Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
Mod Notice:-

Continued from here:-

Continued here:

Just like to thank Aphrodite and the other Carlton mods who started the Bluemours NON Discussion Thread and who have kept it free of chat over the past few years.

It helps so much when you just don't have the time to read through this thread, cheers and great job.

Last edited by a moderator:
20 game season is perfect. 10 home 10 away.
Everyone once. Plus then 3 double up blockbuster games to keep TV happy.
Rivalry Round, Heritage Round and Charity Round.
Means we likely play Collingwood Essendon and Richmond twice every year.

Don't need any more time than the current season.

Cut out the preseason Mickey Mouse bullshit, saves 3-5 weeks. No bye weeks including before finals. that is 5-7 weeks saved, plus the 23 games already in the season. Only have to find room for 4-6 extra games within the season and it can be played during the same time period.

Send 4-6 teams to each hub for a condensed period like the 20 days straight where teams played 4 games in that time frame. Might even be able to slip in a bye or a prolonged break for each team if enough games can be condensed 2 or 3 times within the season. Kind of like mini tournaments between games with normal breaks.

Clubs have larger lists and players may not play every single game of the season. Up to clubs to manage their training and playing loads.

Just saying it is possible, if there is a will to do it.

Seems like an idea that works on paper but is totally against the interest of the players. You are talking about the need to add 12 rounds of football and have found room for an extra 6 weeks. I Don’t see how or why the players would agree to something like that, voluntarily go in to hubs away from family purely to extend the season, as a fan I don’t even think it sound appealing. Other sports would also fight to block it.

As we are a competition that is about a grand final, a 34 game season that only serves as essentially a 6 month qualification round doesn’t make much sense, I don’t see many other leagues at all who do something similar.

The equity of the draw would be nice, I think it could be achieved in better ways though. A longer season wouldn’t surprise me though, just don’t see a season that long ever happening.

If Covid-19 is a factor next year they might be best looking at pools/hubs.
Two pools of 9 teams.
One in Qld/NSW, the other in WA/SA.
Vic teams get to nominate their hub in reverse ladder order.
9 teams play each other twice
Crossover finals

20 game season is perfect. 10 home 10 away.
Everyone once. Plus then 3 double up blockbuster games to keep TV happy.
Rivalry Round, Heritage Round and Charity Round.
Means we likely play Collingwood Essendon and Richmond twice every year.

Good for money, is it good for the comp? If you are picking your opponents on commercial interests, then the comp will be lopsided, as much as I don’t think a 34 games season works or would be good, it’s the attitude of the AFL (And clubs) towards the fixture that has caused the issues.

Its nothing to do with being fair and everything to do with Carlton playing some of the big teams twice, Essendon playing Collingwood twice, certain games being on certain dates no matter what, certain teams dominating certain nights to maximise $$$$.

The 17 round season has been great for balance but bad for business, 22 games is ok but why 22? I’m open to more games, as it would even out some cracks, I wouldn’t be surprised if there were more games next year, we will see

You will never get equalization unless there are 34 rounds, which I feel is too much, but you can improve the fixture

Play everyone once, 17 games

Then split the fixture into 2 groups based on ladder positions, odds and evens. Play each team in that group, another 8 games.

This would be a fairer system playing a range of clubs at every level of quality at that point in time

25 games, then move on to finals

Seems like an idea that works on paper but is totally against the interest of the players. You are talking about the need to add 12 rounds of football and have found room for an extra 6 weeks. I Don’t see how or why the players would agree to something like that, voluntarily go in to hubs away from family purely to extend the season, as a fan I don’t even think it sound appealing. Other sports would also fight to block it.

As we are a competition that is about a grand final, a 34 game season that only serves as essentially a 6 month qualification round doesn’t make much sense, I don’t see many other leagues at all who do something similar.

The equity of the draw would be nice, I think it could be achieved in better ways though. A longer season wouldn’t surprise me though, just don’t see a season that long ever happening.
NBA plays 80+ games and a finals series in in about 6 months, with games all over the USA.

It can be done if they wanted to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree

1st v 18th
Game would be still be sold out, only about 100 Crows fans would be in the crowd of 40k+ though.

You will never get equalization unless there are 34 rounds, which I feel is too much, but you can improve the fixture

Then split the fixture into 2 groups based on ladder positions, odds and evens. Play each team in that group, another 8 games.

This would be a fairer system playing a range of clubs at every level of quality at that point in time

That's much better than the splitting of top six, middle six and bottom six who then play games amongst themselves.
It's still a lot of work and making things up on the run which the league don't like for a variety of good reasons.

Our concerns should be more about getting this game back to one that people want to watch, rather than worrying about the fixture just now.

The 8 game phase is based on performance in first 17 rounds and takes out any predetermined bias of blockbusters etc.

More logical and fair...... unfortunately these are unfamiliar concepts for the AFL.

NBA plays 80+ games and a finals series in in about 6 months, with games all over the USA.

I know next to nothing about basketball, so my questions are:

- how burdensome on the body is basketball compared to AFL? Fitness levels, movement, contact, injuries, etc?
- how much recovery time is required between games?

I guess you could add a rivalry round to satisfy the masses/coffers
Don't go soft arrow.......you get a rivalry game in the first 17 rounds, that's enough. It's a national game, let's create new rivalries.

The unpredictability of who you will play in the 8 game phase until the end R17, will generate more interest in the game for more fans than watching PA thrash Crows twice in a year.

I don’t see NBA as a close comparison, 5 on court compared to 22, average distance in the NBA 3.2km, AFL 8.5km, massive massive $$$$ increase and with players and teams on the road for the majority of the season.

Their season is 8 (2 months) or so weeks longer and it’s not that it isn’t possible, I don’t think it’s workable or would be wanted.

I would be quite concerned with the future of the game if the AFL went down that path, all of a sudden 16 players on the ground, then the grounds are probably too big and who knows what other crap would happen.

Now if we were to go to a championship, where the top team wins and why wouldn’t they, they have proved over a 34 game season home and away that they are the best, then I wouldn’t mind it, but that in itself has just as many unintended consequences.

The 8 game phase is based on performance in first 17 rounds and takes out any predetermined bias of blockbusters etc.

More logical and fair...... unfortunately these are unfamiliar concepts for the AFL.

Not all blame lies with the AFL, the clubs want the blockbusters, even at the expense of wins, when we finished last and were supposedly meant to have the easiest draw, did we give up the blockbusters to play more of the bottom sides?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back