Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Still pissed off by multiple defenders flying for marks

This is giving me the sh*ts too. I dont know where this has suddenly come from but its crept into the team during the last few weeks and it needs to stop.

If the ball is coming in high and a pack is forming at the drop, bloody NOMINATE amongst yourselves who is going to fly for it FFS.

FOLD THE CLUB :shrug:

+ Tommy Cole was outstanding. Very cool under pressure and looked like our most creative defender tonight. 21 touches at 81%

+ Solid 4 quarter games from Sheed (26), Shuey (27) and Kelly (26)

+ Darling answering the call in the third. Turned out it was a cameo performance more than anything, could've had 5.

+ 16 touches, 4 marks, 2 tackles and 315 metres gained for Xavier is a big tick. Literally better than anything "Mr A" has done in his career.

+ Frustrating night watching Ryan, it could have been enormous. 12 touches, 3 tackles, 3 goals and i'm presuming a shitload of score involvments.

- Not sure of his contract status but Hurn really shouldn't be continuing his career beyond 2020. He's borderline not B22 at the moment.

- Reid surely in the OUTS this week. Gone a week too late on that one i reckon. Disappointing he was retained and we paid the price for it.

- Really DON'T want Brander in the backline. Looked so unassured of himself back there. This game was a backward step unfortunately.

- Quiet game from McGovern. Had a feeling that'd happen, he rarely gets off the leash against them since they learned their scrappy gamestyle.

- Couldn't get our game going AT ALL. No kick and mark. No switching. No clean skills by foot. No ball movement. We threw it all out tonight.

- Conversely we let the Richmond flogs play their absolute typical and disgusting game. In fact we tried to play it as well, bad idea.

Hurn should have been rested athis age with a four day break.

Especially with the the Tigers forward half game plan.

Still pissed off by multiple defenders flying for marks, the bar of soap dropping front and centre instead of being smashed to the boundary line where we could reset with Nic Nat, and Richmond small forwards kicking the easiest of goals. Rinse and repeat.

We simply do not adjust for the conditions. Inexcusable.
How much of our continuously poor ground ball stats are as a result of this? Too many flyers. Even Reid was going up for marks at one stage.

This is giving me the sh*ts too. I dont know where this has suddenly come from but its crept into the team during the last few weeks and it needs to stop.

If the ball is coming in high and a pack is forming at the drop, bloody NOMINATE amongst yourselves who is going to fly for it FFS.

Do we nominate who will get blocked as well?

Two is ok......but yes we dont need 3 or 4.

Me three. I mean, this is seriously U/11’s stuff.

One, or at most two, up in a marking contest is what you’re taught on Tuesday and Thursday nights as a young pup.

Instead we have Gov, Barrass, Shepp and Duggan all flying for the spoil or sometimes even the mark. All while they have Castagna, Rioli, Aarts and Bolton waiting for the ball to come to ground right in the hot spot 30m from goal for a quick snap.

I reckon their accuracy from those snaps is because it would be like a training ground set piece for them.

Their manic, pressure game built on bringing the ball to ground and fast, small forwards that know where the goals are would require that exact quick snap from a ground ball scenario as a goal kicking exercise at every training session of theirs I’d imagine.

So serious question. I havent watched the game. Do I bother?

I wouldn't.

Cole and Duggan are solid. Darling kicks 3 goals in 5 minutes at the end of the 3rd.

Xavier cracks in all game and tries hard punching out of his weight.

Apart from that it's pretty trash. Save yourself the annoyance of the umpires.

I know it’s just one game but way to many are saying nothing to worry about. Offering possible reasons etc etc .
The reality is that any team that brings constant pressure to us we simply don’t like it and are very vulnerable. There is no getting away from it and it happens time after time.
It happened last year against the Tigers, we were at our best running into the finals, got off to a flyer and then Richmond stood up to us and we fell away. Hawks did it to us when we had the world to play for on our home deck and we offered nothing.
Port bullied us this year as did Gold Coast and we fell away. It is real that we succumb to pressure.
We are a very good team on our terms and we have won a flag playing our way, we have not though since that time stood up to sides who take our game plan away from us and really good sides find a way.
It is an issue that needs addressing and it’s one that has not been addressed for sometime now.
We are in this season up to our eyeballs but we need to find a much harder edge to our game as a collective if we are going to compete with sides like Richmond who know how to stop our game plan over 4 quarters.

