Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Brereton is a pain to listen to, but when he spends time really looking at the game, he has very good insight.

Bartlett actually knew his stuff but played back-seat to all his guests, with most not having anywhere near the understanding of matters Bartlett had.

Schawrz was dopey but at least he was genuinely dopey and tried to fire up some interesting discussion.
I miss them.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I totally agree that station is almost unlistenable now. How on earth Dwayne Russell is worthy of a talk show is beyond me.
It's hard to understand how Hutchy has built a successful business when he has created such a mess with a prime asset
this affirms my opinion that, other than our bloke Moore and the late Jack Dyer, nothing good comes from a Richmond connection.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Ox eviscerates Hutchie on the latest Sacked podcast. Good listen.
Ox had seemingly matured as a host, and person, when he was let go from SEN. I liked his seemingly honest approach. I am still surprised at SEN’s change in direction. Not sure what the listening stats indicate, but I personally cannot stand listening to that station.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
For those that miss the purist footy banter that SEN used to deliver so well, I recommend listening to Rowey and Bicks on 5aa. Despite that It’s SA centric, footy is at the heart of those 2 hosts. It’s just nice to listen to pure footy s**t delivered by ex players and listeners that love their footy.

Last edited:

cookie monster

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
NY Giants
Brereton is a pain to listen to, but when he spends time really looking at the game, he has very good insight.

Bartlett actually knew his stuff but played back-seat to all his guests, with most not having anywhere near the understanding of matters Bartlett had.

Schawrz was dopey but at least he was genuinely dopey and tried to fire up some interesting discussion.
They are all on 3aw now. :D

Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton

Interesting article on early 2000s and the dark days... Haven't listened to the podcast but maybe later today.... I'm really just getting over it all now that we seem to be heading in the right direction on and off the field...

I started going to training about a dozen years ago and naturally there would be quite a difference in training methods, accountability, discipline etc but I must say even back then I wondered how some players seemed to be allowed to do what they wanted.
Players Grigg, Waite, Betts, Hampson and later Yarran, McCarthy, Davies, Garlett seemed to do just go about things in their own little worlds.

The drivers of standards to my eye weren't Judd by direction and certainly not Murphy, by any means.
What I saw was Kreuzer, Scotland, Carrazzo, Walker (when on the park) and even lesser lights such as Ellard pushing others.
Sure, players stood out now and then, but the overall tone was many notches lower than what we see now.

I can only say that I'm glad they have changed, but I don't know how things were allowed to track the way they did.

I started going to training about a dozen years ago and naturally there would be quite a difference in training methods, accountability, discipline etc but I must say even back then I wondered how some players seemed to be allowed to do what they wanted.
Players Grigg, Waite, Betts, Hampson and later Yarran, McCarthy, Davies, Garlett seemed to do just go about things in their own little worlds.

The drivers of standards to my eye weren't Judd by direction and certainly not Murphy, by any means.
What I saw was Kreuzer, Scotland, Carrazzo, Walker (when on the park) and even lesser lights such as Ellard pushing others.
Sure, players stood out now and then, but the overall tone was many notches lower than what we see now.

I can only say that I'm glad they have changed, but I don't know how things were allowed to track the way they did.
Classic case of the tail wagging the dog.

We sack the coaches, not the players who wouldn’t play for/gave up on multiple coaches.

Bokan

All Australian
Dec 21, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone got a readable link to the Lawrence Angwin story in the HUN today ?

Am very interested in reading it. What a waste of a talent.
Not much in it. Pagan talking about what a rare talent he was but he has zero tolerance for drugs. Angwin now married with a child and living in the country. Everyone is happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back