed them to box us in, and subsequently large portions of the game were played in their front half.

- If you look at the stats, you would say "oh oh, those stats look exactly like the ones from earlier in the hub". Watching the game, you could tell that the boys are better prepared for this stint, willing to fight for ground balls, contested possessions etc. Richmond did well in nullifying our brand, but we should be confident about our next 4 games.

My hope is this loss gives Simmo and the coaching group lot's of intel on what we need to work on, and insights on how teams will try and stop us come finals. It's now up to them to review and plan for when this type of match up occurs again. Because it is what we will need to overcome if we want to win the flag this year.

I'd give the points to Richmonds rucks. Might've been different if Williams kicked a goal or two like he probably should've.

Nic had a brilliant 2nd term, i'd say the majority of his hitouts to advantage came in that quarter when he jumped all over them. He also kicked a class goal.

Other side of that coin, he coughed up a direct goal to them, and his ruckwork was nullified in the second half. Don't recall too many clean getaways or sublime stoppage work after half time, it was all a struggle.

AFL.priddis saying he was beaten, unsurprisingly.

Let's just say if you were a Richmond fan (yuck) you'd have been very happy with Soldo and Nank.

Still won the contested possessions, clearances, tackles, and one percenters :whitecheck: :whitecheck: :whitecheck: :whitecheck:

All without Redden and Yeo.

The effort was there, the execution not so much.

The real disappointment, and glaring stat was the contested marks. We got beaten in the air, which is our one wood. Gross, humid night weather got us again.

Really bad night from McGovern IMO.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back