Me three. I mean, this is seriously U/11’s stuff.

One, or at most two, up in a marking contest is what you’re taught on Tuesday and Thursday nights as a young pup.

Instead we have Gov, Barrass, Shepp and Duggan all flying for the spoil or sometimes even the mark. All while they have Castagna, Rioli, Aarts and Bolton waiting for the ball to come to ground right in the hot spot 30m from goal for a quick snap.

I reckon their accuracy from those snaps is because it would be like a training ground set piece for them.

Their manic, pressure game built on bringing the ball to ground and fast, small forwards that know where the goals are would require that exact quick snap from a ground ball scenario as a goal kicking exercise at every training session of theirs I’d imagine.

Nearly all of their goals came from this, or free kicks (most of which were there imo)

We handed it to them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably our weakest line up we have fieldied this year, especially with Jk out all game to we were probably missing 7-8 of our best 22.

Yet despite this, if you told me pre game we would win contested ball and essentially break even in inside 50s, I’d have said we still win the game 9/10 times.

To me if our defence (in particular our tall defenders) play even half as well as last week we win.

The big negative to me was how bad our defensive talls were. I honestly cannot remember a worse game barrass and gov have played collectively.

Last night i reckon 3/4 of richmonds goals were from frees given away by our talls or failure to kill the ball out of bounds resulting in an easy crumbing goal.

Potentially in these qld conditions we need to look more at killing the ball out of bounds, rather than risking the spilled mark. Was a big issue last night though granted richmond were very clever with their chaotic inside 50 ball

I wouldn't.

Cole and Duggan are solid. Darling kicks 3 goals in 5 minutes at the end of the 3rd.

Xavier cracks in all game and tries hard punching out of his weight.

Apart from that it's pretty trash. Save yourself the annoyance of the umpires.
I didn't see much of Xavier - I will do the replay.
I thought Hurn was actually solid and is power through packs was of value. Half backs never look flash when forwards and mids don't follow their man to defend. How often was a contest one on 3-4.
I was harsh on JD but he actually compted well agaisn 4-5 each time.

Our skills and ball use were well down on our usual level - due in large part to Richmon'd pressure - but I also think we were bottling it a bit, especially early.

Barrass and McGovern were very disappointing. Barrass particularly so.

It's no surprise that it was our smaller, nimbler blokes (NN aside, cough freak) who suited the conditions and Tigers' playstyle. Cole, Duggan, Ryan, Cripps, Shuey, Gaff, O'Neil etc. I think Nelson would have been right at home. But I'm not sure what different selections we could have made given injury and form.

Selection headaches aside, our MC need to review the tape because they were outcoached last night in various respects.

Reckon if we are to meet again that maybe schofield should be in the frame if fit. Could be a lockdown on either lynch (maybe not for size but for pace) or reiwoldt. Frees up gov or barrass for the intercept. If we keep Rotham in (which I think we should being part of our future) then we would have a tall backline. Think scho and Roth are mobile though and maybe it's hurn who has to move for balance.

Maybe Hurn becomes our big bodied midfielder who just puts on blocks creates a hurn brick wall for our other midfielders to use (aka Daniel Chick). Would blow up with how he is moving atm within the first bounce but would get one bounce out of him haha.

Jetta needs to come back but needs a new role as the backline looks settled without him. Would still love to see him on the wing delivering more into the f50 but not sure he hunts the ball enough to make the position work for him.

On SM-N950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

BS. Our game plan can beat them.

They are a good team, we need to match their pressure, and once we win possession, and eventually get a clean possession we can switch on our standard play.

I think we weren't clean enough last night. Lots of contests we were one handpass away from a clean possession that should of allowed us to start our kick mark, but we missed that last hand pass and were under pressure again.

I dont think the team walk away from that game with any concerns about coming up against the tigers. Not saying it would be easy at all, but they would know if they do their job right they will beat them.

Im sure the tigers would do the same. They should have concerns about the few times we cut them up moving forward leading to easy goals.
Tried mentioning some of these points to their fans and some of them have their heads so far up their own arse, its unbelievable. They’re definitely a good side but I don’t fear coming up against them again if we get Yeo and Redden back plus JK playing a full game (they did have some outs too tbf but I feel ours would push the team just a little bit further on the hardness and structure level).

It took a full game of absolute arse to push the margin out to what it was. It deserved a 2019 type finish and that’s exactly where our two clubs sit. Genuine arm wrestles every time we face them but we can take them for sure. The way some of them carry on it’s like it’s an absolute certainty before the bounce.

Last night was just a huge opportunity missed to push them out of the picture the same way they did to us last year. It’s us or them again, we can both handle the rest of the teams comfortably imo. Just need to be in a good enough position after the next 4 games to launch from.

Really hope we can see some results in our favour, kinda sick of everyone else pulling results out of their arse, amplifying our slip ups.

Our skills and ball use were well down on our usual level - due in large part to Richmon'd pressure - but I also think we were bottling it a bit, especially early.

Barrass and McGovern were very disappointing. Barrass particularly so.

It's no surprise that it was our smaller, nimbler blokes (NN aside, cough freak) who suited the conditions and Tigers' playstyle. Cole, Duggan, Ryan, Cripps, Shuey, Gaff, O'Neil etc. I think Nelson would have been right at home. But I'm not sure what different selections we could have made given injury and form.

Selection headaches aside, our MC need to review the tape because they were outcoached last night in various respects.

I found McGovern far more disappointing than Barrass, at least Barrass tries to pick up his man. If Gov can’t stand on his own all night and get things his way he pretty much gives up and spits the dummy as if it’s all to hard. Barrass was competing at least, Gov may as well stayed in his hotel room.

How was XON in your negatives Bacchus? Second game against the best team in it and looked alright. Going to be a solid player!
Fair point. I thought XON played quite well, improved on last week when he wasn’t horrible anyway, showed some good signs especially the kick to Ryan, but I thought that in a high pressure game like last night he wasn’t quite at the level. This is not to say he won’t become a good player, but our bottom six were worse than Richmond’s. Duggan and Cole have taken 50 - 100 games to get to where they are now. We were carrying more very inexperienced players than Richmond and it showed in the result along with missing our two hardest midfielders and two best lead up forwards. Our form improved earlier in the year when Waterman and Allen started playing.

Last edited:
Really hope we can see some results in our favour, kinda sick of everyone else pulling results out of their arse, amplifying our slip ups.
Do we dare to dream that the purples can do us a solid next Wednesday night?

Imagine how torn their fans would be if they beat a genuine contender but it was massively to the benefit of “the slime”.

Where they came up with that pejorative for us still mystifies me. Goes to the intellect of your typical Freo fan I suppose.

Problem with this idea that we just need to withstand the pressure and stick to our kick-mark game is that Richmond’s defenders are all very good overhead as well.

So if we can’t run and handball (because that feeds into Richmond’s plan) we also can’t kick it to contests because Darling will get beaten every time. Kennedy being out exacerbated it, but Balta absolutely destroyed Darling one on one.

If our supposed aerial advantage in the forwardline is nullified - and Richmond seem to have worked out how to nullify McGovern and Barrass in the backline - then we are kinda screwed.

We need to win or halve the aerial contests up forward, and crumb/pressure better if it is halved. Unfortunately all of our key forwards are more leading types. It would be great to have one gun pack marker to make Balta more accountable.

Accuracy hurt us, they were dead eye and we were hit and miss.
Too many inexperienced players out there against the 2nd best team in the comp, not that we have a lot available but would like to of had Jetta at least out there.
Kennedy out as well as missing Waterman and Oallen had a massive impact on forward structure and entries.
We got the higher amount of free kicks but OMG the amount of holding and scragging off the ball Richmond get away with is laughable. They may of got less free kicks but they definitely got more goals as a direct result of the ones they did get. Also loved how we finally got an in the back and holding free kicks when Richmond got a 30 point lead.
Too many Eagles flying for speccy marks and ending up spoiling each other, there is a thing called crumbing the pack, look at Richmond.

Throw Yeo, Redden, Kennedy, Waterman, Oallen in there and we get a different result, you would expect.
The inexperienced players out there at least gained a bit of high level experience.
Duggun getting better every week, he and Shep are invaluable ATM.
Darling had a good game too being pretty much our only "Tall" forward. Constantly out numbered, held and scragged but making a contest.
Ryan did well but could be so much better if he realised you don't need to go for MOTY every contest, LEARN TO BLOODY CRUMB.
All up score board didn't reflect the contest, was much closer and we didn't play that bad. Richmond just very good at what they do, run in numbers, scragg, harrass and hold and just keep the ball going forward. We probably need to take a little on board ourselves to be honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back